Samsung Plasma PN42C450B1D - IGBT keeps shorting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung Plasma PN42C450B1D - IGBT keeps shorting

This set originally had two shorted IGBTs on the Y-Sus board.

I ordered some replacements from China and installed. But upon plugging power cord in one of them keeps shorting from collector to emitter and set won't power on just hear a couple relay clicks and goes back into standby.

I confirm it's only the Y-Sus board by unplugging it and set comes on (with no picture)

Bad parts or something else going on?

Here's a pdf I found of the IGBTs
    https://www.scribd.com/document/231709293/RJH30E2
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung Plasma PN42C450B1D - IGBT keeps shorting

First off. Have you done resistance checks after removing the shorted MOSFETs? D4006 looks blown and I bet your gat e drive IC at U4006 is shortred as well. This will cause your new MOSFETs to not stand a chance
    Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
      First off. Have you done resistance checks after removing the shorted MOSFETs? D4006 looks blown and I bet your gat e drive IC at U4006 is shortred as well. This will cause your new MOSFETs to not stand a chance
      It's not blown I checked. There's a red paint mark on it that makes it look blown in the pic.

I've done resistance measurements from ground to the collector/emitter pads with the mosfet off and don't get any alarming readings

Comment

I had the identical board and bought some RJH30E2 from China. The left one shorted upon applying power. There was another thread on here with the same and suggested they were fakes.
        I bought a second lot of RJH30E2, installed and they were fine.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
          I had the identical board and bought some RJH30E2 from China. The left one shorted upon applying power. There was another thread on here with the same and suggested they were fakes.
          I bought a second lot of RJH30E2, installed and they were fine.
          So only one would short everytime? I wonder why only one would short and not the other if they're the same type?

Comment

Originally posted by caphair View Post
            So only one would short everytime? I wonder why only one would short and not the other if they're the same type?
            The left one (looking at your photo) definitely failed, the right one might have but I don't remember. I did nothing extra apart from order a second lot, which worked fine.
            Perhaps they are factory seconds and not quite up to spec ?

Comment

check the gate drive resistors , if you have an open this will destroy the igbt

Comment

have you checked el.caps on the power board especially on vsus?

Comment

Working...
                X