Sony XBR-65X810C Not Powering on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony XBR-65X810C Not Powering on

Hi! Looking for some help with this monster i picked up. It is only 2 years old so I am not finding too much info on repairs for this set. When I attempt to power it up, the logo in the bottom middle illuminates white for about 10 seconds and turns off. No blinking codes or other colors are occurring. There is no screen flash of any backlight illumination.
    I tried unplugging ribbons going into t-con from mainboard, and that made no difference.
    I took voltage readings on powerboard connector CN6401. I got the same voltages with the set plugged in and when i attempted to power on. None of the voltages changed when the power button was applied.
    Here are the readings I got:
    1) DC_Dimmer 0 Volts
    2) PWN_Dimmer 0 volts
    3) Blinking 0 volts
    4) BL_ERR 2.36v
    5) GND
    6) GND
    7) REG 12V 12.6v
    8) REG 12V 12.6v
    9) REG 12V 12.6v
    10) GND
    11) GND
    12) TCON_ON 0 volts
    13) TCON_VCC12V 0 volts
    14) TCON_VCC12V 0 volts

As I wrote these voltages i noticed their are 2 banks of pins on this connector and I only test the 2nd bank. But, I believe it shows enough that I am missing several voltages that should be present.

Should I be looking at faults on the powerboard? or is my mainboard not sending any signal to turn on the powerboard? Is there any way to force on backlights to confirm they work? Any reason why I am not getting any blinking error codes. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
    Attached Files

Re: Sony XBR-65X810C Not Powering on

You did the test right, you NEED to test both rows, same way, test with tv plugged in, take reading then hit power button check for voltage changes, make sure you have steady stby 3.3 voltage, need pin label with expected voltage and the voltage you got when measured.
    Last edited by nomoresonys; 03-27-2018, 03:27 AM.

Comment

This is secondary side of powersupply, whenever working with primary/hot side ALWAYS USE CAUTION HIGH VOLTAGE CAN BE DEADLY, on your board it's clearly marked.

Comment

" Is there any way to force on backlights to confirm they work?" try unplug powerboard from mainboard, plug tv power cord back in, turn tv on see if you get backlights.

Comment

Ok,
          Here is my pinout reading for the other bank on connector CN6401. No change between plug in and power on.

NC reading -No pin out connection
          BL_ON reading-0 volts
          STBY 3.3v reading- 3.45v
          AC_OFF reading - no pin out connection
          POWER_ON reading 3.45v
          GND reading - 0v
          REG12v reading 12.6v
          REG12v reading 12.6v
          REG12v reading - no pin out connection
          GND reading - no pin out connection
          GND reading 0v
          GND reading 0v
          TCON_VCC12v reading- 0v
          TCON_VCC12v reading- 0v

I had all the same reading when i attempted to power TV on. As i said before TV will illuminate "sony" light under the screen for about 10 seconds and then turn off. When i say "no pin out connection" The cable from the connector does not have a wire connected in that particular location. It would seem to me the set is not getting any prompt from mainboard to power up the other voltages (bl_on and tconn 12v).
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
            " Is there any way to force on backlights to confirm they work?" try unplug powerboard from mainboard, plug tv power cord back in, turn tv on see if you get backlights.
            I attempted this by removing connector from power supply to main board on top left of board. I did not get any backlight illumination and it did not appear that the TV was trying to power on. ( i was not getting the light on the bottom as when the main was plugged in) So no confirmation on backlights working or not.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by WeadroW View Post
              Ok,
              Here is my pinout reading for the other bank on connector CN6401. No change between plug in and power on.

NC reading -No pin out connection
              BL_ON reading-0 volts
              STBY 3.3v reading- 3.45v
              AC_OFF reading - no pin out connection
              POWER_ON reading 3.45v
              GND reading - 0v
              REG12v reading 12.6v
              REG12v reading 12.6v
              REG12v reading - no pin out connection
              GND reading - no pin out connection
              GND reading 0v
              GND reading 0v
              TCON_VCC12v reading- 0v
              TCON_VCC12v reading- 0v

I had all the same reading when i attempted to power TV on. As i said before TV will illuminate "sony" light under the screen for about 10 seconds and then turn off. When i say "no pin out connection" The cable from the connector does not have a wire connected in that particular location. It would seem to me the set is not getting any prompt from mainboard to power up the other voltages (bl_on and tconn 12v).
              I think you're right, sure seems like a mainboard problem.

Comment

These main boards are extremely finnicky with failed firmware . Get a USB stick and download the newest version of the firmware via Sony website and formatted in fat 32.

Unzip the file and put it on the USB stick . Put the USB stick in the TV and plug in the TV. Look for the light to turn white flashing and wait.

This will determine if the firmware is corrupt and needs to be re flashed
                Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Freakafter8, I have the usb in the TV hopefully updating now. Any idea how long this normally takes? The file was 1.6Gb. I had TV unplugged, put usb in, plugged tv in, then hit power button. The usb drive is blinking and about every 20 seconds the digital optical input illuminated red for about 5 seconds? The front of the Set has no signal lights on currently. I was going to wait an hour or so then try and power on.

Comment

Well the set does not appear to have "taken" the firmware update. I tried it a couple times and never got a blinking indicator from the TV and the flash drive was just slowly blinking indicating it was not active. TV operation is exactly the same as before. Any other tricks to try and get the mainboard to respond or take the flashdrive update? Any voltage tests that can be done to mainboard?

Comment

Sorry for the delay. When you put the firmware to the USB, you unzipped it first correct? Should be in the root drive of the USB. And when you put the USB in the tv, just plug the tv in do not press power. Pressing power bypasses the initialization method and then will not look at the USB. The indicator light should go to a white flashing. This process takes roughly 1/2 hour. When complete, tv will reset and automatically power on.

Comment

Yes I formatted and unzipped the file, that part I believe I did correct. When I plugged it into the set, I hit the power button each time, (oops) so I'll give it another try today.

Comment

Attempted the firmware update two more times this morning in different USB ports and did not hit power button on the TV. The set never gave any indicator light and the zip drive just had a slow blink. No change to the TV. The zip drive file was extracted to a .pkg file. I don't believe this mainboard is awake and trying to take the update? It is getting clear to me that i may have to just replace the mainboard. Nothing seems to be making any sort of change to the sets functions. Thoughts?

Comment

Quite possible. Last resort usually is taking a hairdryer and hitting various components on the board including the processors to check for bad BGA connections and see if it lowers up.

Comment

Originally posted by WeadroW View Post
                              Attempted the firmware update two more times this morning in different USB ports and did not hit power button on the TV. The set never gave any indicator light and the zip drive just had a slow blink. No change to the TV. The zip drive file was extracted to a .pkg file. I don't believe this mainboard is awake and trying to take the update? It is getting clear to me that i may have to just replace the mainboard. Nothing seems to be making any sort of change to the sets functions. Thoughts?
                              just to be clear on your process.... the set is unplugged. you insert the usb and then plug in the power cord... but do not hit the power button.

plugging in the usb while the set was plugged in may not allow the boot loader to run.
                              Last edited by budwich; 03-28-2018, 10:25 AM.

Comment

From what I have learned, these Sony's do not like being turn on with the boot loader installed USB. It ignores the USB boot and puts it into a standard USB boot upon power up assuming that the main board believes the screen is to come up and you would see the firmware update file where you would have to press OK. Since we can't get to this point a cold start process with the USB installed being plugged in allows the board to read the boot loader or bootstrap to confirm that the firmware is correct for the board and then do a blind install.

If you are main board cannot Do this procedure, I would only assume that a fault falls amongst somewhere in the board being a badd connection on the soldering of the main processor or something within NV ram not allowing a to go forward. Since you do not seem to have any error codes this would only make me believe that this section of the main board that would give a code for an error is wiped out. And if that's the case I would definitely swap the board.

You're scenario where you hit the power button and it turns back off is similar to what a Sony does what it was plugged in if it was unplugged while it was powered up. Upon plugging it in the power light would come on you would have a white light for roughly 5 seconds, then would power off awaiting for the power button to be pressed again. This process is essentially unpacking the firmware file for power on. When the TV powers on after being unplugged your basically Seeing what it does blindly as if it were to be plugged in with the power off originally. It's hitting a point in the booting process and it cannot go any further
                                Last edited by freakaftr8; 03-28-2018, 11:30 AM.

Comment

So I applied some heat to the main board with my heat gun. I was getting the indicator to light white for about 2 seconds and immediately turn off. Before it was staying on for about 20 seconds. So it acted like it didn't like the heat.
                                  I tried a hard reset by pressing power and volume down simultaneously and then plugging the power cord in. I did get a green indicator light to illuminate for 2 seconds, which should show that the reset worked. I powered the tv back on and the indicator stayed on, i did not turn off. Nothing changed on the screen, no backlights, no picture. At this point I tried the firmware update again and it did the same. I also checked voltages again but they were the same as previous.
                                  Does this set need BL_on to be shorted to ground or 5v to start? I want to try jumping the backlights to be sure they are at least operational.
                                  My other question is should I remove the 2 large heatsinks to apply heat to the BGAs under those and see if I get a response? What BGA's should I pinpoint with heat? I tried following some of the traces and I'm unfamiliar with what section is involved in powerup. I see the audio circuit and the circuit for all the outputs like hdmi, etc.
                                  Also, This tv has 3 usb's, which one should I be attempting the firmware update on or does it not matter? I feel like the heat got the boards attention a little and it started to act a little different, but still not much change.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Any of the 3 USB's would be fine for firmware. It sounds like you're doing it right there's obviously a problem with the board. You can jump BL-on with the standby voltage I believe.

Have you attempted to shine a flashlight into the screen as you power the TV up and look in the center for the Sony logo to show up Right before it shuts back down?

Edit: Scratch that you're probably not gonna get anything since tcon 12 V is not coming live

Comment

Were you saying scratch looking for the logo or forcing backlight on? I tried jumping 3.3 standby with bl_on and I got no backlights.

Comment

Yes what I meant was if there is not at any time 12 V to the tcon you will not get a picture regardless of the back lights are on or not.

On your power supply you may have to jumper 3.3v to the DC_Dimmer or PWN_Dimmer pins as well. I'm not quite sure.

Comment

Working...
                                        X