Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sanyo DP42849 - No Power At All

Hello,

Picked this Sanyo up today to try and fix for my own personal use, and I think I need a bit of help. I assumed, before actually getting the set, that I would find a situation like this, since it seems to be a common issue, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

When I hit the power button, I get nothing - no indicator lights, no clicks, no static, no nothing. When removing back panel, I saw that fat cable going from power board to logic board was disconnected - reconnected it, but still nothing. I suspect previous owner messed with it.

I looked around inside and didn't see any leaky or bulging caps, or any blackened or burnt areas. No funny smells. My best guess, then, would be a blown fuse, but I don't know. Is that glass fuse near where the power cord attaches of any significance? Is there a way to test it?

Maybe someone with more experience can see something that I wouldn't notice - I'm still learning and this is my first LCD TV.

I have a MM - currently watching YT videos to learn how to use it.

Any advice on what to do next/how to troubleshoot would be appreciated - pretty desperate and tired of looking at a little tube TV.

Thanks,
    Anne

Edit: After further research, it seems that the fuse near the power cord is the main fuse. It's soldered to the board (figures I'd get one without a fuse-holder) - is there a way to test it without removing it? Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NihonNoir; 01-17-2014, 12:03 AM. Reason: Additional Info

Re: Sanyo DP42849 - No Power At All

You can ohm the fuse with an ohmmeter. A voltmeter on ohm setting. Place probes on each side of the fuse. If good you will get a 0 or a beep. I believe this model is plagued with the inverter issue.
    Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Originally posted by NihonNoir View Post
      Hello,

Picked this Sanyo up today to try and fix for my own personal use, and I think I need a bit of help. I assumed, before actually getting the set, that I would find a situation like this, since it seems to be a common issue, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

When I hit the power button, I get nothing - no indicator lights, no clicks, no static, no nothing. When removing back panel, I saw that fat cable going from power board to logic board was disconnected - reconnected it, but still nothing. I suspect previous owner messed with it.

I looked around inside and didn't see any leaky or bulging caps, or any blackened or burnt areas. No funny smells. My best guess, then, would be a blown fuse, but I don't know. Is that glass fuse near where the power cord attaches of any significance? Is there a way to test it?

Maybe someone with more experience can see something that I wouldn't notice - I'm still learning and this is my first LCD TV.

I have a MM - currently watching YT videos to learn how to use it.

Any advice on what to do next/how to troubleshoot would be appreciated - pretty desperate and tired of looking at a little tube TV.

Thanks,
      Anne

Edit: After further research, it seems that the fuse near the power cord is the main fuse. It's soldered to the board (figures I'd get one without a fuse-holder) - is there a way to test it without removing it? Thanks.
      if you are learning to use a multimeter,can you post up a pic ,so we can tell you what settings to put it on when we do testing?

is this set completely dead?,nothing at all?,led ,sound,flash of backlights?

power lead fuse checked?

also want a pic of the connectors going into the power supply,showing there voltage markings
      Last edited by multimeter; 01-17-2014, 03:51 AM.
      fixed so far...376 lg lcd tv's,24 onn tv;s,24 panasonic lcd,16 jvc lcd,12 marshall jcm800 amps,refurb of various disco equipment lighting,old style disco decks ,and a flymo!

----------------------------------------------
      please let us know if everything works ok if your tv gets fixed, as it will be and aid for anyone else having the same problem and wishing to fix it.it would save people clogging up this site with topics that are duplicated,and can be found easily using the search function.,and taking up valuable space.enjoy your fixed tv!,hopefully!

Comment

Thanks for replying, fellas.

Freak - Can you elaborate on the inverter issue?

Multi - This set is totally dead. I get absolutely nothing. Not even a standby light, if this model even has one.

I'll check the fuse and post back with the requested photos.

Thank you!
        Anne

Comment

That big transformer here:
          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1389934999
          seems to fail. (Inverter issue.)

Try checking the power supply pins to see if you have any voltages.
          To check: meter on the 20V range, black probe on chassis, red probe poke into each pin where the wire meets, see if you get anything.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

yes but even if that transformer is damaged which does happen on this particular power supply usually the TV will still attempt to power up with a green light so yes do check fuses on the power supply first make sure that you're getting the proper AC input. Also on dc mode with voltmeter check 5v standby
            Last edited by freakaftr8; 01-17-2014, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Okay, so I tested the fuse and I didn't get zero. The needle stayed, if I'm reading this correctly, between 1 and 2 ohms? Or, about 3/4 of the way to the right of the scale.

Here are more photos. I had natural light this time, so hopefully they came out a little better than with the flash. I can take more if I didn't do these right.

Thanks.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by NihonNoir; 01-17-2014, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Top scale used for ohms. Sadly that meter is woefully inadequate for TV repair. Maybe old CRTs it would do. On an LCD, 1 volt can make all the difference. Would highly advise upgrading to a digital multimeter, even a basic model, they start from around $10.
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                  That big transformer here:
                  https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1389934999
                  seems to fail. (Inverter issue.)

Try checking the power supply pins to see if you have any voltages.
                  To check: meter on the 20V range, black probe on chassis, red probe poke into each pin where the wire meets, see if you get anything.
                  Tom, are you referring to that spider looking thing with the orange legs?

On my meter I don't have 20, but I have 50 in both alternating current and direct current.

Thank you.

Comment

Please see my above comment - your meter may not be sufficient to test this PSU.
                    The transformer is the yellow thing with big orange coils.... but that would not cause no standby power.

Comment

Well at this point, I can't get another meter until Tuesday, and I need to get working on this. Is the fuse good or should I start working on replacing it. What fuse should I replace it with?

Thanks.

Comment

Fuse seems good - a second test would be to set your meter on 400 or 600vAC and carefully put the black probe on the mains negative input pin and probe each end of the fuse with the red probe

EDIT Meter on 250vAC is good in the US
                        Last edited by selldoor; 01-17-2014, 03:14 PM.
                        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                          Fuse seems good - a second test would be to set your meter on 400 or 600vAC and carefully put the black probe on the mains negative input pin and probe each end of the fuse with the red probe

EDIT Meter on 250vAC is good in the US
                          Sorry, but I don't understand what you're saying. Can you dumb it down?

Note: Apparently you have to calibrate MM before use. I touched leads together and turned knob until I got 0 ohms on readout, and retested fuse. I got 0 ohms.

Comment

Sorry I cant dumb it down more than that - If you dont follow that then you are likely to kill yourself and I wouldnt want to be party to that.

But yes the fuse seems good
                            Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

Can someone else please articulate in useful detail what it is I can do next? Thanks.

Comment

Well, Amazon was nice enough to upgrade the shipping on my new DMM (I got this one), so it'll be here Monday. I'll be back.

Comment

That's Good. When u get it check back with us. You need to look for 5vstby black probe on ground pin and red lead on 5v standby pin. Meter set on dc.

Comment

if your new to this,christ sake be careful,you have combined inverter-psu,

generating around 1200-1500vdc,if you touch the wrong thing ,it will hug you.

can you put a pic of the meter up?so we know what were dealing with

your going to be doing dead testing and live testing
                                    fixed so far...376 lg lcd tv's,24 onn tv;s,24 panasonic lcd,16 jvc lcd,12 marshall jcm800 amps,refurb of various disco equipment lighting,old style disco decks ,and a flymo!

please let us know if everything works ok if your tv gets fixed, as it will be and aid for anyone else having the same problem and wishing to fix it.it would save people clogging up this site with topics that are duplicated,and can be found easily using the search function.,and taking up valuable space.enjoy your fixed tv!,hopefully!

Comment

Originally posted by multimeter View Post

can you put a pic of the meter up?
                                      link in post 16

Originally posted by multimeter View Post

dead testing
                                      I hope not

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                                        link in post 16

I hope not
                                        ahh,didnt see that,thanx

"i hope not" me too...

Comment

Working...
                                        X