X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gigabyte GA-7zx

you need to check that they are part of the VRM output circuit
    (with a MM )
    I am not exactly sure why the MB's were designed that way...maybe so they had the option to go either way or possibly more crap type caps in parallel was cheaper then buying high grade caps... at the time
    but it can help you fix something if you got the option open to you

BTW use only the same type in VRM do not mix and match with that circuit
    replace all if 1 or 2 are stuffed

The other thing is that VRM output caps should be low, very low ESR....type with good ripple specs

even GP in those positions may get it to fire but it wont last long cause those caps wont take the punishment that circuit delivers.

The Input Vrm caps can (and often are) a grade or 2 down but they still need to have good ripple and low ESR specs

Ideally replace I/P and O/P of VRM for best long term results

Anyway thats it as I understand it, may have a point wrong here or there
    so people, please correct me if you think I have

yes reset CMOS and set to safe mode conditions for evaluation is best for a little while

stating the obvious here but just in case your not aware...of some points

Anyway sounds like you got some work ahead of you Goodluck

Cheers
    You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

The entire board is nothing but ZL series now. Boots fine.

The processor is very tiny, so the abuse on the board should be minimal. It'll be a donation machine, another 'a year is probably good enough'.

Caps by the memory warm slightly, but still under 34C.

Comment

Oh - As for ripple, I have no doubts that the 1200uF ZL caps I put in there were better than the Choyo and GSC caps of the same (or lower) capacitance.

Comment

Originally posted by Bookworm
          I now have several thousand caps I got off of E-Bay, with another 5-8000 coming along shortly, so I guess I could replace everything with Rubycon ZL or JXA.
          Do you have a source for ZL other than eBay?

Comment

i would have used the 1800 mcz

Comment

Bgavin - only sort of. I spent some time going over them with a magnifying lens against ones I'd bought in the past, as well as going back and forth with TopCat, before I put any of them in.

They're Rubycon.

Kc8adu - they worked. I'm not going to complain. If that machine explodes, they still have spares. I gave them four complete PC's (monitor, keyboard, mouse, computer), and two extra computers. That's one of the 'extras'.

The _only_ reason I did it is that I had to have it in a machine this morning. I have the right values of caps coming in the mail by Tuesday - but I don't own a time machine.

Comment

great it worked out for you.
                btw the zl is likely a much better part than what came out.
                i try to stay as close as possible.the mcz would be the closest of your lot.
                like it matters much.the zl will likely still be good when that board is rotting in the landfill.

Comment

Working...
                X