Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dynalink RTA1320 ADSL router - bad recap or DSL issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dynalink RTA1320 ADSL router - bad recap or DSL issue?

So, I replaced the capacitors in my RTA1320 a while ago, because it was having this weird problem sometimes where it would get DSL sync but wouldn't authenticate PPP and get an IP address when first turned on (I leave it off at night) - rebooting would usually fix the problem.

When I opened it I noticed 3 of the capacitors were bloated, but I replaced the lot.

The original threads:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12175
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12213

It worked OK for a week with new capacitors but then it refused to do PPP authentication at all.

Only way I got it working again was to reflash the firmware, reset everything to defaults and reconfigure everything from scratch.

It worked again for another week and then did the same thing.

I gave up on it for now and am currently using a Thomson Speedtouch ST536 v6 - but which has the most annoying web interface I have ever used.

The catch in all of this - the Thomson has exhibited the same problems as the Dynalink, not authenticating the PPP session and requiring a reboot (although not nearly as much). It also uses the same Broadcom chipset as the Dynalink and I have not noticed any problem prior to a recent DSLAM upgrade.

However the Dynalink was in much better shape before the recap so I suspect something there as well. I am just not sure.

This is all very confusing - I hope someone can help me with it!
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Re: Dynalink RTA1320 ADSL router - bad recap or DSL issue?

I had a situation where the ADSL modem would not authenticate the user, even though it was properly synchronized to the ADSL line. It turned out that the username was incomplete - just a phone number (username) without @providername.com.au was causing the modem not to authenticate the user, even though it worked in the past. Something must have been changed at the provider's side...
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Re: Dynalink RTA1320 ADSL router - bad recap or DSL issue?

That would sound sensible but my ISP (Telecom NZ) doesn't authenticate with username\password anymore, they authenticate with the phone number.

I believe you can put anything as the username and password, and it will still work.

The new Thomson routers from Telecom are all set up by default with "user@xtrabb.co.nz" as the username, I guess to make it easier for people to set up
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
      X