Troubleshooting TVs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Troubleshooting TVs...

This is just a general question, but where do you start troubleshooting TVs? I have a TV that turns on (the green power light comes on), has sound (static), but no picture. I can provide the specific make/model if needed.

I opened it up, checked the fuses with an ohm meter (both okay), checked all of the caps (none bloated or blown open), now I am at a loss.

What are the most common problems that go along with 'no picture'? A bad picture tube? Is there a 'picture tube controller'? I know I probably sound retarded, so if it's better to take this to a pro, then I will.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Troubleshooting TVs...

Static is only with the tuner in out of band or dead, or have no 33V tuning voltage. Have you confirmed it is not in guide plus mode?

Do you have video inputs? Is it working and clear pics?

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

i have a Hyundai HPT4240 plasma tv, and need advice on what type of caps i need for it. they are square and bluemaybe about an inch long and half as wide, i think they are polypropylene,they are marked..SHINSHIN P1.0 (K)+-10% 630V. they are in the power supply.also maybe where i may be able to buy them. thank you in advance

Comment

These are not the issues.

Are you getting pic on the panel (getting menu, press the menu), works on any other inputs?

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

a follow up. i found having warmed the caps up. the set will work first time.
          as normaly it will turn on then off. maybe bad electrolite?. i have read that sometimes caps loose there ability to opperate normaly when cold. or dried out. anyone confirm? thanks

Comment

Certain these are the ones? Because there are electrolytic capacitor near by.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

i have read that these are the most likely wizard. along with an electrolitic. (50v 10uf) i have read that this one goes open. so heating it wont fix that one i think.so maybe its these ones?
              Last edited by ironbot; 12-10-2008, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadkill203
                This is just a general question, but where do you start troubleshooting TVs? I have a TV that turns on (the green power light comes on), has sound (static), but no picture. I can provide the specific make/model if needed.

I opened it up, checked the fuses with an ohm meter (both okay), checked all of the caps (none bloated or blown open), now I am at a loss.

What are the most common problems that go along with 'no picture'? A bad picture tube? Is there a 'picture tube controller'? I know I probably sound retarded, so if it's better to take this to a pro, then I will.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
                are the crt heaters lit?
                hear hv static when you turn it on?
                turn up g2 and see what you get.
                working on a jvc now that not only blanks video but shuts down with no vert out.
                keeps from burning a line in the tube.

Comment

confirmed the cap with the prob i isolated it (with the help of a cardboard tube) and the set worked.

Comment

ok i ask again. anyone know where i can get these caps? SHINSHIN P1.0 (K)+-10% 630V 1 uF.....for Hyundai HPT4240 . the other cap i can get easy.

Comment

1uF? 630V? Is it plastic dip or retangle?

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

wizard they are rectangle, blue and have SHINSHIN P1.0 (K)+-10% 630V on the top. from what i have read they are 1uf.
                        Last edited by ironbot; 12-13-2008, 06:13 AM.

Comment

It's probably either a Metalized Polyester cap or Polypropylene cap.

630 volts is a common voltage for those cap types.

They are usually pretty reliable (way more reliable than lytics) but with Chinachina stamped on it I'm sure that's the reason it failed.

Does it have any UL ratings on it? If so it's a line X or Y cap these are special caps.
                          Last edited by Krankshaft; 12-13-2008, 05:20 PM.
                          Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Working...
                          X