Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sceptre X32 stays on for about 10 minutes, then turns off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sceptre X32 stays on for about 10 minutes, then turns off.

I thought I fixed this thing. Everything I read on the internet said that if I just replaced all the electrolytic capacitors on the power inverter/blacklight board I would be fine. I did that, it's still doing the same exact thing. It stays on for about 10 minutes, then the picture and sound go off but the power LED stays blue like it does when the TV is on. If you unplug it and plug it back in, it does the same thing, although the second time it won't stay on as long, so I think it has something to do with some component malfunctioning when it gets hot. The internet also told me that it was almost definitely not the huge capacitor on the board so I didn't change that. The power supply in question is the Megmeet Mip320G. I want to watch the World Series on this thing instead of lighting it on fire and furiously throwing it out of the window so if you can help me out that would be awesome. I have a multimeter and I am not afraid to die.

Re: Sceptre X32 stays on for about 10 minutes, then turns off.

Nothing, eh? Well thanks for the all the help, folks. Guess I'll light this stupid thing on fire and throw it out a window.

Comment

Where on the internet - did you use low esr caps - is your set the same type as in this thread https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...hlight=sceptre
      If so suggest you work through that thread doing the tests and posting the results.
      You may be correct that it is a heat problem - check your soldering?
      Switch it on and use a hair dryer gently in various places to see if heat in certain locations makes it go off quicker, then try and locate the component or joint. Use a card tube to localise the heat. Do not overheat the boards.
      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by poppacappin View Post
        Nothing, eh? Well thanks for the all the help, folks. Guess I'll light this stupid thing on fire and throw it out a window.
        Not a real nice attitude or approach for getting help. Most people on here do this as a hobby and are busy with other things. Bumping a thread to see if you can get an answer is one thing but a reply like this it in my opinion rude. Enough of my rant and good luck on the repair.

Comment

Pictures of the board will help. I would inspect really close on the solder joints on the power supply board, take the voltage readings when the TV is working, and when it does not work so you can see which voltages have disappear. That will be a start, hard to troubleshoot without at least the pictures.
          Never stop learning
          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Sorry for being rude, I'm just incredibly annoyed at this stupid thing. Thank you for replying. The new caps are all Nichicon PW series, which are low ESR (or at least I bought them thinking they are). The picture in that thread is not the same as mine and his problem seems slightly different, it seems like Sceptre made a ton of different X32 TVs that are different, which is not helping me fix my problem. I will look through that thread, though. The full model is the X322BV-HD. I attached 4 pictures I took before I "fixed" it, I can open it up tomorrow and take a more detailed shot of something if you'd like.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by poppacappin View Post
              The new caps are all Nichicon PW series, which are low ESR (or at least I bought them thinking they are).
              Bought from where? Can you post a pic of one show top and bottom as well as sides.
              Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

Most Manufacturers will have the same model with more than one versions of the same model, that is why it is important for use to see your boards. So let me look at your pictures to see what I can do. So far I can see that it is a power supply-inverter board combo type.
                http://assets.shopjimmy.com/media/ca.../mip320gam.jpg

OK, check and see if the STBY, 5V and the 12V pins voltages go away when it goes blank, we know that the 5VSTBY is OK because the power LED stays on.
                What are the labels on CN7 (next to the 4-pin connector), I cannot read the printing? Also check the DC voltage right at the two legs of the large filter cap (450vdc) to see if it drops down from 370~400VDC to 160vdc.
                bottom side pictures of the board will be needed too.
                Last edited by budm; 10-31-2013, 05:38 PM.
                Never stop learning
                Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Could it be a thermistor cutting the power?
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Thanks guys, I don't have time to do this right now but this weekend I'll bust her open again and report back. The caps are from Digikey. And that picture is just like the board inside mine.

Comment

Caps should not be the problem then. When you get to open it up again try the
                      hairdryer trick , check for bad solder joints and post closeup pics of the connectors, clear enough to read the labels. Check the working/non working voltages as Budm requests.

Comment

I after reading posts here, I took to changing the caps closest to the power supply, the Large one was the most predominate one and close to the line in, so it was the first one I changed. TV works great now! It use to come on, flash the Sceptre Screen, and then go off within 5 seconds.
                        I would try replacing the big one. -Namaste

Comment

My Sceptre X32 has the same problem. It stays on for 10 minutes, then picture and sound go away but power light is still on. I took it apart and documented the power board - I noted the CAPs in the lower picture. Anyone think I should replace certain caps or try all of them from the picture:
                          Here is the link to my picture
                          http://clayfolk.com/sceptre/sceptre_X32_power.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                            Caps should not be the problem then. When you get to open it up again try the
                            hairdryer trick , check for bad solder joints and post closeup pics of the connectors, clear enough to read the labels. Check the working/non working voltages as Budm requests.
                            What's the hair dryer trick?

Comment

I tried replacing the whole power board on my x32. The same problem occurred: TV shuts off after 7-9 minutes. I am a bit of a novice, should I try replacing the next board, the backlight board, or just give up and take it in to a pro?

Comment

follow up: I took the Sceptre to a local repair shop, after working on it for 45 days, they declared the Sceptre "unfixable". The moral of my story is don't buy a Sceptre.
                                In the meantime, while waiting for the repair, I found a Samsung 20" LCD TV in the trash at the loading docks at work. I opened it up, saw the bloated caps, ordered new ones, installed them after receiving them. My Samsung repair was about 4 days start to finish, even with the shipping time. About $9 in caps. I still had to wait weeks to get the Sceptre back (now declared dead).
                                The repair guy told me that Samsungs were the "Chevys" of the TV s.(easy to work on and repair)

Comment

Originally posted by clayguygreg View Post
                                  follow up: I took the Sceptre to a local repair shop, after working on it for 45 days, they declared the Sceptre "unfixable". The moral of my story is don't buy a Sceptre.
                                  In the meantime, while waiting for the repair, I found a Samsung 20" LCD TV in the trash at the loading docks at work. I opened it up, saw the bloated caps, ordered new ones, installed them after receiving them. My Samsung repair was about 4 days start to finish, even with the shipping time. About $9 in caps. I still had to wait weeks to get the Sceptre back (now declared dead).
                                  The repair guy told me that Samsungs were the "Chevys" of the TV s.(easy to work on and repair)
                                  Why did it take so long for them to work on it?? I wouldn't be surprised if a house could be built in that time!
                                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Every time I called they would tell me about a different board that they had to order- or they were waiting for a part to come in. I guess every board was bad or something. Then they described weird things that it was now doing that it had never done before.

Comment

I replaced a Sceptre 32" X320BV-ECO for a Customer that was turning off after random amounts of time with a screeching sound until it was unplugged.
                                      The TV had been shutting off after progressively shorter times over the last month. It would not shut off or reset without unplugging it.

When i opened it I noticed swollen Caps on the Main Video Board.

1st one is by Power Supply feed header in between Inductor and Tuner (Cheng 1000uf 10v). Barely noticeable but very dead.

2nd & 3rd are by the Speaker header (Cheng 470uf 16v).

HOWEVER... In my haste to measure power supply voltages... My meter lead hit the supply leg of the Back light Mosfet (FDPF-5N50FT) promptly shorting it out. This caused MEGMEET MP320P to throw a self protect Blink 7 times Code (Onboard Diag LED). So I replaced the Mosfet and the bad Caps with their 25v versions. Put everything back together and It has been running perfect for 8 hours now. Before repair it wouldn't last 5 min.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

I just started using the forum today and received enough information to solve the issue of no picture no sound by attaching a laptop to the Sceptre x32. Amazingly the sceptre splash came up and then I was able to access the Menu. I found a setting at Menu/Others with a checked box for "No signal power off". I unchecked this box and the TV is now fully functioning.

The issue first appeared when my Mothers satellite connection went down. The Technician told her the TV was fried and I just didn't buy it.

My assumption is that when this box is checked and you do not have any input such as cable or satellite the TV does not start though it shows the blue led that it is getting power. When I attached my laptop it was seen as input and allowed the screen to open.

Thanks to the contributors on badcaps forum I found some tips that led me to the solution.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                                        X