Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EPIA ML Re-Capped but does not power-up

Hi,

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what could possibly be wrong with a VIA EPIA ML mainboard that has been re-capped (1500uf and 1000uf capacitors replaced in their entirety) however unfortunately still does not boot?

Further details can be found on the following thread:-
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...0151#post70151
    (thought that I'd better start a new thread as the mainboard has been re-capped now).

There are smaller electrolytics on the mainboard is it recommended that these are replaced also?

Understand that there could be a whole multitude of problems with the mainboard preventing it from powering up however would like to give reviving the mainboard a good try as would like to use it for a fanless NAS server (if possible).

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
    Kind Regards.

Re: EPIA ML Re-Capped but does not power-up

check for solder splat around joints. check joints, should be volcano shaped, if ball shaped, then you have a cold joint, use your iron/station to remelt it into the volcano

make sure you didn't split a trace around a joint (killed 2 mobos this way). if so, then RIP to the board

make sure cpu, memory, etc is on good

check power supply for bad caps. post brand

did you remove the cmos battery when soldering?

ps- your name is newbie2linux, what distro are you using? i use ubuntu and recently learned how to modify .deb files

hope your linux experience goes well
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
      check for solder splat around joints. check joints, should be volcano shaped, if ball shaped, then you have a cold joint, use your iron/station to remelt it into the volcano

make sure you didn't split a trace around a joint (killed 2 mobos this way). if so, then RIP to the board

make sure cpu, memory, etc is on good

check power supply for bad caps. post brand

did you remove the cmos battery when soldering?

ps- your name is newbie2linux, what distro are you using? i use ubuntu and recently learned how to modify .deb files

hope your linux experience goes well
      Hi, Thank you for your reply. Checked the soldering and all seems okay however did notice that the desoldering pump that was used did cause slight damage to some of the solder pads. Ensured that the plated through holes had solder running through them and that any of the solder pads that were slightly damaged had continuity with the track that they were joined to.

Gave up using a desoldering pump as it was causing too much damage. Learn as you go along though.

Successfully recapped mainboards previously however this particular mainboard was a nightmare in fairness. Typical as quite a lot of cash was spent on low ESR capacitors.

What do you recommend is used for keeping open / opening up the holes in the solder pads?

All of the power supply capacitors have now been replaced as far as I'm aware. Do you recommend that any of the smaller electrolytics are replaced also?

Not entirely sure what the fault was on the mainboard prior to recapping the 1000uf and 1500uf electrolytics but had hoped that there was a chance that the electrolytics were the cause of the mainboard not booting.

Cannot remember whether the CMOS battery was removed whilst removing and replacing electrolytics think that it was however cannot remember for certain. Did not know that the original fault was which doesn't help.

Am a newbie to Linux and have been using Ubuntu the same as yourself however do not claim know a lot about .deb files or anything like that. Like the OS though.

Best Regards.

Comment

i use a spring-loaded solder sucker, like i have here: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...chmentid=10559 (my recapping tools- red thing is the solder sucker). some say thatkind is bad because you keep having to cock it, i like it because you can cock it and have it ready so once the pad is hot, then you can suck (the solder). also, this kind is easier to clean- keep a can wd 40 handy because after cleaning sucked solder out, you want to spray the inside of the barrel with it to maintain a good seal/prevent jamming. some like the rubber bulb type- i don't like having to squeeze that much- takes too much time, also, the bulb is a bit cumbersome to me and they cannot be cleaned, solder will fall out sometimes when desoldering.

oh, you will get the .deb thing- check ubuntu forums for any ubuntu questions. if you have any old computers, try xubuntu- abiword might suck, but install openoffice and you are good to go- uses gnome software even thogh it is xfce based a9both gnome and xfce are written on gtk)

enjoy! and happy birthday to me today
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
        X