Linksys WPS54G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linksys WPS54G

Picked up a Linksys WPS54G for $5 today.

The pro's:

-Inside, all but one of the caps are sanyo. One is a small teapo.
    -They actually used a heatsink for once... Inside the construction looked good.

The neutral:

- The box says it was a refurb. Since it was a thrift store find, who gives crap?

The piss poor:

-It gets pretty hot. Now I see why they added a heatsink.
    -To set it up, according to Linkshit*, you are FORCED* to use thier BS windoze only (AFAIK) setup utility... why no web based setup that any OS can use*? Poor OS compatibility and/or bullshitware is one of my biggest computer pet peeves. And you wonder why I dd-wrt all my routers...

*- halfway through the utility I found the IP address and there is indeed a web based utility... why couldn't they have made that more obvious? It wasn't in the manual... AssHoles!

I wonder if I can ddwrt the mofo... Probably not though...
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Did they at give you a default username and password for the web-based setup? Cisco/Linksys didn't give me the default password for my router, so I have to use the stupid setup software.

Comment

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by lti View Post
      Did they at give you a default username and password for the web-based setup? Cisco/Linksys didn't give me the default password for my router, so I have to use the stupid setup software.
      Nope... But FYI, for anything Linkshit or cis-crap, The default username and password is "admin".

To use the device, you have to have a way to surf the DHCP or IP adresses on your network to find what address your router assigned to it. In my case, since I DD-WRT'd my router, it was an easy find (the DHCP leases are shown on the main status screen, mine happened to be 192.168.1.122 .

I am not sure what it defaults to on a fixed IP system; to force that, I'd use a crossover cable or a wired switch to connect to it.

Next, once in the web-utility, I reset the password (no place to change the username, assholes!) and setup my wireless (I use WPA2 and AES, my router doesn't liek doing both dualband and TKIP).

Once I confirmed that it worked wirelessly (unplug the ethernet and go back to the web utility), I added a printer name, just to be safe (use port "USB 1"). Do not do anything with the mail server BS.

I next set the IP address to a fixed value. In my case, my router only sets DHCP adresses 192.168.1.1xx and IIRC 1.2xx; 1.0xx is reserved for fixed (or reserved DHCP) IP's. My fixed starts at 1.6, and I also had 1.7 used up (both DD-WRT wrt54g(s)'s set to client bridge), so 1.8 was the natural choice. Once I confirmed the new IP address as working, I stuck a piece of masking tape on the server and wrote on it the IP address (as I did on the client bridges).

After that, I used the usual windows way to add IP printers (local printer -> add port -> IP -> give IP address-> etc.). When it asked about the adpter model, I selected the custom option (not the model list) and used the default settings.

From there, it went the same as any printer... printed a test page just fine.

All of that 100% OS independent (assuming your printer is compatible). No driver or BS utilities. Suck it, Linkshit!

(yeah, I know this belongs in the networking forum, I may move the posts). EDIT- I moved it from cheap/free scores.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
      X