Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharp LC-70LE757U Flashing 2-5 :-( can it be saved economically?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sharp LC-70LE757U Flashing 2-5 :-( can it be saved economically?

If someone can chime in and help out. Trying to fix a Sharp LC-70Le867U. Tv would not even turn on, 2 long 5 short code. Pulled it apart getting 120v in and 12v out with 5v of stand by on the power supply board. But still wouldn't start up. Started reading about the led side driver going bad, so started pulling ribbons from the t con board. Sorry I am an electrician but never messed with circuit boards or TVs, so if I'm calling something by the wrong name or misspeaking cut me some slack please. When I pulled ribbons for each half of tv, both had vertical lines on the dead side. But decided to reseat ribbons while tv was already on. To my amazement everything worked perfect, tv would turn off and on for awhile no prob but eventually after letting it sit started doing the same code. First question what did I temparily bypass? And second what do I need to fix?

Comment

hmmmm.... your problem may be a bit different than the one that started this thread...BUT it could be the same depending on how bad the underlying issue is. :-)

I assume currently it is 2-5 mode. Even though your technique of unplugging / plugging in the tcon to panel cables got some result, I wouldn't do this while powered up unless you want to have more problems.

Go back to your first "tests" and unplug either one of the outside cables (ie. either the right or left one) and see if the set turns on properly. If it does, you need to look closely at the screen for issues. It helps to feed in a signal of a good test pattern as opposed to random video.

Post pictures of the screen.

IF the set doesn't turn on, you might need to do the force on / bypass sequence as the system may have set counters to prevent turn on. The sequence is something like set unplugged, ho9ld down volume up and channel down (not sure of the exact buttons ... search the forum to confirm) while plugging in the set.

This should get the set started.

Further, the likely reason for the set starting while "plugging cables in under power" is that with some unplugged, the current draw was less than threshold, and then plugging in the remaining cable, the thresshold wasn't reached and the set worked. With everything plugged in, and start attempted, the "troubled area" is potentially drawing more current crossing the threshold and causing the flash code.
      Last edited by budwich; 01-19-2019, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
        hmmmm.... your problem may be a bit different than the one that started this thread...BUT it could be the same depending on how bad the underlying issue is. :-)

I assume currently it is 2-5 mode. Even though your technique of unplugging / plugging in the tcon to panel cables got some result, I wouldn't do this while powered up unless you want to have more problems.

Go back to your first "tests" and unplug either one of the outside cables (ie. either the right or left one) and see if the set turns on properly. If it does, you need to look closely at the screen for issues. It helps to feed in a signal of a good test pattern as opposed to random video.

Post pictures of the screen.

IF the set doesn't turn on, you might need to do the force on / bypass sequence as the system may have set counters to prevent turn on. The sequence is something like set unplugged, ho9ld down volume up and channel down (not sure of the exact buttons ... search the forum to confirm) while plugging in the set.

This should get the set started.

Further, the likely reason for the set starting while "plugging cables in under power" is that with some unplugged, the current draw was less than threshold, and then plugging in the remaining cable, the thresshold wasn't reached and the set worked. With everything plugged in, and start attempted, the "troubled area" is potentially drawing more current crossing the threshold and causing the flash code.
        Ok this is what I'm getting.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/r7KoQfUEfrxbKTVX8

Sorry have the tv leaning on table so I can see, no feet. Second set of picture right side of screen is on but all messed up. I'm assuming right driver is bad(while looking at screen)
        Last edited by -=Q=-; 01-19-2019, 01:29 PM.

Comment

better but still tough... I know the set is big and hard to deal with.

can't see the "mess up" on the right side cause of the table legs and the "test pattern" isn't one that I know.... horizontal lines and color shifts are usually very visible.

Anyway, one other thing to try... there is small white cables in the bottom corner on each side of the panel |(you might have to remove a shield to see them). They interconnect the bottom edge boards to the side edge boards. These cables are unclampable and can be disconnected / reconnected to do a test similar to the tcon to panel cable disconnect test. With all the tcon cables connected, try disconnecting the one corner cable and see what happens. Repeat the same test with the other side. These test provide a fulll picture that usually is darker on the side that is disconnected but provides a good view of the entire display. The tv should not flash any codes in this mode.
          Last edited by budwich; 01-19-2019, 02:05 PM.

Comment

can't see the "mess up" on the right side cause of the table legs and the "test pattern" isn't one that I know.... horizontal lines and color shifts are usually very visible.

Anyway, one other thing to try... there is small white cables in the bottom corner on each side of the panel |(you might have to remove a shield to see them). They interconnect the bottom edge boards to the side edge boards. These cables are unclampable and can be disconnected / reconnected to do a test similar to the tcon to panel cable disconnect test. With all the tcon cables connected, try disconnecting the one corner cable and see what happens. Repeat the same test with the other side. These test provide a fulll picture that usually is darker on the side that is disconnected but provides a good view of the entire display. The tv should not flash any codes in this mode.
            sorry was using my crappy phone. but yes horizontal line and color shift on right side of screen but perfect screen on left. ill do the other test now.

Comment

When unplugging one at a time I still got 2 long 5 short code. You are talking about these tabs right?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TEihM3Vs2nFbz37s7
              Last edited by -=Q=-; 01-19-2019, 03:11 PM.

Comment

budwich so whats in between the T Con board and the side driver? I'm assumming that what ever is between these two is what's causing the issue since the tv will still not turn on with only the side drivers disconnected.

Comment

Originally posted by -=Q=- View Post
                  When unplugging one at a time I still got 2 long 5 short code. You are talking about these tabs right?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TEihM3Vs2nFbz37s7
                  yes those are the corner cable that I was talking about.

Comment

ok... so we need to be clear, if you unplug the tcon to panel cable on the right side, does the set start up without a flash code?

There is reasons to do as good a fault isolaton as possible since some methods of saves involve permanently removing parts that CAN NOT be replaced... but only IF they are the problem. My experience in this thread seemed to indicate that dsiconnecting the small corner cables results in a picture with no flash codes. There are other problems like a faulty tcon card that may also flash code with similar failures.

Comment

ok... so we need to be clear, if you unplug the tcon to panel cable on the right side, does the set start up without a flash code?

There is reasons to do as good a fault isolaton as possible since some methods of saves involve permanently removing parts that CAN NOT be replaced... but only IF they are the problem. My experience in this thread seemed to indicate that dsiconnecting the small corner cables results in a picture with no flash codes. There are other problems like a faulty tcon card that may also flash code with similar failures.
                      i lied. I swear neither side turned on but this is what happened.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jmVuwTFd8seMDt5u5
                      Last edited by -=Q=-; 01-19-2019, 07:24 PM.

Comment

you certainly did lie... :-)
                        that is kind of expected... the results not the lie... :-)

well the reason for your results is. when you unplug the corner cable (note this is not the tcon to panel cable test I asked you to verify... :-( no problem...). on the left side (looking from the front), that meant the only way the tv could work was thru the right side "path" which is likely bad and hence the flash code. When you reversed the cable disconnect... now the bad side is removed and the remaining good side is working... and guess what, the set runs "ok". This indicates a problem with the right side tabs.

Comment

you certainly did lie... :-)
                          that is kind of expected... the results not the lie... :-)

well the reason for your results is. when you unplug the corner cable (note this is not the tcon to panel cable test I asked you to verify... :-( no problem...). on the left side (looking from the front), that meant the only way the tv could work was thru the right side "path" which is likely bad and hence the flash code. When you reversed the cable disconnect... now the bad side is removed and the remaining good side is working... and guess what, the set runs "ok". This indicates a problem with the right side tabs.
                          So no way to make it perform better?

Comment

you just need to follow what has been done in this thread and remove the offending side tabs and boards. The tv will then look basically normal.

Comment

you just need to follow what has been done in this thread and remove the offending side tabs and boards. The tv will then look basically normal.
                              still kinda confused about this. Im I supposed to permenantly removed the left side driver(looking friom the back) by cutting the strips away?

Comment

Kept reading up on the subject wait for you to respond. Went ahead and bit the bullet. Tore out the side driver, worked almost flawlessly. Got one row of purple. But can't really complain the tv was free

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GMgvcEQt6NCPqq596

Comment

its possible that there might be some small bit of contaminate / left over on one of the contact areas that was removed... you could look closer to ensure that the areas are all clean. The other possibility is that the "bad side / tabs" put a strain on the good side ones and there is a minor "weakness" in them which can't be addressed as now the set is relying totally on one side. I think some have reported similar issues, that in some case disappeared with time and in some cases, eventually the remaining good side had issues and the set was lost.... but the boards were salvaged / sold.

good save for the price.

Comment

Ok, I have the Sharp LC70LE857U with the 2 5 error code. When I disconnect the 2 ribbon cables on the left side (from the back) of the T-Con board it eliminates the 2 5 error code as shown in the picture. It displays a picture on the left half and solid white on the right side(from the Front) of the TV as shown in picture 2. so does this mean the driver board on the left side(from the back) of the TV is the board that I need to remove the Tabs from?
                                    Attached Files

Comment

what happens when you do the same type of test the "other way around"?

The best test for checking the conditions is to unplug the small corner cable in the bottom corrner of the panel (one on each side) with the tcon cables ALL connected. This test isolates on the side tab drivers but should result is a "full picture" which can then be reviewed to see if there are other issues.

Your present test "result" doesn't give full assurance that the issue is with the side tabs because you have basically disconnected half the panel.

Comment

what happens when you do the same type of test the "other way around"?

The best test for checking the conditions is to unplug the small corner cable in the bottom corner of the panel (one on each side) with the tcon cables ALL connected. This test isolates on the side tab drivers but should result is a "full picture" which can then be reviewed to see if there are other issues.

Your present test "result" doesn't give full assurance that the issue is with the side tabs because you have basically disconnected half the panel.
                                        I understand. So I went and hooked all 4 cables back up to the T-Con like you said and Disconnected the cable from the right side corner( looking from the rear of the TV) my symptoms were cross-hatched with no Image picture it ran for about 3 minutes then it through the 2 5 code. listed below.

so I hooked that corner cable back up and I unplugged the left corner cable(looking from the rear) Symptoms then was a pretty decent picture with normal color on the left and dark picture in the middle with a reddish hue to slightly lighter on the right side of the screen I let it run 5 mins and it did not through a code.

Thanks for the help
                                        Attached Files

Comment

ok.... hmmmm..... it would appear based on the first picture that you can see that there is some horizontal lining happen. That usually points to an issue with the side.... but the amount of "disturbance" vertically is somewhat surprising although not necessarily unseen / unforeseen as issues with a side tab can have strange results impacting the lower edge boards at the bottom of the panel that are feeding the side edge boards and ultimately feeding the side tabs which in this case appear to have an issue.

the next check would be to look closer on the side tabs of the likely bad side (left side from the back... since disconnecting it gave a relatively good picture). look to see if the lower tab on that side are hot or have some form of "heat burns". that will confirm that you are on the right track and likely only have to remove that side to get a working set again. This is just for extra care as once you have removed the sides, there is no way back as they CAN NOT be replaced.
                                          Last edited by budwich; 07-03-2019, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X