NEC LCD1970NX clicking for no apparent reason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEC LCD1970NX clicking for no apparent reason

It's basically the same board as here https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ghlight=1970NX just the D108 is present with cap C121. PSU is clicking as in protection mode, no idea why.

There is supposed to be +5 and +12 V and that extra rail with an N-FET (AO4405) which outputs to some sound bar (not sure if the owner used it). It is somewhat darkened around the source but FET does not seem to be shorted (I read the internal diode so worst case is the FET is opened). Small SOT-23 transistor (most likely 2N7002) the same.

When I turned it on I read voltage oscilating around as much as 20 V on the +12 V rail while +5 V was done around 1,5. I thought maybe the FETs are bad anyway and the voltage is from the auxiliary rail but when I lifted the D108, voltage dropped to 18 V on +12 V otherwise the same.

All rectifiers and inverter FETs read OK as well as SMD diodes near LD75521S controller.
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Re: NEC LCD1970NX clicking for no apparent reason

20v on the 12v? could be a bad opto-isolator and the psu is running away and then going into overvoltage-shutdown maybe.

Comment

Yeah but than I wonder why 5 V does not go high too? It should, the power pumped into transformer should be distributed to all rails, no?

I thought about optocoupler too, it is 817C IIRC, will have a look after another one.
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

is the scr near the opto a crowbar circuit?

Comment

Did not encounter any. There are some tiny zeners though but I think with current neccessary for the feedback to think it is shorted they would already vaporize. No triacs, transils or anything similar.

Supposedly the display had troubles turning it, it needed many tries untill it finally started working. That would indicate caps but all are japanese and measure OK.

Comment

startup cap needs good ma handling - esr and capacitance tests dont check that.
            i have seen cap testers that do test the ripple current, but they are desktop units that cost hundreds!

Comment

Swapped the opto, still ticking.

Comment

Working...
              X