Hanns-G HG281D 28" TFT - Multiple Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hanns-G HG281D 28" TFT - Multiple Problems

In my experience a white screen appears when I forget to connect the signal cable. It connects the logic board to the lcd board. If it happened after opening the device it is more likely. Check those connections again. Report back.

Comment

Originally posted by ehren View Post
      In my experience a white screen appears when I forget to connect the signal cable. It connects the logic board to the lcd board. If it happened after opening the device it is more likely. Check those connections again. Report back.
      Geniuses, All of you! TY!

I got image back by doing exactly as you peeps advised..

Now Its still acting up but now it shows bright spots over dark colors..

Ill try to post a pic when it really shows..

TY for the help.

Comment

I bought another hg281d and again replaced the caps on the logic board. It fixed it. The monitor had different symptoms though. This one wouldn't stay synced up. It would show an image through the hdmi port for a sec then go black with the backlight on and the osd say there is no signal. Then vga port acted different. Displayed image fine for a duplicate display, but wouldn't display at all for only disp or extended display. This one was made in 2009, the other was made in 2007. The symptoms were different, boards were different and caps different, but the problem was the caps on the logic board in both cases. May not have been all of them, but they are cheap enough to replace them all. I am not implying this is the only problem that may come up so check other possibilities before ordering caps. BTW, I have 2 now side by side. Should I go for another?

Comment

Originally posted by ehren View Post
          Should I go for another?
          Personally, I would only buy a "broken" monitor if it were $10 or less depending on the size and brand.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

If you can get it cheap enough, then it's worth the gamble. Just understand that a lot of folks think that it's only a cap issue and $10 worth of caps will solve the problem. If you have read the threads here on a regular basis, then you see problems such as bad/broken ccfl's, transformers, logic cards, etc. You can imagine the cost/time to replace a ccfl on a 28" monitor. Not to mention that some parts are simply not available. However, if it winds up that you can't fix it, then you can always part it out and sell the parts on eBay to recoup some of your money. And if you do fix it, then it's money in your pocket.

Comment

I always buy carefully when it comes to broken monitors. I have bought and fixed and sold dozens of monitors and I have only been shafted twice. One of those I didn't even pay for. You are right jet, and I would not recommend for anyone to so this without the proper experience and tools to handle the problems that may come up. I do this because I enjoy it, although it does bring some income. Not much, just some to fill in. This hobby pays me. If only my other, more expensive hobby did too...

Comment

I would like to thank all of the contributors in this thread. I am a new member and I know that there are thousands out there suffering with the Hanns G. I have been repairing electronics most of my life and hope to contribute here in this forum. Looks like it's time to go pick up some new caps and get to work.

Comment

just found this forum with the aid of google

Had problems for a few months with my HG281D
                  Like Teddyv (post #73)
                  "I also starts up when I turn it on and takes a while for the image to show up, Although the image shows up well it starts to flicker from the bottom part of the monitor and then vertical lines appear to shimmer and dissapear". although mine seems to shimmer constantly and flicks on and off all day lol

Not had the case open yet as i am trying (without hope of success) to get HannsG to cover it under the warranty and it seems no shop in Reykjavik will touch it. Some great advice on the thread and i will use this info to aid seeking a genius to actually do the fixing.

Comment

New user here. Just wanted to thank everyone for their excellent advice. I recapped my power supply and now have a "more working" monitor. :-) I still have lots of screen noise and it will sometimes go dark, so it looks like I'll need to recap the logic board. Wish me luck!

Comment

I would wish you luck... but based on the last PM I received from you, you've already had 100% luck and have fully repaired your HG281D! Very nice!! Congratz!

Glad to have been of help,
                      SK
                      Last edited by stevekasian; 07-08-2011, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Good luck slowcorrado!!

Comment

Good luck slowcorrado!!

Comment

Hi all,

I have read all comments with much interest. Thank you for sharing.

I am facing the same problem as many of you. When I connect the HDMI cable between my laptop and HG281D screen I get screen blanks (with VGA no screen blanks, but some flickering especially with white backgrounds). After a while the blanks disappear and everything appears to be working just fine. Every time I close down and restart, I get the same issue. From the comments on the forum I concluded that it is the logic board (although I am not sure, could also be the power supply). I checked the capacitors visually to see if any of them is bulging out. This appears not to be the case. My question is now: Which capacitor(s) do I have to replace to get my screen not to blank at startup and after?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards, Bart.

Comment

It could be a number of problems causing this - as you say caps could be one and it could be the power supply the main board or both. It could also be the voltage regulators.
                              First thing perhaps would be to remove and reseat any connectors especially if their is a flat one to the panel which might need a clean.
                              Have you tried a different hdmi cable..
                              Have you tried it with a different pc.
                              As it says these run on the hot side so even if caps have no visible damage they could
                              still be dried out. As it is a 28 inch screen has to be worth investing in good new
                              caps. Start with the power supply and if no improvement test the voltage regulators
                              then re cap the main board. If you didnt want to do all the caps on the main board I would start with the ones near to the voltage regulator.
                              Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                                It could be a number of problems causing this - as you say caps could be one and it could be the power supply the main board or both. It could also be the voltage regulators.
                                First thing perhaps would be to remove and reseat any connectors especially if their is a flat one to the panel which might need a clean.
                                Have you tried a different hdmi cable..
                                Have you tried it with a different pc.
                                As it says these run on the hot side so even if caps have no visible damage they could
                                still be dried out. As it is a 28 inch screen has to be worth investing in good new
                                caps. Start with the power supply and if no improvement test the voltage regulators
                                then re cap the main board. If you didnt want to do all the caps on the main board I would start with the ones near to the voltage regulator.
                                Thanks for the advice. I will try your suggestions.

Regards, Bart.

Comment

I registered to say a huge thank you to everyone in this thread but to Mikeley in particular.

I had the problem where I couldn't restart my Hanns-G and was convinced that it was gone for good but decided to look on the internet just in case and came across this thread.
                                  As I haven't got the skill or equipment to fix the capacitors mentioned I was relieved to see Mikeley's suggestion of warming them. Nervous about opening the case I removed the stand and rested the monitor against the radiator and after about a half hour, to my delight, it came back on.

So thank you so much for the advice, you have saved me buying a new monitor which at this time I could barely afford.

Kind regards,

Neil.

Comment

The fix will not be permanent! You will need to replace the capacitors soon, as you will only get maybe a month or so out of it with this technique.
                                    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I understand, what if I leave it on and just let it power down when I turn off the computer, will it last any longer?
                                      Also how difficult is it to change the capacitors, I could possibly borrow a soldering iron and there is a Maplin store close where I could get them.
                                      At least it's working now, any more use is a bonus until I get some spare cash in.

Comment

Changing caps is pretty easy, just do them one at a time and make sure you get the polarity right. Also look up basic soldering techniques.

Comment

Thanks, I'll do that
                                          Also i forgot to ask, what caps should I get and how many are there, I can't find it mentioned in the thread?

Comment

Working...
                                          X