Mach Speed with bad Caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mach Speed with bad Caps?

I've come back to revive an old topic. I replaced all of the 1500uF capacitors on the Machspeed board, and its been running like a champ ever since. i had noticed reviews about the board in regards to RAM and similar issues. My guess is the shotty capacitors is what caused the issues. I am quite surprised a recall was never issued for the board. I decided to buy the sister company's motherboard. The JetWay J939GT4-SLI-G 939. It is exactly the same motherboard. When I get some time, I'll take a picture of the boards side by side. Other than the colors of the boards and the PCI slots, there is absolutely nothing different about the 2 boards. Even the parts to make the boards were the same.

Four months into having the board, I'm getting the exact same issues I had with the Machpeed board. Well, guess what I found....and not so much to my surprise? I noticed a capacitor by the RAM slot had popped open. Kind of a shame really. It's a nice motherboard.

I will say, the capacitors don't come out very easily. I've had to remove the solder, slide the shell off the pins, and then heat the pin while using needle nose pliers pulling the pin out. I hate doing it that way as it can damage the solder point on the board, or more. Very tight squeeze on the original part. Putting the replacement part in was also a slight squeeze, but not too bad. I've found that heating the hole with the iron, and poking a sewing needle through it with pliers, often clears a solder hole. Solder usually won't stick to the sewing needle.

So if you want to try out this board, I'd really recommend it, but be aware of having to replace the capacitors.

Comment

It sounds like you have insufficient heat, and/or not pre-wetting the leads with fresh solder before removal.

Stainless dress pins work very well for hole clearning.

Comment

I pre-wet and the heat is quite sufficient. i usually use a high heat for electronics. Even use a flux. I have little problem with most other equipment. It's definitely the holes.

Comment

Try a hot air gun and you can heat both points at the same time. Might make it easier. I've noticed solder is sometimes harder to melt on older stuff.

Comment

Be careful with hot air guns.
            You can loosen and lose or shift nearby SMD parts on either side of the board and not even know it.
            Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
              Be careful with hot air guns.
              You can loosen and lose or shift nearby SMD parts on either side of the board and not even know it.
              Yeah when I had to remove the power jack on the Dell Latitude today I considered hot air too. But as PC said the SMT components around the power pins made me decide against it.

Not to mention heat damage to nearby components if you apply the heat for too long.

A soldering iron is precise work you are applying heat where you need it to minimize damage a hot air gun is like performing surgery with a shotgun .
              Last edited by Krankshaft; 02-23-2009, 05:47 PM.
              Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

I do have a hot air gun, but as others have stated, I would not have used it for these part replacements. I know for a fact that it's the leads that are just slightly too big. Just a tight squeeze. I've had stubborn parts on other motherboards. These were some of the more stubborn ones. I might even suggest a mainboard vice to protect the parts and allow a rigid hold of the board when trying to work on it. Or at least another person who can offer a hand or 2. I did it by myself, so it is possible. Just be very careful.

Comment

Picked this off of one of davmax's posts from a while ago. Good info/reading:

http://www.howardelectronics.com/chipquik/smdrepar.html

and

http://www.howardelectronics.com/chipquik/products.html
                  veritas odium parit

Comment

That was a very good read Toasty thanks.

I personally remove my SMT devices by chopping the legs off with a cutting wheel on my rotary tool. From there I can simply fling the legs off the pads with my soldering iron.

I did alot of BA chip replacements when I used to revive PS2s with dead DVD drives.

That product is indeed very creative for removal I think I'll pick some up.
                    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

just very TINY chip off the chipquik wire is all is need to set off low melt on one big chip (100 plus).

And chipquik very helpful indeed, saved bucks and keep boards intact, cut down on time to desolder a IC off a board for reuse.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Working...
                      X