GTX 980 ti missing 2 caps...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTX 980 ti missing 2 caps...

Well I bought this card on Craigslist and I guess I should have looked at it a little closer like with a magnifying glass LOL. Anyways thinking it was good to go in installed it in my PC only to find I had no video output (fan and lights work fine). After messing about with bios and drivers for 20 minutes and not getting my PC to acknowledge the card in any way I decided I better pull it and give it a good once over and to my dismay I found 2 small components (I believe they are capacitors) have been ripped off the the pcb! They are located directly behind the ram specifically module 7 & 8 I will include some photos so you can see what I'm talking about I was hoping someone could tell me what components I should order to replace them. Also from the reading I have done it sounds like if they are just capacitors they should not be preventing the card from operating do you think I have underlying issues? The photo with the DMM lead is for size reference. Based on the visual appearance of the circuit I found another component on the board that should be the same and took it out of circuit to get a reading I set my digital multi-meter 20m ohms and got a reading starting around 1.0 and slowly climbing to infinity so it's a cap I assume right?
    Attached Files

Re: GTX 980 ti missing 2 caps...

Model #GMGX98TN3H6GM-KTM by PNY if it helps

Comment

They're decoupling caps for the GDDR5 memory chips. The layout should be the same for each gddr5 chip (you should have pretty much the same position 8 times on the board)

Try to match the capacitor with the same capacitor for other memory chips. Then desolder one of those capacitors and measure the capacitance. Should be something like 0.01uF, 0.047uF, 0.1uF, at most 1uF .. and probably a voltage rating of 10, 16, 25v .. the voltages on the gddr5 chips are 1.2... 1.4v so a 10v+ rating is more than enough.

These missing capacitors shouldn't cause so much instability or problems that you wouldn't see anything on the screen. Maybe some components are missing in other locations as well?

Comment

This post was supposed to be much longer butt my phone keeps saying that the token has expired I'm guessing I'm taking too long to post so I'm going to keep it short. I already Trace down a similar circuit on the board and lifted one of the capacitors to test if it was indeed even a capacitor I don't believe my digital multi-meter is capable of giving me a capacitance reading. Do you think I would be safe too Salvage a similar-sized surface mounted capacitor off of an old video card I have laying around and use that?

Comment

Do you think it would be beneficial for me to attempt to power the board outside of my PC to test for voltage readings on the board? If this is a good idea does anyone you know where I could find information on what values or voltages I should be seeing at different components?

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtking View Post
            Also from the reading I have done it sounds like if they are just capacitors they should not be preventing the card from operating do you think I have underlying issues?
            Yes, in many cases, those ceramic capacitors (especially near/around/under the RAM and GPU) are not critical to the operation of the GPU. That said, some of them are if they are near the PCI-E slot (the PCI-E lane coupling capacitors) and any ceramic caps around the PWM controller and PWM MOSFET drivers - those can certainly make the video card not work.

Because there were multiple broken caps on your video card, I would say inspect the video card again. Maybe even two more times, because there may be other components missing. If you find any missing components, look for high-resolution pictures on the internet to help you determine what the components are. Typically, if it's a square component with two leads only:
            tan color = MLCC (ceramic capacitor)
            black = resistor (sometimes with value printed on top, and many times not)
            gray or white or dark gray (graphite) color = inductor or ferrite bead

In my opinion, I think the video card may have other, underlying issues as you suggested - most likely bad BGA under the GPU (fixable with a reflow or reball) or bad BGA between chip and GPU substrate (non-fixable).

I already Trace down a similar circuit on the board and lifted one of the capacitors to test if it was indeed even a capacitor I don't believe my digital multi-meter is capable of giving me a capacitance reading.
            Indeed.
            Most multimeters do NOT have a capacitance meter. Trying to figure if a capacitor is good by using the resistance setting won't work.

Do you think I would be safe too Salvage a similar-sized surface mounted capacitor off of an old video card I have laying around and use that?
            You can do that, yes.
            I've done it many times, even way before I owned a capacitance meter and simply replaced those ceramic caps with similar-sized ones.
            But to be honest, I don't think that will solve your problem. Again, I think the problem is likely BGA-related or perhaps more components are knocked off.

Originally posted by Dirtking
            Do you think it would be beneficial for me to attempt to power the board outside of my PC to test for voltage readings on the board?
            No.
            Because the video card won't even try to power ON outside of the motherboard. There are several pins on the PCI-E connector that are used by the motherboard to signal the video card to turn ON, and if I remember correctly, they are not simple high/low level pins.

That said, you can test for the GPU and VRAM voltage on the video card when it's in the motherboard. But those rarely fail without getting noticed, because they are usually the result of a shorted MOSFET, overloaded rail (bad GPU or VRAM), and similar.

Comment

Working...
            X