Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MacBook Pro A1278 USB Issues

Hi,
    I have a Macbook Pro 13" A1278 early 2011 i5 in perfect condition I picked up from eBay for a steal.
    The only issue, and the reason it was listed for parts, is that both USB ports on the board don't work. The seller claimed they didn't know what caused the issue, but said it could have been water damage or a OS X update.
    I did the usual, Apple suggested fix, reset SMC, PRAM, OSX reinstall etc.

What happens is, I plug a USB device in, it will light up for half a second and go dark permanently, they work on other computers. They are never recognized by the macbook.

I looked inside and noticed what seems to be the problem.
    An SMD component on the board is missing and I can't tell what type of part it is because it is gone. There is a "brother" part beside it (pictured below) that looks VERY similar, in size, form, and relative position.

First pic shows what i think is equivalent brother part, second shows the 4 points where the old one was, third shows bother parts and their seemingly equivalent nature.

Can anyone identify this part, and maybe give any tips on buying and replacing it? I am very skilled with an iron and computers in general, but I never do SMD.

I don't know if it is a cap or resistor so I am afraid to have at it with my multimeter probes. Any tips?

Thanks, to anyone who responds!
    Brian
    Attached Files

Re: MacBook Pro A1278 USB Issues

Can you provide the board number? It is usually on the edge of the board, often near the cutout for the fan. It will be a number like 820-3115 or 820-2879 or something similar. If you can provide that number, I can tell you exactly what part it is and what the specs are. It is definitely a choke and is likely available for a few cents on Mouser once you know the specs.

Comment

Re: MacBook Pro A1278 USB Issues

Hi, and thank you for offering your help!
      The part number off the motherboard is 820-2936-B
      If there is any other info you need please let me know.
      I am very excited for a response.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X