Bad caps=junked car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad caps=junked car

I am new here so be patient. I had a Mitsubishi Diamante wagon that had the caps fail in the computer. There was a place in Texas that attempted to fix it but the caps leaked and the board was junk. No fix. New computer was about $1200. I junked the car as it was not worth it. I was not happy.

Re: Bad caps=junked car

Leaking caps do dirty the circuit board but the residue can usually be cleaned with good scrubbing and powerful (but plastic safe) detergents. Unless the corrosion is really bad - but even then, some careful work with a soldering iron can repair most common damage.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

The company that tried to fix it said that the caps had corroded a hole in the board, and they could not repair it.

Comment

find a used one
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

I had that problem in my Jeep a few years ago. The company that tried to fix said the same thing. I paid for them to replace the computer, but took the old one home. I opened it up and cleaned and replaced all the caps. I then sent it back to them to test (couldn't just reinstall in Jeep at this point) and it tested fine. I was pissed and call the manager told him what happened and he bought the used board for 750 bux. I didnt' all my money back. But I bet that jerk won't try to rip me off again!

Comment

Hmm... I do recall recapping my car (mitsubishi) a while back due to a warning about capacitor failures in its ECU... It's a 1992 model car so I'm not sure if it was also part of the plague but very suspicious...

Comment

Still have the car?

I have a stack of 4g63 ECU's, if you tell me what year and engine your car had chances are pretty good that I have an ECU that will work in it.

If you already scrapped it - Too bad, because it could be fixed cheaply.

There's other methods too that cost less money than a "new" dealership ECU but become much more involved - megasquirt EMS is one of them.

Comment

yeah a silly thing to scrap a car over.
                a good junkyard will have a cross reference and can probably get one.or you find the same unit and swap in your prom/flash.

Comment

Working...
                X