Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reliable manageble poe switch

Hello,

For my camera systems I've been using the UBNT toughswitch 8 ports as my managed switch for it provides 24 and 48 volts and I can remotely control each port( from home via teamviewer) to reset a AP or camera etc.

They seem reliable but are older now and at some places we run into speed problems with gigabit speeds between pc's.

So I'm thinking maybe it's time to move on to something better? I do need it to be a choice of 24 or 48 volts for each port separately and reliable is needed as distances between systems is great. Don't want to drive there every week lol

What do you guy's use?
    Last edited by martino; 12-13-2017, 12:58 AM.
    Proud owner of dozens of broken TV's and many,many,many boards.

Our website and passion:http://hollenhundshepherds.com/

Re: Reliable manageble poe switch

damn, when i saw the thread title i thought of ubiquiti... you're saying you need 10gige?

Comment

Teamviewer?
      LOL
      not exactly secure.

so how many ports do you need,
      and how many volts needed at the camera,
      and is there power near the camera's or are they up a pole / out in a field etc. ??
      do you actually need to remote-switch the pwer to each port?

Comment

I'd love to be educated about a better/safer/easier way to connect remotely then teamviewer. Teamviewer is what I know,I'm not really up to date on whats out there these days.

8 ports is good,could be 10 or 12 too

Most cameras now are 48 volts,but we also use 24 volts for let's say a AP,like a pico station from ubiquity. Nice to be able to use both in one switch.

Camera's are often on a pole/out of reach/not near wall outlet. I like PoE for a clean install etc.

Remote switching of PoE has proven to be pretty handy. People like it when you magically resolve their system issues from home. I like it too for not having to drive there or having to ask the client to unplug stuff etc.

I don't need 10gige. The tough switch is 10/100/1000 but it has issues with the 1000. I'm having trouble getting the switch to see it's connected to 1gig connection sometimes. Even in my own system at home,it sees my wife's pc s a 1gig connection but sees mine as 100mb,hence transfer of files between the two stays at 10mb/sec.
        While searching for a solution I seen many people having that issue with this switch. Hence me wondering if there is better stuff out there.

I'm not the smartest/up to date with this stuff,I use what I know and so far have happy costumers,but more then willing to try/hear about better ways of doing this
        Last edited by martino; 12-15-2017, 12:45 PM.
        Proud owner of dozens of broken TV's and many,many,many boards.

Our website and passion:http://hollenhundshepherds.com/

Comment

Continue with Ubiquiti?
          US‑8‑150W
          US‑16‑150W
          US‑24‑250W
          US‑24‑500W
          US‑48‑500W
          US‑48‑750W

You need an on-premise controller (which can link to a free cloud controller portal) or to link them to a paid for cloud controller.

Upside: Eliminates the need for Teamviewer, allows you to continue with your voltage requirements.
          Downside: Learning the quirks of the controller

Comment

Originally posted by martino View Post
            Most cameras now are 48 volts,but we also use 24 volts for let's say a AP,like a pico station from ubiquity. Nice to be able to use both in one switch.
            I think the lower-end devices will opt for 24V. They aren't completely/strictly standards compliant (there have been lots of techniques of delivering power over the network cable; not all are truly "PoE") as PoE and PoE+ both deliver ~48V to the PD. You have to decide what you want from PoE to be able to pick an appropriate solution. I.e., will your switch get upset if someone (accidentally) plugs a TELEPHONE into the network jack?

Camera's are often on a pole/out of reach/not near wall outlet. I like PoE for a clean install etc.
            In addition to eliminating a bunch of unsightly wall warts/bricks littering the premises, it's also a win for backing up (power) those devices without having to put a UPS (perhaps even a 20W UPS) in each of those locations! And, with the centralized battery, you can then manage the load to maximize the up-time of that backup supply (i.e., shed some loads to keep critical PoE loads up for a longer time)

I don't need 10gige. The tough switch is 10/100/1000 but it has issues with the 1000. I'm having trouble getting the switch to see it's connected to 1gig connection sometimes. Even in my own system at home,it sees my wife's pc s a 1gig connection but sees mine as 100mb,hence transfer of files between the two stays at 10mb/sec.
            While searching for a solution I seen many people having that issue with this switch. Hence me wondering if there is better stuff out there.
            I rescued a ToughSwitch a few months ago and promptly scrapped it as I was unhappy with its performance (I wanted a physically small PoE switch to replace the 24 port switch that I keep as a spare for testing)

Comment

plugging a telephone into a network jack would be interesting - they arent the same connector.
              having said that, a telephone line idles off-hook at upto 48vac and ringing pulses are 90v.
              so dont concern yourself with the fone.

Comment

Yes, I've seen a RJ11 phone jack wedged in the middle or a RJ45 socket. It does work.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  plugging a telephone into a network jack would be interesting - they arent the same connector.
                  having said that, a telephone line idles off-hook at upto 48vac and ringing pulses are 90v.
                  The standard goes out of its way to ensure the PSE is talking to a genuine PD and not something like a phone whose 4P4C has been jammed into an 8P8C. Here, I've color-coded the 8P8C's to highlight the fact that they are not phone connections; the phone connection is located immediately below each network connection (so you don't need great eyesight to realize there are two different connectors present on the same wallplate)

The PSE doesn't provide power until it recognizes the PD's "Detection Signature" as indicative of a true PD. And, if the optional "Classification request" is present, the PSE knows the maximum power that the PD will consume and can identify any faults (as well as budgeting the limited power available from the switch).

A phone -- or a PC that doesn't expect to find power coming in on its network connector! -- won't initiate the signature detection phase so the PSE will never supply power to that "drop" (cuz it's not behaving like a genuine PD!). So, no risk to the unknown device or to the PSE's output!

Hard to imagine they would put that much extra effort into the interface (instead of just putting power on some conductors like the pre 802.3af Cisco approach) if their knowledge didn't include scenarios that would result in damage or loss!

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                    Yes, I've seen a RJ11 phone jack wedged in the middle or a RJ45 socket. It does work.
                    "Keyed" connectors can, and are, mated incorrectly.

A colleague once trashed a (IDE) disk drive by putting the (4 pin) power connector in, upside down. I told him that I didn't think it was physically possible to do that given the keying. He reminded me that many such disk power connections are tough to mate (tight fit) so he assumed he just had an unnaturally tight one and persisted until he managed to get the connector inserted.

[For the youngsters out there, near vision goes to hell with age -- especially if you've had (inevitable) cataract surgery -- which typically restores distance vision and leaves you reliant on reading glasses for everything closer than 6 feet!]

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
                      "Keyed" connectors can, and are, mated incorrectly.
                      Someone had taken the time to wire the rj45 socket correctly for the phone line all the way to the network patch panel and then had the same coming out of the front to the wall phone socket. A most bizarre/lazy way of doing things and the only time I've seen it.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                        Someone had taken the time to wire the rj45 socket correctly for the phone line all the way to the network patch panel and then had the same coming out of the front to the wall phone socket. A most bizarre/lazy way of doing things and the only time I've seen it.
                        Yeah, I like connectors to tell me how they are wired without having to guess. Too many years doing telecom and looking at DB25's all the while wondering what signals were present on which pins (instead of letting connector sex simply and unambiguously speak to DCE vs. DTE)

APC's misuse of 8P8C as a "serial port" is annoying (ditto on some Cisco AP's) -- especially as some of those devices actually have network ports!

(Or, rewiring the DB9 "serial ports" to shut down the UPS if a standard serial cable is plugged into it)

Comment

Late here but you will be happy with a Cisco 3560G poe and can be had in eBay for $100-$200 depending on port size. It's not very compact but sure as hell reliable!

Comment

Just a reminder to make sure that the 3560G you purchase is a POE model. Not all 3560 series switches are PoE.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                              In the US (unlike the UK and possibly the rest of Europe?) we use the RJ11/Rj12 standard for phone connections. They will fit in an RJ45, and IIRC that's why on 10/100 the middle contacts aren't used (idea being that one could use both on one cable, obviously not a good idea in practice). They are 90V too.
                              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                In the US (unlike the UK and possibly the rest of Europe?) we use the RJ11/Rj12 standard for phone connections. They will fit in an RJ45, and IIRC that's why on 10/100 the middle contacts aren't used (idea being that one could use both on one cable, obviously not a good idea in practice). They are 90V too.

True that. I use all rj45 cable runs for phone or data. And patch down the correct pairs. Only the middle two pair for analog phones are uses tip and ring and keeps things flexible if you ever need to change one port to another.

Comment

Originally posted by mattch View Post
                                  True that. I use all rj45 cable runs for phone or data. And patch down the correct pairs. Only the middle two pair for analog phones are uses tip and ring and keeps things flexible if you ever need to change one port to another.
                                  Should I start a new thread for this question? Don't meant to hijack the ops post but I was hoping you could share the telephone stuff with me (or everyone one the forum.) You have your line in, let's say from a cable modem or Verizon.... You hook up cat 5 or something to that and just run it to port one of the patch panel or something? Soon here, I'm going to be running some lines to the rack and id rather run the telephone lines the same time I run the cat6 and coax lines.
                                  -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

Line in from a cable modem ? Is that a VOIP or PSTN line. What is it you're wanting to do ?

Comment

Our cable modem has an rj11 jack. We have a spare cat6 punch down tool. We're running rj45 for telephone. Just curious as to how you tie the incoming line into the patch panel. Do you just cut the end off the incoming line and punch it down or something? Do you run cat45 to one of them old school telephone junction boxes and tie in there? I'm assuming your not using VOiP or anything like that.
                                      -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

Do you get your phone out of the rj11 jack on the cable modem right now ?
                                        Usually your incoming line goes to a main socket and from there it would then go to other extensions.

Comment

Working...
                                        X