Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Computer troubles...

Originally posted by pfrcom View Post

If not, same outcome as doing BIOS update from command prompt within Windows in the old days
    I never had a BIOS flash failure in the early-2000s, LOL.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      If it makes you feel better, I bricked a supermicro C7Q67 a few weeks ago. I went to do a routine updating on a board that the 'tree' gave me. It went through the motions of updating, never post'd again.....its now an I5 paper weight. SM support actually let me down on this one, basically told me to go pound sand....apparently this board is known for flash failure incidents...there was a thread here about it!

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36190
      Do you think they have faulty BIOS chips??? That sounds a ton worse than my Soyo SY-K7VTA-B motherboard from facking China! Soyo and Chaintech were known to F-up on the BIOS! But even for both motherboards, (including the Chaintech CT-7AJA2E) no such kind of bullshit...
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Before flashing C7Q67s it's critical to observe Read_This_Before_Flash.txt from within BIOS Zip

Unfortunately (NotSo)SuperMicro seem to have included this warning only in BIOS 2.1a and later

Essentially one must disable Management Engine before doing BIOS update

If not, same outcome as doing BIOS update from command prompt within Windows in the old days
        I did. Followed their instructions to the letter. It had 1.0a on it. Updated to 1.1 as per the instructions, that was successful. The upgrade from 1.1 to 2.1 is what pooped the bed. Flash went without an issue, upon reboot it just never POST'd again.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

I did. Followed their instructions to the letter. It had 1.0a on it. Updated to 1.1 as per the instructions, that was successful. The upgrade from 1.1 to 2.1 is what pooped the bed. Flash went without an issue, upon reboot it just never POST'd again.
          Being a slow learner , when I reflashed second of the two C7Q67s from thread you referenced, I recall no reboot and having that sinking feeling after all the drama with the first

However, unlike the first, the second didn't light up its CATERR LED and I recovered it by following SuperMicro BIOS Recovery instructions (BIOS image on USB flash key and Ctrl&Home IIRC)
          better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

If it makes you feel better, I bricked a supermicro C7Q67 a few weeks ago. I went to do a routine updating on a board that the 'tree' gave me. It went through the motions of updating, never post'd again.....its now an I5 paper weight. SM support actually let me down on this one, basically told me to go pound sand....apparently this board is known for flash failure incidents...there was a thread here about it!

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36190
            Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
            Such paper weights can be mailed to me
            Cover the shipping, its yours.
            Board arrived this Friday, looking at the date of the quoted posts gives you an idea how much love I have for the Swedish postal service these days!
            Anyway, I tried first to recover it using the BIOS recovery method quoted by pfcom below.
            However as pfcom says it seems whenever the CATERR LED is lit you're basically fucked, and it was on this board...

So I desoldered the little Macronix MX25L6406E BIOS chip and flashed the latest BIOS using my Willem GQ-4X programmer and the ADP-081 adapter.
            Board POST:ed just fine after that endevour: It should be illegal to not put a socketed BIOS chip or a ICSP port so it can be programmed, but I digress.
            Thanks allot TC for the board!

Originally posted by stj View Post
            so bricked by the spyware!
            something else to blame Intel for!
            Yup, it sure seems that way!
            I do wonder if the JPME1 jumper that must be shorted when flashing the BIOS on this board actually is the same as the NSA uses to disable the ME on their boards?
            It seems like that might be the case, when I have some time I'll see if the board works with that jumper there. (I know the NSA uses a software switch but that also exists in the BIOS, but it's temporary as I understand it).
            Being a slow learner , when I reflashed second of the two C7Q67s from thread you referenced, I recall no reboot and having that sinking feeling after all the drama with the first

However, unlike the first, the second didn't light up its CATERR LED and I recovered it by following SuperMicro BIOS Recovery instructions (BIOS image on USB flash key and Ctrl&Home IIRC)
            Attached Files
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

...and it only took almost 3 months to get there!! Glad it made it and glad you got it going. Use it in good health!
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Working...
              X