MSI Mpower Z77 Big Bang DrMos burned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI Mpower Z77 Big Bang DrMos burned

Monday night I received this mobo and I tried to do some diagnosis, with the information that it did not start.
    Actually it started but it showed error code 55 (memory initialization error) and error code 22 on the debug led.

I found a slight smell of burning and I sensed by touching that the memory warmed up abnormally and the next SFC coil aftre mosfet. After a careful visual inspection, I found an affected DrMOS mosfet, but I do not know how to proceed to check to be sure that only this is bad.
    Attached Files

Re: MSI Mpower Z77 Big Bang DrMos burned

From your picture, that MOSFET looks like it has a bubble in its case. Definitely looks popped to me.

Hopefully, that's the only bad component. If not, it might blow again.
    I suggest using different RAM for testing after replacing the MOSFET (and perhaps a cheap RAM module you don't mind sacrificing, if something goes bad.)
    Last edited by momaka; 12-11-2018, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Re: MSI Mpower Z77 Big Bang DrMos burned

I'm pretty upset.
      Although I've noticed that the Ram is getting hot and the error is related to the ram, after two days I discovered that the i3 2120 CPU is dead of the kind that it does not even start with external video card. The dedicated video card used in the tests gave me emotions because she did not give signal after troubleshooting. Probably a component has entered protection and the effect has not passed since I did the verification, just 3 days later I re cheched the videocard and now is functionally.
      Too expensive price...

I talked to someone with the experience of changing that mosfet. But now I have to check the entire power stack, which is more complex with new generations of motherboards.
      And I do not know how much I risk to kill another processor. It really does not deserve such a cost.
      Last edited by alindumitru46; 12-15-2018, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X