Kenwood from the Good Will store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kenwood from the Good Will store

I have a giant Kenwood reciever that I bought non-working for $5 bucks at the local Good Will store. I don't remember the model as I have had it packed away for years. It would fire up on one channel only. One of the two giant cap in the amp had blown its guts out the top of the cap body. Can these old style caps still found in good working order? I'm going to get the old turkey out, and try a recaping her. I think she is a mid to late seventies model. I wonder if this old Kenwood will have a warmer sound than my Onkyo. I am driving a pair of old Polk Monitor 10 speakers. The Onkyo is a high current amp rated at 104 watts RMS per channel but it just doesn't have that much "ass." This Kenwood it about the same size as the old Pioneer SX 1250 reciever @ 100 watts RMS per channel. Cheers!
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
    Rod Serling

Re: Kenwood from the Good Will store

Can these old style caps still found in good working order?

Sure; I have an old amp, well over 30 years, all caps in it are fine. Only thing wrong with it is that the volume knob introduces allot of crackle when it is touched...

Also it for some odd reason did not have optical input so I've now retired it for the basement

Caps where Nippon Chemicon
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Re: Kenwood from the Good Will store

i get replacements at a local surplus store.
      midwest surplus in fairborn oh
      been sitting areound awhile so you should reform them first.
      by all means fix it up.
      looking at a sansui g 33000 here.
      recapping a marantz 140 as i type.

Comment

Working...
      X