Suggestions for newcomer to Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for newcomer to Linux

I am a total newbie when it comes to Linux. Since I am going to be installing Vmware on my desktop soon, I am wondering which distributions of Linux would be the best for me.

I have already used a little bit of Ubuntu, and I am planning on installing Linux Mint as well.

Any not well known distributions that people suggest?

Thanks for the help!

Re: Suggestions for newcomer to Linux

Well, I was going to recommend Linux Mint 11. If you're going to running any sort of servers, I would recommend CentOS, or (almost as good and awesome because it's CLI only), Ubuntu Server. But since I doubt you're going to running servers on a Vmware emulated PC, stick with Linux Mint

Comment

What distribution is best can only be answered truly by you. We all have very different opinion on how things supposed to work and what kind of look and feel we feel best with. That said however i can give my take on it, which of course might not be at all what you like.

For desktop use i would say Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Lubuntu/Xubuntu,Mint simply due to the fact they have the bigger user base and if you hit a snag you're likely to find help easy enough in their forum. Might not be the best speed wise from what ive seen lately.

Arch is becoming somewhat of a favorite of mine, can be a bit more tricky to do things at times as its not quite as "automatic" as the *buntu ones, but in return it at least feels faster and more stable.

For servers i mostly go for debian, they are quite fast at patching security things if you go for a stable build.

The best way to find out what you like is simply to install them, preferably in a VM or if you have a spare machine and try for yourself what you like.

Comment

I reccomend linux mint to newbies... I use fedora 15, but my needs are different than yours.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I've never used Fedora. I might check it out, that's the 2nd recommendation I've gotten in a week. Does it have a nice interface?

Comment

Thanks for all of the suggestions. So far, I know that Linux will not be replacing my Windows needs, but I do want to know how to use all of the major OS (ie, Windows, Mac, and Linux). I know about Wine, and how it can run windows programs.

Comment

I haven't tried it yet, but I've been reading a bit about Zorin, a new Ubuntu spin off. Their main focus is to mimic the different Windows interface versions + OS-X. That might be useful for users migrating from those environments.
              ------------
              Be a mensch

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                I've never used Fedora. I might check it out, that's the 2nd recommendation I've gotten in a week. Does it have a nice interface?
                if you are willing to learn and have decent graphics, yes. it is called gnome 3.0 aka gnome shell. It is very different than anything you have used before. i personally love it but if your graphics are older, then the fallback mode is all you can get and is lame.

It sounds like you have a newer computer so you might want to read up on gnome shell and give fedora 15 a test drive via live cd.

Originally posted by sofTest View Post
                I haven't tried it yet, but I've been reading a bit about Zorin, a new Ubuntu spin off. Their main focus is to mimic the different Windows interface versions + OS-X. That might be useful for users migrating from those environments.
                for windows clones they make something kalled kde, found in kubuntu. it is very klose to windows vista and 7 interface wise.

I never was a big fan of the windows interface...
                Last edited by ratdude747; 08-23-2011, 03:25 PM.
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I find KDE to be very slow and bloated. Zorin looks awesome though I'm going to see if it works well on my old laptop (ThinkPad X31).

Comment

I also run Fedora.....in fact, Fedora 10. Runs OK so just haven't bothered to upgrade.
                    Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                      I find KDE to be very slow and bloated. Zorin looks awesome though I'm going to see if it works well on my old laptop (ThinkPad X31).
                      The new KDE is supposed to be a breath of fresh air. We'll know when/if the next Kubuntu distro incorporates it,

It's true, Gnome is a lot more well put together and polished than KDE, but I still prefer KDE because I can make it look like Windows.
                      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                        if you are willing to learn and have decent graphics, yes. it is called gnome 3.0 aka gnome shell. It is very different than anything you have used before. i personally love it but if your graphics are older, then the fallback mode is all you can get and is lame.

It sounds like you have a newer computer so you might want to read up on gnome shell and give fedora 15 a test drive via live cd.

for windows clones they make something kalled kde, found in kubuntu. it is very klose to windows vista and 7 interface wise.

I never was a big fan of the windows interface...
                        I know about KDE and have tested Kubuntu. I can't really see that as a Windows clone, and I think that's the only distribution I've really disliked. Gnome is fine, if one can tolerate the bloat that it has become. Privately, my currently only Linux box runs Lubuntu. I like my boxes lean and mean. I'm going to test Zorin, not for my own use, but possible recommendation for people used to only Windows. I've been running *nix on servers since the middle of the 90th, when the company I then worked for migrated from Digital VMS to Digital Unix. My first desktop Red Hat box was around 1998/-99, so I know my way around them. Come to OS I'm a pragmatist, selecting first by which applications I want to run, and second what gives me the the the best performance on given hardware (hence Lubuntu). Off course, it also has to by supported by regular security updates if it shall be networked.
                        ------------
                        Be a mensch

Comment

I decided to install Zorin mostly because i had not heard of this spinoff yet. I really like the fact that everything works out of the box. I have to admit I have not used linux Mint since it was basically first conceived and it was fairly stripped out and not very functional yet so i cannot give a proper comparison. I am not a beginner user but it's always fun to try something new so if you need another vote I would say try out Zorin

Comment

I'm a huge Centos fan, and use it for a variety of servers both at home, and at work.
                            For those who don't know, it's basically Red Hat Enterprise Linux, with the non-open source stuff removed, the RH branding removed, and no support from RH.

Fedora is basically the bleeding edge of the RedHat distros. Works fine, but if you want stable, and tested, Centos is your best bet. I live at runlevel 3, so can't really comment on how purty the gui is
                            36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Working...
                            X