Adi E55 Crt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adi E55 Crt

On my P3 machine (running WinNT 4), I have a Viglen-branded CRT monitor - according to the Device Manager though, it's an ADI E55. About 3 inches over from the left of the screen is a noticeable dark stripe, running from the top of the screen to the bottom. The picture can still be seen underneath the stripe; it's not obscuring anything - but tends to be annoying, especially if you are looking at another part of the screen and see the stripe out of the corner of your eye.

The stripe seems to be most obvious with darker backgrounds - such as the default green color desktop that Windows 95, 98 and NT use. As I'm typing this message now, I can barely see it (white background). Minimizing the browser window, the stripe becomes obvious.

I used the OSD and moved the picture horizontally left and right; and also degaussed the monitor - no change in the stripe position or visibility. I guess that rules out video signals going into the monitor.

That leaves me with two possibilities - screen burn, or a problem with the electron gun control circuits (or shadow mask).
    I don't remember leaving anything on the screen for an extended period of time; certainly nothing that could have burnt the screen in that particular spot. Indeed, I switch off the monitor when I leave the PC unattended! Perhaps it's screen burn from when this PC and monitor was used as a work machine, although I don't know why I never noticed it before.

Can you guys suggest any more tests I could do, or a possible fix?
    You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Re: Adi E55 Crt

What about a photo? Did you try it with some other machine?
    BTW. I have ADI ProVista E44 - it's like E55 but smaller

Comment

Re: Adi E55 Crt

How thick is the stripe? If its really thin, I've seen on Trinitron type monitors where two of very thin mask wires, which run from top to bottom from across the width of the monitor will get stuck together causing a now noticable line . Usually this happens if the monitor was jostled severely (ie: UPS shipping). Giving the monitor a good thwap on the top of the monitor is usually enough to get the grid to unstick.

Comment

Working...
      X