Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mitsubishi Plasma Tv picture goes real dark then light and washed out after 5 minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mitsubishi Plasma Tv picture goes real dark then light and washed out after 5 minutes

are you familair with plasma tvs??....mitsubishi PD-5010 50 inch

i bought a 50 inch mitsubishi that turns on and works fine 5-30 minutes but then then the picutre fades to very very dark and fades in and out but kinda like washed out an funky looking........its real weird looking .. the tv it does this continuously..goes to real dark then back to light and then dark and then light....the picture during this processis totally messed up and distorted..never goes back to good....if i turn it off for a while and then power it back on i get a good pic for a few minutes.

if anyone knows what could be casuing this i would appreciate it...and what to look for...i can solder and desolder and am willing to take the tv apart if replacing a component would fix this.

i have some pictures if anyone wants to email me or leave their eimal and i also have tried to attach them here..i have also included 2 pics of shrek thats shows the picture is fine when you first turn on the tv..

dcxguy48080@yahoo.com
    Attached Files
    Last edited by shelby5041; 02-14-2009, 08:07 AM.

Re: Mitsubishi Plasma Tv picture goes real dark then light and washed out after 5 minutes

There is definitely something fishy in the video stage here.

Could be a bad connection somewhere either solder joint based or connector based.
    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Re: Mitsubishi Plasma Tv picture goes real dark then light and washed out after 5 minutes

Do you knwo plamsa is DANGEROUS thing to work in? Okay, do you have meter?

Black probe on the metal chassis (it is ground) and use your red probe on Ve, Vs, and Vg and other one Va sometimes (four in total), Voltage must almost match what panel voltages sticker says during the funky epsiodes of going white or dark.

If one of them is way off, come back and discuss.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Re: Mitsubishi Plasma Tv picture goes real dark then light and washed out after 5 min

hi thanks for your reply

but im not sure what you are talking about when you say Ve, Vs, and Vg and other one Va sometimes (four in total)...can you explain in more detail...

i do have a voltmeter ......i posted this problem again..im really hoping you can help me....

thanks

Comment

Re: Mitsubishi Plasma Tv picture goes real dark then light and washed out after 5 min

well i turned on the plasma today and gave it a good whack on the back and the picture stayed on for 3 hrs perfect but then eventually went bad again....after that the pic was bad....no matter how much i whacked it...so now about 8 hrs later i tried powering it on and whacking it and the pic was only good for the first 30 sec...i then just lifted up one said of the tv and the pic is good again for how long?? who knows....

im wondering if it is just a bad solder somewhere like previous guy said...it really seems that way....any input would be appreciated?? and directing me where to look for a possible bad solder would help

and here are some more pics from today showing you that the picture is very nice when its working......

thanks
          Attached Files

Comment

What you are describing is typical of a bad solder joint or any intermittent connection. The problem is finding it. One place to look is at heavy components (transformers, ICs with heat sinks) that are soldered to the board. These connections often have very little solder and crack easily.

Rather than pounding on it, moving it slightly is more effective. With luck you will find a point that a very small movement will cause it to switch from good to bad and back again.

PlainBill
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

yeah i have moved it up once and the tv worked fine but its all temporary

it is totally random.....sometimes it wont go back to good at all....

one day i will take it aprt and look

it does seem to be a bad solder or loose connection and not a bad part to me

i was just trying to find out if this was a common known part being defective but the more and more i mess with it the more i think its just a bad solder somewhere

but who knows......

jim

Comment

and by the way there is no one point that i move the tv where the picture will be ok...its random....

Comment

Working...
                X