Sony VPCEE4E1E mobo problem, pls help`

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony VPCEE4E1E mobo problem, pls help`

Hi folks, nice you're back, felt pretty lonely with site down.

Need help with a Sony VPCEE4E1E laptop with strange problem.
    When switched on, the power switch lights up and fades away in few seconds.
    When pressure is put on the case, sometimes system turns on but out of unexpected.
    When I put my finger on Q20 mosfet contacts, led's blinking and system starts.
    If I keep my finger on the mosfet, it stays on. When I take my finger off, system stops. On other locations this doesn't happen.
    There were a few traces of moister, but not on the entire board. Cleaned it, but didn't help. Changed Q20 and that didn't help.
    To me it looks like bad soldering, but I'm not sure.

I need some help please.
    Attached Files

Re: Sony VPCEE4E1E mobo problem, pls help`

Anybody???

Comment

The schematic is incorrect.
      Herewith the correct one
      Sorry.
      Attached Files

Comment

New development. Tried reflow Mobo in oven and the fault changed.
        When pressing on/off switch, switchled and battery led on for 2 seconds and switch off.
        While the powerswitch is pressed, PU2 becomes very hot, only during the 3 seconds.
        That means a short I think. Strangely after the reflow, the system went on for a few times, so does that say anything about the short?

Now I have 2 different Sony's with the same fault appearance,
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51775

Anybody can shed some light on this problem for me?

Comment

Measured PU2 for shorts with the multi-meter in continuity mode and 15 pins of the 48 pins of this chip beep to ground. Normally it can be that the short can be behind the chip in some other component, but this would be a lot components defective. Exchange the chip or is something else going on.
          Last edited by bicalov; 02-03-2016, 01:23 AM.

Comment

does pu2 get very hot ? , if any case , try first replacing cpu since this IC is for cpuvcore , it could been damaged during some kind of transiction. replace cpu .

BTW if you measure does pins of pu2 withou cpu , most of them will no longer make continuity to GND.

Comment

Thx highpulse. I was just cleaning the cpu socket, since a lot of those shortcuts refer to vdd_core . I let you know what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by highpulse View Post
                does pu2 get very hot ? , if any case , try first replacing cpu since this IC is for cpuvcore , it could been damaged during some kind of transiction. replace cpu .

BTW if you measure does pins of pu2 withou cpu , most of them will no longer make continuity to GND.
                Without CPU and good cleaning, I remain with pin16, 30, 42, 47 on gnd.
                2 days ago I made a stupid mistake, I cleaned the board with CPU and heatsink still on it, so probably that's why the amount of shorts. Bloody Amateur

Comment

no !!!! lol , i mean , if cpu is attached to board , its normal that you will find a lot of stuff making continuity to GND . its normal if cpu is present !

Comment

But not normal if cpu is out of the socket?

PU2 pin 1, 30 and 47 have RVCC5 in common.
                    pin 16 CPU_VDD0_FB_L
                    pin 42 CPU_VDDNB_FB_L
                    So there is still a short in cpu socket?

PU2 gets still very hot when I press the powerswitch and without cpu and ram
                    Last edited by bicalov; 02-03-2016, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Strange things happen with PU2.
                      pin 16, desolder PR8, short gone from PU2 side
                      pin 42, cut PR215, short gone from PU2 side
                      pin 47, desolder PR213,short gone from PU2 side
                      pin 30, desolder PC127, short gone from PU2 side
                      pin 1, desolder PR48, (PR212 and PR203 are not present) short still there !!!!

Is the chip broken, given the result on pin1 ??

Chip does not get hot anymore when above components are gone and power switch is pressed.
                      Now I will put them back 1 by 1 to see if I can isolate the short.
                      Last edited by bicalov; 02-04-2016, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Put back the components,
                        pin 30 - PC127 - no short
                        pin 42 - PR215 - no short
                        pin 47 - PR213 - no short
                        pin 16 - PR8 - short to gnd
                        pin 1 - PR48 - short to gnd, chip gets very hot (by all other pins not)

Please advise.

Comment

Close and yet so far away.
                          With the above results, the power switch LED lights up and fade away directly.
                          The battery LED flashes 1 time. So it is not completely dead.
                          When battery attached, battery LED is on

Can anybody pls point me in the right direction ?
                          Last edited by bicalov; 02-06-2016, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Traced the short via RVCC5 to PU8.
                            Desoldered PL19, short on line with PQ52 pin 1,2,5,6 and not on side with PQ53 pin 5,6,7,8,.
                            Also PQ52 pin 4, no short. Remains the PC 188, desoldered, no short and PC186 is not present.
                            PR170 and PR172 are shorts and connected to PU8 pin11, no short.
                            Left over the 2 lines to PU8 pin 9 and 10, short there.
                            Also PU8 pin 2 short. I think via PR171, (which is a short) to 6237GND
                            PR281 is not present, no short on PU8 pin 3.
                            Is it possible that the short is internal in PU8 ??

Please advise

Comment

Sorry, PQ52 pin 4 has short, I didn't make good contact.

When I detach PQ52 pin 4, VCC5 shows 1,075 and pin 4 shows 5,76 in continuity mode.
                              And the short stays on pin 1,2,5,6 en the rest as described above
                              Last edited by bicalov; 02-08-2016, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Started with 5V injection on RVCC5 rail on PC188+
                                R213 got very hot, took it off and the short remained in PU2 pin 1 and 47, but disappeared from PC188 and PL19.
                                Injected on place of R213 PU2 side and PU2 got very hot.
                                Took off PU2 and shortage on track of pin 1 and pin 47 disappeared.
                                Now wait for newly ordered chip and see what happened.

New problem arised, the LED's from the power button don't light anymore.
                                Power on switch is 3,36V
                                Power on PQ19 and PQ20 = 3,36V on all 3 pins, What happened??

Comment

Received PU2 and put it on. Regretfully no response. I thought I found the solution because the shorts were gone after desoldering the chip, but now there are more shorts beyond PU2, which I didn't notice in the first measuring. Except when I take out the CPU,
                                  than the shorts are gone but futher only the batt-Led lights up very briefly when pushing the power switch. So, still dead. And like I said earlier, the power leds don't work anymore.
                                  Q22 shows 3,37V on pin 1 and 2 and -4,07V on pin 3, what is happening?

Any hints ??

Comment

Please Guys, I need some help!

Hopefully the picture is visable.
                                    It is page 25 of the schematics.
                                    Most Voltage is present on PU8, but not the VCC5 and RVCC5.

PQ58 has 19,45V on pin 5,6,7,8 and nothing on the other pins.
                                    So when I exchange PQ58, nothing changes.
                                    If I understand it correctly, pin 4 has to get a signal from PU8 in order to operate, only the DL1 and DH1 are 0V
                                    Who is responsable for these signals?
                                    Where does it go wrong?

Any advise please?
                                    Attached Files

Comment

ish sorry mate , just saw now your messages , im leaving office now , but monday i try to help you out

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by highpulse View Post
                                        ish sorry mate , just saw now your messages , im leaving office now , but monday i try to help you out

cheers
                                        thx, have a nice weekend

Comment

Working...
                                        X