Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > General Topics > General Capacitor Questions & Issues
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2017, 11:37 AM   #1
Hellfiya
iPhone Repair

City & State: St. Louis
My Country: United States
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default TV SMD Cap question

So I had a friend bring in a 55" Westinghouse TV(Model: DWM55F1G1) with no picture but it had blacklight and audio. I first checked out the T-Conn board, which everything appeared ok, so after I tried doing the half display test. I plugged in one side to the tconn board and sure enough, one side would display output. I plugged in the other side and nothing.

I checked the board that was soldered to the display panel and found a short in a line and two bad caps(One was shorted, but the other had some black dots on it. I removed them both and the short was gone, and both sides would display image with no tears or artifacts, stress tested under HD videos for 3-hours.

I can't find any schematics on this model, and the unit seems to work ok without the SMD caps. Would it be safe to leave them off?

I thought about pulling the caps from the other side of the other board(I don't know the name) to check the capacitance value, but I have no experience ordering SMD ceramic caps or finding their voltage value without schematics.

I've attached two images of the caps desoldered: CA23 and CA33
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo Mar 25, 11 19 59 AM.jpg (562.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Mar 25, 11 20 09 AM.jpg (494.3 KB, 13 views)
Hellfiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:26 PM   #2
Hellfiya
iPhone Repair

Default Re: TV SMD Cap question

Actually, after watching it for a bit, I did notice that the blacklight may be off at the 1/3 and 2/3 position of the screen(horizontally and vertically). It's not noticeable unless viewed at an angle greater than about 45 degrees. From a direct view, it looks completely normal. I'm not sure if it had always been like this or if the missing caps is causing it.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:55 PM   #3
Hellfiya
iPhone Repair

Default Re: TV SMD Cap question

Nevermind, disregard the last post. I have confirmed with the owner that the backlight has always been like that. Guess I will just leave off the caps since it works fine.