Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curious about just the caps making a difference between LED TV power board models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curious about just the caps making a difference between LED TV power board models

This noob is curious about LED TV power board caps sizing and input AC voltages.

I was checking out power boards for a 40in Samsung LED TV (UN40H5003AFXZA ver IF02) model which sold in the US a couple of years back. Looks like the current preferred replacement part number is BN44-00769C.

In photos of the part, saw printed on the board "110V Only" - and wondered if they stopped making universal power supplies, or did Samsung print it to discourage people from moving electronics around.

Then I noticed pics of a different listed-as-compatible board, BN44-00769A, show no 110V warning, and the two biggest caps appear doubled in physical size (420V/100uF).

I can't read the voltage rating of those same-position (smaller) caps in any of the 110V "C" board pics I've located so far.

So my questions. Are higher voltage capacitors usually physically bigger? (So are the smaller "C" board caps likely, say, 200V or 250V?) Could Samsung actually "down-rate" the board to US-voltage only, simply by reducing these two caps? (Keeping everything else the same - as it looks.)

Thanks.

See the capacitors in question upper right, and "110V-Only" lower left

110V "C" board

Universal? "A" board

Re: Curious about just the caps making a difference between LED TV power board models

I am by no means an expert, but in my limited experience, the higher voltage lower uF caps are typically physically bigger than the lower voltage higher uF capacitors. If you're worried about a capacitor doing the job it is intended for, I would use the compare feature on digikey to see if the specs you are looking for line up to what you need.
    Last edited by DrakeMK3; 05-02-2017, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X