Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's got tricks for detecting a cracked LCD in a dead set.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who's got tricks for detecting a cracked LCD in a dead set.

Nice looking job there. Congrats!
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I'm actually not happy with it. I used LEDs from a 55 inch of the same series, because I didn't want to wait a month for new ones from China. It appears they have a different color temp. On a white screen, I can see the difference. I guess I'll figure out what they are and order them. This is why I prefer to replace every LED, even if they aren't bad. Takes a bit longer, but you get a Mich better result. It's going to a friend anyway, so I'll just redo them if he complains.
      Attached Files
      ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

Originally posted by lookimback View Post
        I'm actually not happy with it. I used LEDs from a 55 inch of the same series, because I didn't want to wait a month for new ones from China. It appears they have a different color temp. On a white screen, I can see the difference. I guess I'll figure out what they are and order them. This is why I prefer to replace every LED, even if they aren't bad. Takes a bit longer, but you get a Mich better result. It's going to a friend anyway, so I'll just redo them if he complains.
        That's not different colour temp, that's a dirty/damaged or misplaced diffuser.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
          That's not different colour temp, that's a dirty/damaged or misplaced diffuser.
          I'm going to open it back up then. I think it's because I didn't scrape the old adhesive off.

Comment

Now that i see the full white screen, i understand why you are not happy. I agree with tom66 though, it looks like an alignment issue with the diffuser, not different colour temperature of the replacement LEDs.
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

I'm redoing it now. After several attempts, I just found a trick to get perfect alignment. I put the UV adhesive on, put the lens in place, then I turn it on and adjust the lens until I see an even ring of light in the center.

Comment

Here's a side by side comparison. Notice the ring is off center on the one on the left. Welding helmet makes it way easier too. These things are bright.
                Attached Files

Comment

What's the UV adhesive you've been using ? I've been using Super Glue Gel but I've seen a little clouding caused by the fumes so am looking for an alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                    What's the UV adhesive you've been using ? I've been using Super Glue Gel but I've seen a little clouding caused by the fumes so am looking for an alternative.
                    5 second fix. Its at Walmart in the as seen on TV section. I did about 60 LEDs with 1 tube. Its about $5. Got the idea from Shopjimmy. He has it in one of his kits.

Comment

Originally posted by lookimback View Post
                      5 second fix. Its at Walmart in the as seen on TV section. I did about 60 LEDs with 1 tube. Its about $5. Got the idea from Shopjimmy. He has it in one of his kits.
                      Thank you, seems it's available from ebay. I've just ordered some.

Comment

That's my go to source for most supplies, but I needed it right away.

Comment

It's definitely better.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I'm pretty sure the yellow areas are caused by the white solder mask discoloring. I might have had the heat too high. I'm going to get the LED rework station from Shopjimmy for the next one. Also going to get some white solder mask to do touchups on future sets.

Comment

Never put it in the ad.
                              If someone texts me offering one, I just say I don't buy broken ones.
                              Otherwise, people will realise their broken ones aren't worth anything, and will make them appear good.
                              That's my theory, at least.
                              Are you saying you get the ones you fix for free?

Comment

I think he said he gets the cracked screen ones for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                                  Oh, ok.

Comment

Most of the sets I get in for rework and sell through are free issue, thinking about this most of the consumer electronics I get in for rework and sell through are free issue as televisions only make up a proportion of my work.

If I buy in any televisions I pay between £10 and £15 so long as the set is complete and in otherwise good condition subject to inspection, currently I don't pay for broken screen sets as I have a large collection of boards. this gets reviewed from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                                      If I even bother with it.
                                      I rarely get TVs for free, but usually don't pay more than £10 or £20 - and that's if I'm super confident I can fix it.
                                      Once fuel, and my time and then selling it are accounted for, I don't make a lot.
                                      Being a professional engineer pays about 100x as much...
                                      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

If I even bother with it.
                                        I rarely get TVs for free, but usually don't pay more than £10 or £20 - and that's if I'm super confident I can fix it.
                                        Once fuel, and my time and then selling it are accounted for, I don't make a lot.
                                        Being a professional engineer pays about 100x as much...
                                        There really is a lot invested once you put a value on your time. I don't really mess with anything other than LED now, unless they're free. I just can't see myself buying a TV, then spending $60 or more on a part, and still making a profit that I feel was worth the time. I support myself doing this, and I can't do customer repairs because of space limitations in my 12'x13' shop(and that's feet not meters), so I have to make every TV count.

Comment

I tend to mess with plasma, because I find diagnosing and repairing those fun.

Recent example, the Samsung PS43E450 I had it which was shutting down. It was free from a friend for helping him out with another TV.

I was able to trace the fault down to a random ceramic cap.

I liked that, because it was a cryptic, challenging and yet inexpensive repair - I think the best type!!

And I sold that TV for £130, take away about 20 miles to deliver it outside of the city, not bad, but not a good hourly rate.

Comment

Working...
                                          X