Yamaha RX-V577 - DC: PRT 000L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yamaha RX-V577 - DC: PRT 000L

Manual says DC output of power amplifier is abnormal.

Power supply board looks to be ok, 5.5V is good.

Looks like I need to go deeper, where do I start?

Re: Yamaha RX-V577 - DC: PRT 000L

Check for shorted output transistors

Comment

Thanks for the tip. So I'm looking on the MAIN amp board, powered off, measuring impedance on all transistors. Will have to do some disassembly first to get to them all.

Comment

Ok, the big transistors on the heat sink all seem to be not-shorted. Any advice on next step?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Check the voltage on all the output channels, this is usually at the common point of the ceramic emitter resistors of the output transistors or the output to the speakers BEFORE the output protection relay. This offset voltage needs to be close to 0 volts. Upload the service manual
          Last edited by R_J; 05-13-2020, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Service manual attached. What boards do I need to reconnect and power up to check these voltages?
            Attached Files

Comment

Which boards do you have disconnected? I would think you need all of them connected. Check the voltages on (page 108) the center of R2249 for the FL channel. or any point on that line that you can access like SCN-SCN 5P and 4P
              You need to check this voltage as soon as you turn on the amp. if you wait the protection circuit will cut in and you will get a false reading. You need to check this voltage on all channels.
              You may need to cancel protection mode (page 28) to work on the amp.

Comment

I took the digital board and Operation(4) board out to get to the output transistors. Once I put the boards back, getting to measure more than 2 of these resistors (C + FL) will be a bit tricky to impossible.
                Attached Files

Comment

what about the position on page 21, that should allow access to the main board. Don't forget the ground jumper leads.
                  Last edited by R_J; 05-13-2020, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                    what about the position on page 21, that should allow access to the main board. Don't forget the ground jumper leads.
                    That looks doable. Let me reassemble and pop the back off.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                      Which boards do you have disconnected? I would think you need all of them connected. Check the voltages on (page 108) the center of R2249 for the FL channel. or any point on that line that you can access like SCN-SCN 5P and 4P
                      You need to check this voltage as soon as you turn on the amp. if you wait the protection circuit will cut in and you will get a false reading. You need to check this voltage on all channels.
                      You may need to cancel protection mode (page 28) to work on the amp.
                      All the ceramic resistors are 0V, except R2249, showing -9.8VDC on the 3 legs.

Comment

Some voltage readings:
                        Attached Files

Comment

That will be the problem channel, You should be able to compare resistance etc. to a good channel to find the problem. It is only -10v so it might be hard to locate the cause of the offset.

Comment

Thanks R_J,

To confirm, I'll power down and check device resistance & compare to good channel? Looking at everything from resistors, diodes, transistors and caps?

Comment

Found some components that don't meter like the others. Time to order some parts.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Also found C2165 to have lower resistance. This one is a mlyar cap, hard to find. Seems like only NTE has it, so I'll order everything from there, as best they have it.
                                Attached Files

Comment

I doubt the cap C2165 has a problem, they are very reliable. there are many things that can throw off the readings, The meter uses a small voltage to check resistance so ANY stray voltage in the circuit will throw off the reading one way or the other. I would suspect either a resistor that change value (went high in value) or a leaky transistor, which might not show up in a resistance check.
                                  Remember that the OFFSET voltage you measured is -9.8v, which indicates that Q2137 or Q2151 is very slightly biased on a bit more than Q2136 or Q2150. You might need to chack as farback in the circuit as Q2114, Q2121. There are dc voltages given on the schematic, did you check how close they were?
                                  Last edited by R_J; 05-20-2020, 12:25 PM.

Comment

The parts arrived and sat for a few weeks. Finally pulled the unit off the shelf and started pulling parts. C2135 was dead for sure, no capacitance measured. Replaced. I also replaced Q2107 & Q2114.

The rest of the suspect parts I pulled from the board and measured out of circuit, all came in fine.

The unit now powers up fine. I'm getting a 39-40 mV reading on R2249 (all 3 legs are the same). Other resistors are 0.000V. It was -9.8V before, so much better.

Should I be worried about 40mV there? I guess I can start looking at circuit voltages and compare to the schematic.

Comment

Voltages measured in protect mode is showing 50mV. (prior measurement showing 40mV was not in protect mode).

I'm not smart enough with analog circuits to figure out where the issue lies.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

q21174 q2107 need a matched pair .

Comment

Working...
                                        X