Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjustable or not??

Hello Everyone,

I have a Daewoo 518X 15 inch CRT monitor that I've had lying in a shed for over six months now.

It is in the shed because the display is blurry. I can still see text if I put the contrast down to about 60, but that also dims out the display.

It was an ex-factory monitor so it was used quite a lot through the years.

I've had it for 4 years, when I first got it, it wasn't as blurry as it is now. I used it a lot also, so that also contributes to wear and tear.

I want to know if it is possible to fiddle with something inside the CRT to adjust the clearness. I tried the OSD controls and they don't help a lot. I heard some people could open thier monitors and fiddle around with a few controls inside to adjust the focus of the display.

It is a very good monitor, the colours are great but it is only the blurriness that made me put it out into the shed.

Thanks.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: Adjustable or not??

look at the flyback.
    top is focus bottom g2.
    watch what you touch in there .
    easy to get knocked on your ass!

Comment

If it's not the flyback or G2 adjustment, then it is plain old age. As the monitor ages, the electron gun output decreases as the cathode emission degrades with time. One temporary fix I do is to increase the heater voltage by 25 to 50% . Easily done with monitors where heater voltage comes from a single turn loop of wire around the flyback core. Just disconnect one end of the wire, make another half turn or so, and reconnect. At best, it's a temporary fix because the heater will burn out sooner or later with the increased voltage.

Comment

Hmm, maybe I should have tried this with an old Nokia 21" monitor I threw out

Then again maybe not, seeing how often I get zapped even by low voltage AC

I heard the flyback's voltage does wonder for your hair :P
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
        X