Dell 2408WFP issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell 2408WFP issue

For a couple years now, on the right side of the monitor I would have a few purple vertical lines that would show up when the monitor was cold. After it warmed up the lines would go away. It started out with one or two lines then eventually got to be around 10 or so, but they would always go away when the monitor was warmed up. This all happened in about a 2 inch span on the right side of the monitor. A few days ago the whole right side started exhibiting weird corruption issues. It would come and go when the monitor warmed up. The rest of the screen is perfect.

After some Googling, I found a Youtube video that explained it could be an issue with a ribbon cable connecting to the panel. So I took apart my monitor, but it doesn't look anything like show in the video. The lcd panel is encased in a metal surround, I can not see any cables on the top as show in the video. So then I did more Googling and ran across some posts in these forums, but I never saw any real answers to my problem.

I'm sorry I don't currently have pictures of the issue as I already have the monitor torn apart. I can get pictures of the different boards, but I don't know which is which. Is it possible it is the T-Con board, or is it more likely the panel that is failing?

EDIT:
    I figured out how to get that front metal casing of the front of the panel. Now I can see that area as shown in the Youtube video. I'll see if pressure there makes any difference.

I am not very good with taking electrial readings. I do have a small digital multimeter that I barely know how to use it, but I can learn.
    Last edited by kricker; 07-17-2015, 11:12 AM.

Re: Dell 2408WFP issue

So I was off on where the lines happen. I put the monitor back together without the metal casing around the front of the LCD. Some lines are within the 2 inches of the right side, but there are others within 8 inches of the right side. I found if I put a little pressure on the right side of the 3 right ribbon connectors on the top of the monitor, the lines and corruption go away. So now to find the tape and pads as shown in that Youtube video.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kricker; 07-17-2015, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Sounds like that's what it is. A common problem, unfortunately. Easy fix if you have the right $50k rework machine, but otherwise you just have to stick something in there like the video says.
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

Sound like a neat machine to have! I've been on a search to put some kind of heat tolerant foam rubber to put in there to supply the pressure. There are some dense
        grey foam pads on the inside of the back casing. I'd like to find something like those.

Comment

that machine may not be *that* usefull.
          it could well be that it only works with clean glass and not one that has old adhesive still on it.

Comment

good afternoon I'm jose luis montilla I'm from venezuela technical in electronics apology for writing but yours was the first name that I saw my English is somewhat rough .podrias please tell me how to get information on this site thank you

Comment

Use the search function and don't post off topic in threads.

Comment

The point where those ribbons need pressure is on the board that runs across the top of the monitor and not near the glass. It looks as if those cables are somehow glued/stickied to that board.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  that machine may not be *that* usefull.
                  it could well be that it only works with clean glass and not one that has old adhesive still on it.
                  These guys for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqVU0YggPEs say they can repair LCDs with failures like in this thread and have such machines which apparently are very useful.

But of course, taking your TV to Korea or buying such a machine is madness to fix one TV...
                  "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                  -David VanHorn

Comment

I used some foam core and got the issue mostly fixed. I have one blue line left. It was perfect before I re-assembled the monitor all the way. SIGH. I guess I'll go back in later and find the one tiny spot that still needs some pressure.

Comment

Working...
                    X