Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSU fan replacement

Hi

is it easy to replace a noisy fan in a PSU? are they plug in ones like on a mobo? or soldered in place?

im due to rip my PSU open as i have NEVER cleaned the inside and i think its worth a go..

DFI Lanparty NF2 Ultra B
    TICTAC 619XT Bios
    AMD Athlon XP-M 2600+ FQQ4C IDYHA I-Stepping
    Speeze Vulture spin 3 Heatsink and Fan
    2x Mushkin XP4000 1024m DDR500 (1:1) @ 2.5-3-2-8 1T
    GeForce FX 5700 256m
    Zalman VF900 CU GPU cooler
    Skyhawk 400W Aluminium psu
    Sharkoon Silent Eagle 1000 case fans

Re: PSU fan replacement

It all depends on the specific model.

Many power supplies (particularly the cheaper ones) solder the fan connections onto the PCB.

Some power supplies feature a standard fan connector which makes things nice and easy.

I have also seen a case where there is a standard fan connector, however the power supply manufacturer swapped the positive and neutral wire on both the fan and on the connector. Essentially if you try a straight swap of fans, the new fan won't spin.

Comment

its easy to snip the wires and connect new but if the fan circuit is temperature controlled then must be careful about operating voltage range of new fan. if circuit lower voltage and fan does not work then that is bad
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Is your PSU fan noisy because of dirt/dust? If that's so, then just open and clean the PSU and the fan (compressed air and/or soft paintbrush both work). Also, oil is bound to make any fan happy, even cheap ones (I've had Deer fans run for years like that as case fans without a problem). The key idea here is to take off the sticker from the back of the fan, remove the rubber plug (if there is one) then remove the locking washer on the rotor shaft and then remove the fan rotor shaft (blades assembly). Finally clean the fan rotor shaft and put a bit of oil on it (as well as on the bearings/sleeves), then put everything back together and it should be as good as new.
        If you don't have oil though, do not use WD40 or grease! You'll also need a set of small scredrivers for this job, but it shouldn't be too hard to do.
        Last edited by momaka; 01-04-2009, 11:45 PM.

Comment

I used to replace fans with a replacement 802x25 type. Then I found out about power supply caps and their issues, so I only replace PSUs now. If it is older than 3 years, it gets replaced. The exception is a non-standard PSU (some Dell) that are expensive/difficult to obtain.

I use electrician's wire nuts to splice the wires. Fast, safe, effective.

Comment

thanks for replys

u can actually take the blade rotor off the spindle on a fan?

i was thinking of using GT-85 as it has teflon in it... not as harsh as wd40.. what u reckon?

DFI Lanparty NF2 Ultra B
            TICTAC 619XT Bios
            GeForce FX 5700 256m

Comment

>> u can actually take the blade rotor off the spindle on a fan? <<
              Not likely without destroying it.
              Not likely they will be swappable even if you get them apart.
              Mann-Made Global Warming.
              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

WD40 is not what you should be using BTW.
                It is too light of an oil and has solvents that melt some plastics.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

I used to take fans apart to lube them. Hoppe's gun lube works great. Usually there's a sticker, and maybe a rubber plug. Then there will be a small plastic retainer. Carefully remove the plastic retainer, and the center blade part should pull off the housing. You can now clean and relube.

I actually prefer the fans that are soldered on the board. All I do is remove the PCB and solder on a new one. Beats trying to splice the wires to a plug, where I solder the wires together and use heatshrink tube for insulation.

I also try to make sure the replacement fan moves at least as much air as the original. A good stout fan in a PSU is never a bad thing, maybe except for the noise.

Edit: Trust me, this stuff works great on fans:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=126157
                  A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

Originally posted by gustie
                    i was thinking of using GT-85 as it has teflon in it... not as harsh as wd40.. what u reckon?
                    I did a quick Google search, and from what I read, GT-95 is more of a cleaner than a lubricant. With that said, it probably won't work well.
                    But as bgavin said, only repair/replace the fan if the power supply if it's of a worthy brand (with good/ok caps).
                    Here's what - why not open the PSU, take a picture of it and then upload it here? That way we can tell you if it really is worth repairing/replacing the fan .

Comment

Originally posted by momaka
                      I did a quick Google search, and from what I read, GT-95 is more of a cleaner than a lubricant. With that said, it probably won't work well.
                      But as bgavin said, only repair/replace the fan if the power supply if it's of a worthy brand (with good/ok caps).
                      Here's what - why not open the PSU, take a picture of it and then upload it here? That way we can tell you if it really is worth repairing/replacing the fan .
                      i use GT-85 on my mountain bike chain - pretty damn good even when gritty

ok ill photo the innards when i strip that PSU

cheers

DFI Lanparty NF2 Ultra B
                      TICTAC 619XT Bios
                      GeForce FX 5700 256m

Comment

I apply by way of a a dripper bottle with a very small hole or an eye dropper.
                        If too much gets in soak it out with the corner of a piece of paper towel.
                        I use either automatic transmission fluid or actual fan bearing oil.
                        The additives are close enough and heat isn't a problem for those oils.
                        Can get fan bearing oil already in a dripper bottle at Home Depot or Lowes but you'll need to reduce the hole size or the tip or you'll drown a PC fan.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

I just use a small screwdriver and dip it into the oil, then rub it against the shaft. I repeat the same procedure for the bearings/sleeves... 3-5 times with multiple dips .
                          Also, I don't think oil is conductive so if you do drown the fan, noting will short and it won't be a bid deal. A big mess - likely.

Comment

Some oils are conductive, others aren't.
                            Depends on the kind of oil and the additives in it.

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

Screwdriver drip method works too.
                              Sometimes I do that with a tooth-pick.

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

Working...
                              X