Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shuttle AN35N-Ultra

Hi All,
    I have two Shuttle AN35N-Ultra's, Version 1.1, which have unique problems and I wanted to make sure they are capacitor related. Here is a list of the color coded capacitors in the picture I've included. Forgive the mm sizes, I'm a newbie with a ruler, 25.40, and a calculator:
    G-LUXON

9 - 1000uf @ 10v, LZ, 105`C, 312B(M), 14.28mm L X 7.93mm Dia., Pin Space 3.17mm (Aqua on Board)

9 - 100uf @ 16v, SX, 105`C, 312A(M), 7.93mm L X 6.35mm Dia., Pin Space 3.17mm (Red on Board)

1 - 10uf @ 25v, SX 105`C, 312A(M), 7.93mm L X 4.76mm Dia., Pin Space 3.17mm (Purple on Board)

OST

9 - 1500uf @ 10v, RLX, 105`C, O350, 15.875mm L X 9.525mm Dia., Pin Space 4.76mm (Yellow on Board)

3 - 1500uf @ 16v, RLX, 105`C, 0346, 20.637mm L X 9.525mm Dia., Pin Space 4.76mm (Maroon on Board)

3 - 3300uf @ 10v, RLS, 105`C, 0344, 24.60mm L X 9.525mm Dia., Pin Space 4.76mm(Lime on Board)
    4 - 3300uf @ 10v, RLS, 105`C, 0388, 24.60mm L X 9.525mm Dia., Pin Space 4.76 mm (Fuschia on Board)

Board 'A' was bought used with an AMD 2.2ghz running at 333mhz FSB. It worked fine for a year or two then started BSODing my WinXP Home. I could never pin it down to one area as the BSOD reports came from memory, usb, IDE, etc.. I put the board away and used my other AN35N-Ultra, Board 'B'. When Board 'B' began trying my patience with it's problem, I went back to Board 'A' out of desperation. I installed an AMD 2.0ghz running at 266mhz FSB, and to my surprise it has run perfectly ever since.

My questions: Could the higher 333mhz memory speed have been stressing the capacitors? Could the CPU related caps be stressed at the higher FSB?

Board 'B' was bought "new" though it was an open box. It runs the AMD 2.2ghz @333mhz perfectly.........until the environmental temperature drops below 65 degrees fahrenheit. Then it won't boot at all. No speaker beeps, no boot screen, nothing. The CPU fan spins, the AGP card fan spins, you can here the boot process checking the IDE addresses, and that's about it. I've successfully used a hair dryer in the case to briefly raise the ambient temp. for it to boot, though this didn't always work.
    My question: Since this is a cold temp. problem, could the caps be at fault?

I love my Shuttle AN35N's and the NForce2 chipset.
    My last question: Is it always wrong to want to consummate my love with them?
    Thanks in advance,
    Richard

Oh yeah, I forgot, there is a slight difference between the OST 3300uf @10v's near the CPU. They are all exactly the same except for one small difference of printing on the cap. The Fuschia have a number '0388' on them while the Lime have the number '0344' on them.
    My question: What could possibly be the specification difference, and should I worry about it when thinking about potential cap. replacements?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Cap'n Cheapy; 03-12-2009, 04:59 PM.
    "The world is full of alchemists who are, unfortunately, deluded as to the value of gold."

"To see the wealth of nature is to understand the nature of wealth"

WhozitSayzit

Re: Shuttle AN35N-Ultra

Originally posted by Cap'n Cheapy
    My question: Since this is a cold temp. problem, could the caps be at fault?
    short answer... is very late in Italy: when temperature decrease the caps ESR increase so they are not able to give all the current/power and this can cause problems.

G-Luxon and OST are not good brands so probably you need to replace them.

Higher frequency, 333 versus 266, increase power consumption.

Problems can come also from PSU.

Wait for other answer and next time don't cover caps with color on top, most of the time people here can tell you if there are bad caps just looking at their top. If you can, post detailed picture of the caps around CPU.

Ciao
    Gianni
    "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
    H. J. Brown

Comment

Re: Shuttle AN35N-Ultra

Sorry about covering the tops with color. I saw this method on another thread and thought it would be a cool way of helping me remember what uf/v size caps are where on the board.
      I didn't see any cap which seemed to be leaking either at the top or at the bottom, though I'm not great at spotting bulges. I also rocked them and they all seem to be fairly tight to the board. I've included a pic of the caps around the CPU. Tried to get as much light on them as possible. It's night time here.

Thanks for the explanation on cold effects and frequency effects.

Richard
      Attached Files
      "The world is full of alchemists who are, unfortunately, deluded as to the value of gold."

"To see the wealth of nature is to understand the nature of wealth"

WhozitSayzit

Comment

Working...
      X