Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LG 60PB690V Clicking noise. Could it be the main board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 60PB690V Clicking noise. Could it be the main board?

While I was watching it suddenly switched itself off and then started clicking. Red LED on and of with a clicking sound of the relay. So far I have done the following.

1) Disconnected XSUS and YSUS boards form the power supply board, still clicking

2) Disconnected the main board, no more clicks.

I have measured some voltages from the PS board with the main board disconnected from it: VS - 324V, VA - 73V, 5V - 5.2V

With main board connected to the PS 5V voltage changes as relay is clicking between 0 and 5V

Is my conclusion that the mainboard is faulty correct? Is there anything else that I could try to be sure? Anyone knows where I could get a replacement (EBT62904801)?

More details:

TV: LG 60PB690V-ZC.BEKLLJP
    Power supply board: EAY63168603
    Mainboard: EBT62904801

Re: LG 60PB690V Clicking noise. Could it be the main board?

I wouldn't be rushing to buy any board at this stage. That Vs is very high so what is printed on the panel lable for Vs and Va voltages.

Comment

I had a look at the panel label. Voltages should be as follows:
      VS - 205
      VA - 56

I have disconnected all board from the power board. After powering it on initially VS voltage varies kind of randomly between 208V and 280V and VA varies between 55 and 78V.

I came back to measure voltages again after few minutes (power supply board was on all the time) and I have measured stable VS 326 and VA 72.

1) Does that mean that power board is faulty?
      2) If yes could it had already damaged other boards or is it rather unlikely?
      3) This power supply board (EAY63168603) is quite hard to find. Is there a common fault or bad components that would cause described symptoms and voltages?
      4) Is there anything else that I could test, check, measure in order to help?

Comment

I have tried to include some pictures of the power supply board. I have also measured the resistance of the 2 highlighted resistors (without desoldering them) Both resistances were close to 0.
        Attached Files

Comment

That Vs is far too high but should be tested while loaded. You can try and check resistor values with colour codes on net (good luck!!). You may be able to find a tutorial similar to this one by search.
          Attached Files

Comment

I have replaced the power supply board. There no more clicking sound, the tv switches on and stays on but there is absolutely nothing on the screen. The screen is just black and there is no sound. There is no way of checking if the sound works as I cant access any menus. Any suggestions what I could check or try next?

When I connected the new power supply board I adjusted the VS voltage from 208V to 206V. On the panel, it says that VS should be 205V and VA should be 55V.

Comment

I am still trying to figure out what is wrong with this TV. With main and YSUS boards disconnected and only ZSUS board connected to the power supply board, I have measured the voltage on test point labelled 18V on the ZSUS board and I am only getting 3.8V. Voltages on the output of the power supply board were normal and as labelled on the connector when all boards were connected. With disconnected YSUS board VS and VA are slightly high 225 and 65V respectively. This is with a 'new' power board. Does that mean that there is something wrong with ZSUS or does this 18V have to be somehow activated or switched on by something and is not present if TV is not on?

Comment

Did you see this?
                https://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-60PB5600...-/182150591514

Comment

Thanks for the link, but after I have replaced the power board I am not getting continuous clicking and my red led does not come on at all after I plug the tv in. I just get one click and that's it; even with YSUS board disconnected. My main suspect is ZSUS board because it doesn't give 18V to the YSUS. I am still waiting for someone to confirm that this 18V should be on the ZSUS board even if other boards (main and YSUS) are disconnected from the power board

Just to clarify. In this TV YSUS is connected and powered by ZSUS which is connected to the power board. The logic board is connected to the main board which is then connected to the power board.

Comment

And this is why you're supposed to post a pic of the WHOLE back of the panel so we can see ALL the boards and how they're connected together.

The 18v line is usually created on the YSUS and delivered to the ZSUS.

Comment

This model is commonly known to have a Y-sus failure. I would check all transistors on the Y-sus including the ones on the back side of the board that look like the ones found on the newer Panasonic SC boards.

Comment

I have attached the picture of the tv layout. Some boards are disconnected as I am still trying to pinpoint the fault. I have also attached ZSUS picture with 18V test point visible. There should be also 18V output to the YSUS, but I have only measured 5V there (outside pin of the connector, labelled 18V)

I have already checked the transistors on the YSUS by using an ohmmeter and by measuring the resistance between connectors of the transistors (without desoldering them). I have checked all large transistors which have heatsinks. I did not find any shorts. The only short I found was between outside pins of the diode D443. I have also found a short between pins of the other diodes but outside pins of those other diodes are simply connected to the same point on the PCB.

I still don't know why there is no 18V on the test point on my ZSUS. I tried to measure this voltage with just ZSUS board connected to power supply and all the other board disconnected.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I can't be 100% sure, but it looks like the 18volts comes from the Ysus, I cant make out the transformer location number but it is the one next to the VY adjustment. That transformer supplies D203, which connects to iC201 which I think is the 18 volt regulator
                          I think that transformer also supplies the VY voltage

Comment

I tried to measure the voltage at 18V test point on ZSUS again this time with ZSUS connected the power supply board and YSUS connected to ZSUS just to check if I get 18V on ZSUS from YSUS. The main board was also connected to the power board. Buffers were disconnected. Tape connectors from ZSUS and YSUS were also disconnected.

No 18V on the test point on ZSUS.

Does that mean that I should focus on YSUS rather than on ZSUS? If yes what can I do next?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick's Tvs View Post
                              This model is commonly known to have a Y-sus failure. I would check all transistors on the Y-sus including the ones on the back side of the board that look like the ones found on the newer Panasonic SC boards.
                              Is that failure also common to the 42" LG plasma TVs made around 2007-2009?
                              I have one that has the same clicking problem.
                              It will run for a while, then it shuts off, and it sounds like a relay clicks repeatedly, as if it's trying to power up but can't.
                              Sometimes, it'll work for a few hours before the failure occurs.
                              Sometimes only 30 minutes or so.

Mine is a 42PC3D-UD.AUSLLHR
                              Last edited by fortj3; 01-18-2018, 08:38 PM.

Comment

fortj3, please start your own thread.

The ysus creates the 18v and passes to the ZSUS, usually through the ribbon cable that passes through the control board. Hard to tell in your pics - it may be passed back through the power cable traversing the top of the panel. Find out which one carries the 18v and try to isolate it from the ZSUS to see if you have steady 18v. The Zsus could be dragging down the voltage.

And don't run the set with the screws removed or you'll get all sorts of anomalous readings or worse.

Comment

I have included pictures of the ribbon socket (which goes to the control board) P100 on the YSUS. There is nothing about 18V on the label of it. I have also included the picture of the power socket on YSUS (which goes to ZSUS) P130 which has 18V on the label. I am thinking about removing 18V wire from the plug going to P130 and then checking if I have 18V on the P130 output from the YSUS. This would allow me to see if there is a fault on the YSUS or if the ZSUS is dragging the voltage down. Does that sound like a good idea? I am planning on keeping the mainboard disconnected from the power board and buffer boards disconnected from the YSUS while I search for the 18V.

And yes, I will put the screws back in.

I am also still puzzled by why after plugging in the set it doesn't seem to go into standby mode; red LED at the front of the set is not on. I would like to make sure that the new power board that I have put in is not faulty. I have attached the pictures of the sockets on the power board. I have measured the following voltages on the socket going to the main board:

M_ON - 0.6V
                                  RL_ON - 0
                                  5.2V - 5.3V
                                  GND - 0
                                  GND - 0
                                  5.2V - 5.4V
                                  5.2V - 5.4V
                                  GND - 0
                                  17V - 17.7
                                  AUTO_GND - 3.6V
                                  AC_ON - 5.3V
                                  17V_DET - 2.4V
                                  VS_ON - 0.7V
                                  GND - 0
                                  VS_DET 2.8V
                                  5.2V - 5.4V
                                  GND - 0
                                  17V - 17.7V

And the following on the socked going to the ZSUS:

VS - 229V
                                  VS - 229V
                                  x
                                  GND - 0
                                  GND - 0
                                  VA - 61V
                                  M5V - 6V

I am not sure what 17V_DET. Do the voltages look OK to you?
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Latest development:

It was suggested to me that if the plug is disconnected when TV is on the main board will not switch into standby mode. So I have connected all the boards back together, connected the TV to the mains and then I switched it off by pressing the power button on the remote. The tv went into standby mode. Then I started testing if sound works ok. I plugged a source (PS3) to one of the HDMI's and to my surprise after switching the TV on with the remote not only the sound came on but the screen also showed a normal picture.
                                    So I have put the back cover back on, put the TV vertical where it normally stands and switched it on. Everything was fine for about 15 minutes. Then the screen went black again...

I have tested the sound and the remote and they seem to be working fine so I assume that mainboard and logic boards are fine.

I am thinking about replacing Y and Z SUS boards. If the TV worked for few minutes is it fairly safe to assume that buffers are actually OK?

Comment

Did you check the solder joints under the transformer on the ysus ?

Comment

I got LG 60PB690V. Was completely dead -PS voltage OK. I didn't had 18V on Z-sus coming from Y-Sus. Repaired Y-sus and picture is coming on for split of seconds than going very dark. Changed Z-sus and still same - on for a split of second and goes off to very dark picture. No response on remote control and Led on main logic control blinking: long,short,short pause, long, short, long pause.
                                        Does anyone knows blink pattern of LG 60PPB690V? Please, help
                                        Last edited by perox; 03-19-2018, 07:58 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Working...
                                        X