Ram DDR3 to DDR3L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ram DDR3 to DDR3L

I have a lot of asus motherboard with ddr3l ram onboard and various ram stick ddr3 1.5v .
    I think there should be no problem in replacing the ddr3 chips with the ddr3l ones.
    What function does the chip have that I see welded on the dual rank ram?
    For example 34ch1b2dz

Re: Ram DDR3 to DDR3L

there is an easier way:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NbjZcJi_cA

Comment

Originally posted by khaahk View Post
      very interesting but I have a doubt, I have searched a relatively new memory chip datasheet as h5tq2g83bfr and the voltage is 1.5V +-0.075v , if I understand well the guy in the video reprograms the memory so that the ram is recognized even by the systems that use the 1.35V so the chip receives a wrong voltage ?
      Many systems that should use 1.35V RAM also work at 1.5V, such as the asus N550JV, but anyway out of specifications and the chip that generates the voltage for the ram could be damaged, infact this notebook with ddr3 instead ddr3l don't work with 16G (2x8G), not enought power.
      My idea is to use 1.5v ddr3 sticks for example from 1G and take them to ddr3L 4G or 8G respecting the number of chips and rank and reprogramming the memory anyway.
      Thanks for the information as I didn't realize that the little chip on the ram was a memory.
      Last edited by jasko_jacker; 12-09-2019, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jasko_jacker View Post
        very interesting but I have a doubt, I have searched a relatively new memory chip datasheet as h5tq2g83bfr and the voltage is 1.5V +-0.075v , if I understand well the guy in the video reprograms the memory so that the ram is recognized even by the systems that use the 1.35V so the chip receives a wrong voltage ?
        Many systems that should use 1.35V RAM also work at 1.5V, such as the asus N550JV, but anyway out of specifications and the chip that generates the voltage for the ram could be damaged, infact this notebook with ddr3 instead ddr3l don't work with 16G (2x8G), not enought power.
        My idea is to use 1.5v ddr3 sticks for example from 1G and take them to ddr3L 4G or 8G respecting the number of chips and rank and reprogramming the memory anyway.
        Thanks for the information as I didn't realize that the little chip on the ram was a memory.
        DDR3 chips wont work in a DDR3L system.
        You could raise the ddr voltage to 1.5v on the board. That could theoretically work.

Quote from ifixit:
        DDR3L is a dual voltage capable memory DIMM, which supports operation at both 1.5V and 1.35V. DDR3L is also pin-compatible with DDR3. DDR3 is a single voltage capable memory DIMM, which supports 1.5V operation only. So in this case the RAM will be running at 1.5 volts as your system does not offer a low voltage option.
        Last edited by KvnTM; 12-09-2019, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KvnTM View Post
          DDR3 chips wont work in a DDR3L system.
          You could raise the ddr voltage to 1.5v on the board. That could theoretically work.

Quote from ifixit:
          DDR3L is a dual voltage capable memory DIMM, which supports operation at both 1.5V and 1.35V. DDR3L is also pin-compatible with DDR3. DDR3 is a single voltage capable memory DIMM, which supports 1.5V operation only. So in this case the RAM will be running at 1.5 volts as your system does not offer a low voltage option.
          Yes, I know, but I have an asus N550JV in front of me that works with both types of ram, the motherboard is N550JV rev 2.1 PCH SR17E , from asus and other websites I read should only work with DDR3L.
          By error I put two 4G DDR3s and only then did I realize they had to be DDR3L or is there a documentation error but on the asus site the model is older than mine because it has the gtx 750M.
          In a post I read that a person could not understand why it did not work with 16G then he realized he had put the wrong ram.
          I don't want to doubt what everyone knows I'm reporting my personal experience, there must be an explanation
          In relation to the video, changing the memory, how does the guy manage to use 1.5 V chips instead of the 1.35 V ones?
          Last edited by jasko_jacker; 12-09-2019, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Yes, I know, but I have an asus N550JV in front of me that works with both types of ram, the motherboard is N550JV rev 2.1 PCH SR17E , from asus and other websites I read should only work with DDR3L.
            By error I put two 4G DDR3s and only then did I realize they had to be DDR3L or is there a documentation error but on the asus site the model is older than mine because it has the gtx 750M.
            In a post I read that a person could not understand why it did not work with 16G then he realized he had put the wrong ram.
            I don't want to doubt what everyone knows I'm reporting my personal experience, there must be an explanation
            In relation to the video, changing the memory, how does the guy manage to use 1.5 V chips instead of the 1.35 V ones?
            Alright. I got this wrong

I actually think he altered the specifications of that memory stick in a way that it „shows up“ as DDR3L Memory. Maybe the chips do work outside of their specifications and you may or may not get lucky. I wont trust it though..
            I‘ll try to set my memory voltage to 1.35V at my desktop pc tomorrow. If it works you then got your answer

Comment

i think bios needs to be modified to switchover from ddr to ddr3-L. Not sure though but feel this could be the reason.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
                i think bios needs to be modified to switchover from ddr to ddr3-L. Not sure though but feel this could be the reason.

In some cases yes, when I did the bios mod of an asus g75vw in the hidden menus there was the possibility to choose the type of memories. however I don't understand how we can change the voltage of the dc / dc step down via the bios.

Comment

Clearly the chips are working out of range of the intended specs. But mostly it works in practice and is easy.
                  If you start changing ram chips you might run into problems with different termination resistors etc. Seems like a lot of work. But interesting to see what the result is.

Comment

Working...
                  X