BGA reballing without balls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BGA reballing without balls?

I try to do BGA reballing without the balls?

I was inspired by the fact that I saw some people didn't use balls (use solder paste)when they were repairing the cell phone.

Is it possible? We don't even use stencil and solding paste? Solder the bag righr to PCB?

Because I hate to do this....at picture 4

Pictures 3 is A homemade COMPAQ BGA reballing machine.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by capwizard; 02-06-2019, 04:44 PM. Reason: homemade

Re: BGA reballing without balls?

My idea is if we can have both PC Board and BGA chip Implanted nipple (Breast augmentation) like pic1

but... how can i do it?

put BGA chip under silicone oil then work hot solder iron with solder on it. Using surface tension to form a semi-spherical ball. i called....BGA Breast Implant.

but.... how about PCB? We need to built a dam or levee on it with plumper's putty then work hot solder iron with solder on it to form a semi-spherical ball. i called ....PCB Breast Implant.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by capwizard; 02-08-2019, 11:01 PM.

Comment

your idea has a flaw, you wont keep the chip lined up while you try to reflow it, it will slide between the balls on the pcb and make a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        your idea has a flaw, you wont keep the chip lined up while you try to reflow it, it will slide between the balls on the pcb and make a mess.
        Believe it or not, they (BGA and PCB) will automatically correct the position because of the melted solder surface tension.

There is another way to solve the problem as you mentioned, is to use the computer aid position, hot air lets both BGA chip breasts and PCB breasts are melted then computer arm slowly put down BGA chip and welded both of them together.

And manufacturers don't want to use such cumbersome steps then cause many of these BGA cold solder joint problems.

--------------------------------------------------------------
        BGA reballing - watch spheres align during reflow
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjMle1uYf6Q

Samtec ZRAY Self Aligning HD
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRR25udlB2s

Reballing
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=0qacORJQjyY

How to reflow solder electrical components without stencils
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXBflP_4fdQ

Solder Surface Tension and Why You Should Care
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opPDZnmrPPE
        Last edited by capwizard; 02-08-2019, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Without the balls the pressure from the heatsink will squeeze the solder flat resulting in possible shorts.

Comment

We have half the ball on BGA chip and the other half ball on PCB. Should not be short-circuited and the hotter the PC-Board the better contacts.

Comment

Originally posted by capwizard View Post
              We have half the ball on BGA chip and the other half ball on PCB. Should not be short-circuited and the hotter the PC-Board the better contacts.
              What you are trying to do will not be stable enough to work longterm. Balls on balls will teeter under the slightest vertical pressure causing stress to make them want to slide sideways. You should rethink this idea.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions

Then we can improve to flatten quilt a Semi-Spherical Surface by heat treatment or grinding to flattening spherical top surface. pic1

But I have a question, what is this shape? i mean name of this flattening spherical ball? bowl shape ....Super Bowl shape..!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by capwizard; 02-09-2019, 07:29 AM.

Comment

there is a video in ifixifix (ifix.net.cn)youtube channel reballing tv bga chip with solder paste and stencil.they say to reball with existing solder

Comment

thank you my friend.
                    Would you please upload the videos?
                    Last edited by capwizard; 02-09-2019, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by capwizard View Post
                      Thanks for your suggestions

Then we can improve to flatten quilt a Semi-Spherical Surface by heat treatment or grinding to flattening spherical top surface. pic1

But I have a question, what is this shape? i mean name of this flattening spherical ball? bowl shape ....Super Bowl shape..!
                      The shape of DISASTER TO COME.

Comment

you can buy the balls, and the frame - so i dont even see the point.

Comment

something like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLIlL8Eb1o0

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkey55 View Post
                            The shape of DISASTER TO COME.
                            I must admit that I was told by Sparkey55. Breast transplant is a big failure.

I used vegetable oil instead of silicone oil but breasts does not growing up even under the oil. so this is a failure. But I will improve it. while heating up BGA chip to 230F and adding ordinary solder to form breasts.

I brushed some solder paste on it and started BGA soldering. IC chip and PCB did Soldered together. This time I used this board is a junk tcon. Next time I will move PCB from working TV set to do the experiment.

pic 2 has vegetable oil inside the levee.
                            pic 8 IC chip and PCB did Soldered together with no gap.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by capwizard; 02-09-2019, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                              you can buy the balls, and the frame - so i dont even see the point.
                              I have those things. I just want to try a faster and cheaper, anti-traditional, way to do BGA rework helping people in Africa to repair TV with hair dryer and hair straightener.

-------------------------------------------------------------
                              Solder ball placement for BGA reballing
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCFgySeN8Ns

BGA Single ball rework - Finetech rework station
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmJYU_7P1C8

Ball Grid Array Rework: Package-on-Package Devices - Intel
                              https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...ork-video.html

Motherboard Repair: Ball Grid Array Socket Rework
                              Last edited by capwizard; 02-09-2019, 07:54 PM.

Comment

This person is so powerful that he directly performs breast transplant surgery by hand.

IC Reballing Without Solder Paste/Balls | Perfect Hand Reballing Forever
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAv1UKDi_eg

I love this person very much, he directly uses my theory. But I won’t do it one by one. I have to do it all at once.

Motherboard Repair: Ball Grid Array Socket Rework
                                Last edited by capwizard; 02-09-2019, 08:01 PM.

Comment

you need balls to do it properly .

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                                    you need balls to do it properly .
                                    CONS:

1. BGA solder ball has shelf life.

The solder alloy itself should not change composition significantly over a period of several years. The main potential issue is oxidation of the surface of the BGA solder ball. Even when stored properly air will eventually make it's way to the solder surface and oxidation will occur.

As the oxide layer grows the balls will become more difficult to solder. The rate of oxidation is slow enough that the balls will be usable for at least two years, but may be difficult to use after that time.

2. BGA solder balls have different sizes. pic 1

PCB Feature Sizes For Standard BGAs
                                    Ball Pitch Via Diameter Trace Size
                                    0.8mm pitch 18 mil 4-5 mil
                                    0.65mm pitch 16 mil* 12 mil 4 mil* 4 mil
                                    0.5mm pitch 10 mil 3 mil
                                    0.4mm pitch 10-8 mil 3 mil

3. BGA solder balls are high price. 1kg = $300

4. BGA solder balls must be used with BGA stencils and holders.

5. BGA solder balls are not easy to manage, run all over the place.

6. The BGA chip center part is not easy to solder with appropriate temperature.

i hate BGA solder balls!
                                    Attached Files

Comment

I saw sandwich cheese slices when I had breakfast. I suddenly had an idea why can't we make BGA solder paste slices that looks like this. pic 1

solder flux is made of rosin, We can mix solder powder with rosin into thin slices like sandwich cheese slices and very convenient to use.

Cut it into the size you need and then sandwich it with BGA chip and PCB.

BGA reballing rework just as easy as eating your breakfast. Do you think this will succeed?
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by capwizard; 02-10-2019, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Gee Wiz ( or is that Cheez Wiz ) guy. You need to enroll into the Think Tank at MIT.

Comment

Working...
                                        X