Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung UN40EG5300F - 4 inch wide vertical stripe on side of panel

Good morning all -

I have an interesting one today. I'd like to get some feedback on the feasibility of fixing this one before i put parts/cash into it.

Basic info:
    TV: UN40EH5300FXZA
    Panel: CY-DF400BGLV1H
    Main board: BN94-06882E
    T-CON - BN95-01211A T05
    Power: BN44-00666A (L40GF_DDY)

Notes:
    -Power rails to the main board appear to be stable. (13V, and 5V present).

I picked up a Samsung UN40EH5300FXZA the other day. When I power it on, i notice a 4 inch wide stripe on the right hand side of the screen, but the TV image remains dark. After opening the TV, i noticed the T-CON is mounted at the bottom of the unit. (From here on out, I'm working with the TV upside down so i can easily access the T-Con.)

There are 3 blue LEDs on the T-Con:
    • LED1 - 12V (?)
    • LED2 - (?)
    • LED3 - AVDD

As-is, when i turn the TV on, all three LEDs illuminate for a split second, then LED2 and LED3 turn off. LED1 stays on. I found a high resolution image of the board from shopjimmy.

If i disconnect the left ribbon cable to the panel then all three LEDs illuminate and the TV appears to boot up and i see the Samsung Smart TV logo on the other half of the panel. Interestingly though, the 4" wide bar is still present against the white background.

The opposite is true as well, if i only leave the left ribbon cable connected to the T-CON, all three T-CON LEDs stay on. Seems like it's over-currenting.

The presence of this bar seems to indicate to me that the panel is bad. Thoughts? Is this worth taking apart to look at the bond tab or the circuit board the T-Con attaches to?

Thank you,
    Thomas
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ngth82; 03-11-2018, 11:22 AM.
    -Thomas
    I'm a hardware engineer focused on networking equipment for my day job. I void warranties and fix consumer electronics for fun.

Re: Samsung UN40EG5300F - 4 inch wide vertical stripe on side of panel

I removed the front bezel plate from the tv and looked around for bad parts. I came across this (see pics). Looks like liquid got down into the panel. Once again proving liquids and electronics don’t mix! I’m going to clean this up and hope it’s not permanently damaged.
    Attached Files
    -Thomas
    I'm a hardware engineer focused on networking equipment for my day job. I void warranties and fix consumer electronics for fun.

Comment

based on the picture, it is unlikely that cleaning is going to help as it appears the some traces have been compromised to the point that there are no longer there. :-( but you have nothing to lose... at least you can part out with the knowledge that they come from a working set that had "panel damage".

Comment

That does not really look like liquid. Ok the parts on the bottom of pic 2 yes but the traces look likes solder? Anyway its probably shorted.......

Im curious to know if you can clean and repair it.
        I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

When I took it apart, I found some residue on the corner above the corrosion. This was on the panel surface. My bet is that it was something other than water. .. soda for example. (Sorry, I didn’t mention this earlier)

I was able to clean it. No trace damage on the PCB itself. No short across the cap either. However... this is the best part - The flex cable has one spot that caught my eye when the unit turns on - a spark. I pushed on the flex cable a bit with a q-tip. The spark went away. There is definitely a defect (a hole!) on the flex cable.

The tv powered up. The 4” wide Vert bar is still there. I was able to get video displayed. Looks like this panel also has horizontal lines with it too. See pics.

The upper left is perfect. And it gets progressively worse as you work your way right and down to the bottom right.

I’m going to put this back together for now, do a little research and see how much things are worth. I’ll try posting it as-is online as well.

Thanks for the input thus far. It’s a really nice looking tv. Too bad this one is a damaged panel. :/
          Attached Files
          Last edited by ngth82; 03-11-2018, 02:59 PM.
          -Thomas

Comment

the reason for the horizontal lines is likely because the area at each corner of the panel feed the sides especially if there are side tabs. The damage in the corner shown not only impacted the source driver section but also the side. If there are no side tabs, then you can likely use the "tape method" at the tcon to panel connector (ie. block a small portion of the conductors that feed the side.... lots of posts for this) and if you are lucky, you may get rid of the horizontal issue. It is unlikely you will be successful at the vertical band though... there was a post of a 70 in (I think) where the person found a "hole" burnt thru the corner source tab..... the screen worked fine except for a black band on the outer edge of the screen... similar to yours.... the poster left his alone as opposed to trying to fix it whiich could make a bigger problem for the source driver in that area.

Comment

Hi Budwich -

Thanks for the reply. I'm just getting back to the TV. I posted this on FB Marketplace and i got a flood of people asking "what's wrong with the TV" and "why are you selling it so cheap" and "i'd like to buy it!" People need to read the post and description. But I digress.

Interesting. Thanks for the background info and the tape method. I looked on the form and found some information about it. For me the TV has multiple horizontal lines going through it.. and fairly evenly spaced from the top to bottom.

I made a short video clip and posted it here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/fqdSBkT5BO6AZUXw1 . You can clearly see the horizontal lines on the menu (you can see it on any static image)

This TV does not have side tabs by the way.

I'll have to look at it Monday evening. I already have the TV reassembled so it was off our small coffee table .

-Thomas
              -Thomas

Comment

Can you test the surface mount caps and resistors on the board just below the ribbon? I have an LG that had a similar issue and I was able to replace a bad cap which made the strip very less noticeable almost impossible to see at most times. This was not an easy fix this was very difficult . I would recommend only if you have nothing to lose and are thinking of scraping it. My TV did not have a hole or horizontal lines.
                Attached Files

Comment

The cap is not shorted. There was 16V across it. I can definitely replace the cap though. I have an nice metal soldering station. Just need to get some SMT caps and try. A 25V rated cap would work. These are probably local hold up. I’ll pull the existing one and test it on my cap meter to get in the ballpark. It won’t hurt to try .

The resistors seemed to be okay too. The real trick is finding the right values if I touch the resistors.
                  -Thomas

Comment

Update: I sold the TV locally as-is. I got some cash for it and I didn't have to get it disposed of.

I did take a second look at the flex cable. There are at least two traces that are shorted, and there is a hole in the cable itself just below the TCP.

Thread closed.
                    -Thomas

Comment

Working...
                    X