Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

samsung plasmas & lightning

Hello,
    About a week ago lightning struck a tree very close to house and took out both my 63" and the 51" ....the 63 cycles on off on off on off very quickly, while the 51 does nothing, the screen does light up when plug in but goes black. Have ordered replacement power boards for both hoping that's all I need...."yeah right" figured it was a good start. Any other ideas would be much appreciated.

Re: samsung plasmas & lightning

The main boards sometimes blow, also. If you have a multimeter and some patience, people here can probably help you test to find the root causes and save some money vs. the "shotgun" approach It's up to you, but you may want to create an additional thread to separate the diagnoses and avoid confusion.

In general, for starters, check your fuses and scan the PSU and main boards closely with a flashlight to look for burned components.
    Last edited by capkid; 07-28-2013, 10:30 PM.
    LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

i believe on the Samsungs you may be able to isolate the mainboard and jumper the test patterns on the logic control board and see if the panel fires up.

Maybe list the models and post some pictures of the boards especially the logic ctrl board and mainboards.

Someone here will know what needs to be jumpered.

Comment

I have had a couple of lightning strike TV's and both gave the impression of PSU failure but both turned out to be mains

Comment

I will start with the 63" Model#PN63B590T5FXZA.
          It will try to power up but turns right back off.. all on its own and will keep doing this cycle its about every 3 sec. cycle
          I do have a power board on the way (fingers crossed) but surely not that easy!!! I have looked have not seen anything wrong on any of the boards. just looked again and the screen does light up then right back off, the TV was on when the lightning struck outside... Thanks again for any input!!
          Last edited by heathbar; 07-29-2013, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Logic board test: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26790

Comment

Well... I went ahead and ordered a main board for the 51" and that was the problem !!! I can only hope the same for my 63"!!! I will keep ya"ll posted.

Comment

Originally posted by heathbar View Post
                Well... I went ahead and ordered a main board for the 51" and that was the problem !!! I can only hope the same for my 63"!!! I will keep ya"ll posted.
                Very nice. Good to hear. One down and one to go.

Comment

update... Went ahead and replaced the main board in the 63" and that was the problem... I was going to do a firmware update but there is none for the 63", so I guess it should be ok.

Comment

Hi
                    Sorry to bump this old thread
                    Trying to fix the same 63" model PN63B590T5FXZA with similar symptoms
                    Any idea what could be wrong with the main board?
                    I'm aware of the common failure of tantalum caps on other Samsung TVs from that era (around 2009) but this Mainboard does not seem to have any tantalum caps on in.

Pics attached
                    Main P/N BN96-12148A
                    Any ideas appreciated
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by zape; 09-22-2017, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Have you run the test as given post#6 ?
                      Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Yes I tried. No difference.
                        The TV tries to power on, sometimes even flashes with the panel, but after couple of "On-Off" attempts (with audible relay clicks on the power supply) turns back off.

Comment

Normally you can bypass the main if faulty and make the set show test patterns. Now if power supply faulty the bypass won't work. However it should be fairly straight forward to figure this out by disconnecting and isolating which is at fault.

You should be able to disconnect y and x mains and use resistor to force power supply on and get voltage readings. Even try with main connected to see if you're getting proper voltages from power supply. If power supply is working then connect 1 board at a time till it stops working. That should reveal which board is at fault. If the main is at fault then the bypass test pattern will work if done properly, unless in rare cases you have multi board failures which is very possible with lighting surges.

P.S Never connect or disconnect anything on plasma tv while hot er on. Unplug and give it 30 sec discharge time before connecting or disconnecting anything.
                          Last edited by heavymachines; 09-23-2017, 08:48 AM. Reason: safety details.

Comment

It would be very helpful to take clear straight shot pics of entire back of set and your control board so we can better assist you.

Comment

OK I did another test now:
                              I shorted the 3-4 pins on the control board with jumper.
                              Instead of powering on with remote I just shorted the PS-ON to Ground
                              No test patterns appeared on the screen.

Attached pics
                              Attached Files

Comment

Should I follow as suggested on this video I just found?
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjrwTZC5nVg

Comment

Lets try this test again short pins 3 and 4 on ctrl board. The ribbon cable from main to ctrl board must be disconnected or it won't work.

leave power supply harness connected to main connected see if it turns on NO? Then try forcing power supply on if you do this route the main has to completely disconnected from anything if you use resistor to force ps on.

Comment

Originally posted by zape View Post
                                    Should I follow as suggested on this video I just found?
                                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjrwTZC5nVg

You can do this test yes.

Comment

Originally posted by heavymachines View Post
                                      The ribbon cable from main to ctrl board must be disconnected or it won't work.
                                      I disconnected it from the Main board side and not from the Control board side. Does it make any difference?

Comment

Originally posted by zape View Post
                                        I disconnected it from the Main board side and not from the Control board side. Does it make any difference?
                                        just needs to be disconnected should work.

Comment

Working...
                                        X