Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yamaha RX-A3010 working, no sound output

This is gonna be a fun one, here we go.

AVR powers up, displays menu over HDMI correctly, all settings work etc.

I can switch the inputs and adjust the volume level, but none of the speakers will produce any sound whatsoever. Last time I came across such problem it was a faulty Texas DSP BGA chip but this AVR is much different in construction.

Did anyone come across this issue? Where to go on with this? It has some really weird power stages as well, never seen that before on any AVR.

Attached Files

Re: Yamaha RX-A3010 working, no sound output

I don't know anything about this receiver, just an idea I'm throwing out there. Recently, with somebody's(TJmotter) help on another forum, we have found a Mute IC, that was shorted, an op-amp IC had a hole in it, also a bunch of smd transistors were bad. This was an Onkyo receiver though.

Comment

try injecting a signal direct into power amp inputs

Comment

Have you tried the "pure direct" mode?
        Last edited by frankusb; 11-20-2019, 08:52 AM.

Comment

this amp has appears to have speaker relays.
          the amp should click relay after time delay.
          white flat resistors on each side of amp probably should have 0 volts on center pin. not 0v.. bad channel output circuit.
          I would start there

Comment

As suggested, do you hear the speaker protection relays click on about 5 seconds later after turning on the receiver?
            Do you get audio at the line out jacks?
            Pleas upload the pictures of the rear panel also.
            Never stop learning
            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I have an older model - A1010.. if I remember correctly, somewhere here should be a post/thread about troubleshooting it... anyway - long story short - bad power supply on the mainboard ( the top one ). The voltage rails were there, but too noisy which was causing the ICs not to work correctly... there was some functionality, but again no sound, no internet, etc.
              Since checking that rails is really easy ( no disassembling ) I suggest you to start from here..

edit: here is the thread, but not much useful info there.. indeed I did not even update it with the final fix ( replaced some smd inductors ) and I guess I will not update it just to avoid reviving it - https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61960

I guess the most useful thing for you from there is that the multichannel input and the direct/pure mode do not go through the mainboard.. so you should check if you get output by using them... still you should check the service manual to see if this is valid for your unit.

edit 2: those AVRs have very good service menu with useful troubleshooting options... like checking the data transfer between the ICs
              Last edited by madan1; 11-27-2019, 08:03 PM.

Comment

I suspect that the OP found the problem... maybe since he hasn't come back. Its possibly a "finger problem"... :-) As with most "stuff" these days, setup can be "less than straight forward". I have a "brother" of this one, an A1010. There are lots of options that need setting and if you aren't use to them, it could be difficult. In this case, there is an option in the "option" menu for audio. It can be set to "auto" but it can also be set to a specific "type/mode"... those being hdmi, coax/optical, analog.... those allow for the video to show one thing while the sound can come for other input sources. The OP doesn't appear to have indicated that he checked all types of input sources (ie. tuner, coax, etc) as suggested to ensure what the sound issue is or isn't as he appears to indicate a problem with "hdmi". Further, there is a some "status" screens that indicate how the input has been setup, in particular what signal is being received and its characteristics (ie. channels, bit rate, etc). Those would be helpful with this problem.

Comment

I sincerely apologize for not responding in such a long time, kinda abandoned the unit partially disassembled under the table. When it's turned on I can hear exactly 5 clicks. 3 clicks shortly upon powering on, then 2 clicks few seconds later (the ones for speakers I assume). Pure direct mode does not produce any sound either. This unit I find quite difficult to work with, packed tight and quite heavy.

I have checked bias voltage of all the output pairs, all of them have 10-15mV of bias at the calibration connectors, so the current between the pairs seems right. This appears like pre-amp / control section problem to me.

How could I safely inject it with direct audio to the amp section without destroying it any further? I really find this unit intimidating to repair, there are so many stacked "inner" boards with no access for any measurements.

Originally posted by budm View Post
                  Pleas upload the pictures of the rear panel also.
                  Here you go:

Originally posted by budm View Post
                  Do you get audio at the line out jacks?
                  Only a flat line on the scope, with small noise. No audio coming from any of them.

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                  The OP doesn't appear to have indicated that he checked all types of input sources (ie. tuner, coax, etc) as suggested
                  There is no audio on any type of input. All functions work but it's like you don't have any speakers connected to it.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by FrozenHaxor; 01-14-2020, 11:05 AM.

Comment

so what does the "status screen" display on the tv when you have a signal input. There is data about the type of input, bit rate, etc...

Comment

so what does the "status screen" display on the tv when you have a signal input. There is data about the type of input, bit rate, etc...
                      Is this what you're looking for? Images made while connected with analog stereo input via front RCA, playing stereo music into it.

Attached Files

Comment

You should be able to generate test signal to each speaker output from the service menu.
                        Did you check the voltage rails on the main board? There should be 5 or 12V ( not sure about the value, check the SM for the exact number ) coming from the standby power supply and probably the main transformer which are then converted to 1.8v, 3.3v, 5v, 7v etc. You should check all of that rails and for ripples.
                        Last edited by madan1; 01-15-2020, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FrozenHaxor View Post
                          Is this what you're looking for? Images made while connected with analog stereo input via front RCA, playing stereo music into it.

somewhat yes..... although the analog input doesn't provide much detail. If you can, please try inputting a digital input (ie. dvd or bluray). This may check the front end decoding / signal detection / conversion. I haven't looked at the signal flows (especially associated with my a1010) as to whether all signals are digitized and then handled in the digital domain then finally output / converted to analog at the output stage.

Also, as suggested by the previous poster, does the speaker check / setup / test signal work?

Further, what comes out of the headphone jack? Does the unit indicate a change in terms plugging in or out of the headphone jack?
                          Last edited by budwich; 01-15-2020, 01:08 PM.

Comment

More.... have you tried a factory reset? Have you looked into the "silent cinema" feature?

Comment

another idea... get a microphone (any microphone) and plug it into the calibration input and see what the system detects and does.

Comment

somewhat yes..... although the analog input doesn't provide much detail. If you can, please try inputting a digital input (ie. dvd or bluray). This may check the front end decoding / signal detection / conversion. I haven't looked at the signal flows (especially associated with my a1010) as to whether all signals are digitized and then handled in the digital domain then finally output / converted to analog at the output stage.

Also, as suggested by the previous poster, does the speaker check / setup / test signal work?

Further, what comes out of the headphone jack? Does the unit indicate a change in terms plugging in or out of the headphone jack?
                                I've used coax input this time to test (known good source that actually works on my onkyo right now) and this was the result, to me it did not recognize it at all. I correctly switched it from analog to coax in setup of AV1 input.

Plugging in headphones results in relays switching, I assume speaker cutout. So it does recognize them, yet no sound from headphones.

More.... have you tried a factory reset? Have you looked into the "silent cinema" feature?
                                I did look into that feature, looks like a gimmick name for headphones output to me.

I also somewhat tried to find a complete reset option, but I just cannot find it, manual does not really help in this case either, or I'm just blind.

another idea... get a microphone (any microphone) and plug it into the calibration input and see what the system detects and does.
                                I have an original IPAO Yamaha mic from another set that I had since new, upon plugging in it immediately asked me if I wanted to perform the automatic process of speaker calibration, I confirmed. Maybe a minute passed and this popped up:

Attached Files

Comment

Try this reset: this is for the RX-A1010 https://usa.yamaha.com/support/faq/a...sual/9441.html
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                                    Try this reset: this is for the RX-A1010 https://usa.yamaha.com/support/faq/a...sual/9441.html
                                    Alright I will try that shortly

Comment

hopefully a full reset will help. there isn't much to go on for the err10 other than an internal error but doesn't point to any specific area which would have been nice. Guess yamaha wants the service work.... :-) Your "coax" test is somewhat telling that the front end has issues (ie. pre processor)... again an hdmi input might be better as then your are dealing with a specific "standard" and you may be able to narrow down where that is on one of the boards. Further, the hdmi standard has things like "5v" associated with it that might point you closer depending on what the result is.

Comment

one other thing about the "headphone test"... you indicated no sound from the headphones.... BUT you need to try an iinput of analog (and see an input signal identified on the status screen). This may help narrow down where the issue lies depending on the outcome.

Comment

Working...
                                        X