Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Welcome to the Badcaps.net Tech Forum! > Frequently Asked Questions (No Posting)
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2005, 01:48 PM   #1
willawake
Super Modulator
 
willawake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
City & State: Αθήνα
Posts: 8,006
Default Comments on The Recapping FAQ

Here is a place for the comments to the Recapping FAQ

Last edited by willawake; 05-01-2005 at 07:41 AM..
willawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 06:45 PM   #2
Topcat
The Boss Stooge
 
Topcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 11,777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willawake

Solder Sucker / Soldapult (Standard Size)
This is the only part I find objectionable. I HIGHLY recommend NOT using mechanical solder suckers on motherboards! I've seen many people destroy their boards with them, typically when it recoils and impacts the board, knocking the traces off or sucking the lead port out of the PCB. If you don't have access to a pneumatic or vacuum solder sucker, use solder braid or a needle pick. The pick works best for me, I can clear a hole faster with the pick than one can with a pneumatic solder sucker.

VERY nice writeup!
__________________
<--- Badcaps.net Founder & Owner

Badcaps.net Services:

Premade Capacitor Kits
Badcaps.net Capacitor Master List


Motherboard Repair Services


If you've come here in search of replacement capacitors or repair services, please use the links above.
----------------------------------------------
Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
http://folding.stanford.edu/
Team : 49813
Join in!!
Team Stats
Topcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 06:33 AM   #3
willawake
Super Modulator
 
willawake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
City & State: Αθήνα
Posts: 8,006
Default

hmmm, i guess you are right, there is a concern. I did every board with the solder pump though and there was no probs. i am holding it flush against the board and the board is supported by the board holder. then I hit the switch which makes suction against the board and then quickly take the iron off the back of the board causing the solder to get sucked through. there is no impact against the board but maybe the pressure with the suction could damage a trace. Indeed the lead port could get sucked out.

Perhaps we can put all the methods with their pros/cons/dangers in the faq

isnt there also danger in damaging the lead port with the needle pick?

guess i have to splash out on a rework station someday.
__________________
capacitor lab yachtmati techmati
willawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 07:12 PM   #4
kc8adu
Super Moderator
 
kc8adu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
City & State: dayton ohio
My Country: U.S.A!
Line Voltage: 12vdc,120/240vac,480vac 3ph on my bench
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 8,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat
This is the only part I find objectionable. I HIGHLY recommend NOT using mechanical solder suckers on motherboards! I've seen many people destroy their boards with them, typically when it recoils and impacts the board, knocking the traces off or sucking the lead port out of the PCB. If you don't have access to a pneumatic or vacuum solder sucker, use solder braid or a needle pick. The pick works best for me, I can clear a hole faster with the pick than one can with a pneumatic solder sucker.

VERY nice writeup!
agreed on both counts.
btw i had to rework a board from a mitek edm where a previous tech had used a soldapult.
had a short on +5 he couldnt find.
turned out to be a crumb of solder lodged between 2 pins of an ic.
there are some things a soldapult is ok for.for everything else theres ungar,weller,hakko,ect.
kc8adu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 03:04 AM   #5
willawake
Super Modulator
 
willawake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
City & State: Αθήνα
Posts: 8,006
Default

ok agreed. For the people on low budgets, is a desoldering bulb the best choice then?

TC : i need to edit the "ghetto cap replacement tips" to remove reference to soldapults.
willawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 07:00 AM   #6
Topcat
The Boss Stooge
 
Topcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 11,777
Default

You should be able to edit the post. Let me know if you cant.
Topcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 04:34 PM   #7
willawake
Super Modulator
 
willawake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
City & State: Αθήνα
Posts: 8,006
Default

no can do. just throw it in the mods section and i will finish the recapping faq instead.
willawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 06:35 AM   #8
yanz
Badcaps Veteran
 
yanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
City & State: Dago, Bandung, Indonesia
Posts: 833
Default

i use tc "dental pic" method and it rocks! btw i use goot/taiyo solder iron... 40w is hot enough and i found no problem.
yanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:43 PM   #9
bgavin
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
City & State: Orangevale, CA
Posts: 1,354
Default Re: Comments on The Recapping FAQ

MCM offers a number of Tenma adjustable solder stations that are affordable to the hobbyist.

Could you experienced buys recommend what features are desireable for this level solder station? For example, I gathered that 60w + chisel tip are good. The Tenma stations are only 48w, and rated to 800F maximum.
bgavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:15 PM   #10
kc8adu
Super Moderator
 
kc8adu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
City & State: dayton ohio
My Country: U.S.A!
Line Voltage: 12vdc,120/240vac,480vac 3ph on my bench
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 8,255
Default Re: Comments on The Recapping FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgavin
MCM offers a number of Tenma adjustable solder stations that are affordable to the hobbyist.

Could you experienced buys recommend what features are desireable for this level solder station? For example, I gathered that 60w + chisel tip are good. The Tenma stations are only 48w, and rated to 800F maximum.
the bargraph and digital versions are decent.
i own one each.
the desoldering station is fragile and maintainence intensive.
my old(antique) ungar is 10x better.
kc8adu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:50 AM   #11
StigOE
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6
Default Re: Comments on The Recapping FAQ

Hi.

I'm a new member, but I have a comment about the temperature recommended for soldering the caps. I'd say 450C is way too high. When I had my soldering courses (first halves of the 90's), a rule of thumb were approx 150C above the melting point of the solder. Since normal 60/40 solder have a melting point of 177-183C, a good temperature would be about 350C. If you need as high as 450C, either you don't have a powerful enough soldering iron or a too small tip. With too high temperature it's a lot easier to damage the tracks due to disbonding. Too powerful soldering iron/too big tip/prolonged heating is no good either...

Stig
StigOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:17 AM   #12
Per Hansson
Super Moderator
 
Per Hansson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
City & State: ----
My Country: Sweden
Line Voltage: 230v 50Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 4,152
Default Re: Comments on The Recapping FAQ

I solder at 350C and desolder at 400-450C
Per Hansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:08 AM   #13
stavr0
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 18
Default Re: Comments on The Recapping FAQ

5.5. Remove the capacitor

Gravity is your friend: Resting the board upside down, I clamp the bad cap with a needle-nose plier with an elastic band around the handle. Heat up both leads alternatively every few seconds until it falls off under the weight of the pliers.
stavr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:16 AM   #14
severach
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
City & State: Michigan
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 982
Default Re: Comments on The Recapping FAQ

The cheapo solder stations don't have good heat recovery so they need to run at a high temperature to have enough heat to withstand the shock of cold parts. A good solder station can do the same work much better at a much lower temperature.

What I'd like to find is a needle nose with a curved jaw and a close spring. It would resemble some of the spark plug pullers and does not need to be strong. The jaw should be silicone tipped and thin enough that I can correctly position a cap in the middle of other caps underneath a wire bundle.
severach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #15
bobbyrae
Member
 
bobbyrae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
City & State: alameda, ca
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 24
Default Re: Comments on The Recapping FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigOE View Post
Hi.

I'm a new member, but I have a comment about the temperature recommended for soldering the caps. I'd say 450C is way too high. When I had my soldering courses (first halves of the 90's), a rule of thumb were approx 150C above the melting point of the solder. Since normal 60/40 solder have a melting point of 177-183C, a good temperature would be about 350C. If you need as high as 450C, either you don't have a powerful enough soldering iron or a too small tip. With too high temperature it's a lot easier to damage the tracks due to disbonding. Too powerful soldering iron/too big tip/prolonged heating is no good either...

Stig

I have to agree with this. I have a Hakko Soldering station that got out of calibration for a while. I was recapping an old stereo system and I burned up a couple of pads before I realized what was going on. It had to be up around 400 degC. Of course I haven't dealt with computer motherboards yet, but I just can't see setting the temp that high because I have been able to desolder everything fine at lower temps.
bobbyrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:40 AM   #16
ratdude747
Black Sheep
 
ratdude747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
City & State: Madison, IN
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 15,698
Default Re: Comments on The Recapping FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyrae View Post

I have to agree with this. I have a Hakko Soldering station that got out of calibration for a while. I was recapping an old stereo system and I burned up a couple of pads before I realized what was going on. It had to be up around 400 degC. Of course I haven't dealt with computer motherboards yet, but I just can't see setting the temp that high because I have been able to desolder everything fine at lower temps.
It's because motherboards often have large traces... like ground planes. and multiple layers of traces. they act as heatsinks, sucking away the heat put out by your iron. So yes, you do need to set it that high.
__________________


(Insert witty quote here)
ratdude747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #17
budm
Badcaps Veteran
 
budm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
City & State: S.F. Bay area
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120V 60Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 34,071
Default Re: Comments on The Recapping FAQ

Wattage is also important, to work on mother board, you will need 60 watts, you can have two soldering irons that can have the same temp, the lower wattage one will will lose it temp quickly when makes contact with the object you are trying to solder.
__________________
Never stop learning
Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809
budm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Badcaps.net Technical Forums 2003 - 2018
Powered by vBulletin ®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:54 PM.

Did you find this forum helpful?