Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SMD Ceramic Componet Identification and Voltage question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMD Ceramic Componet Identification and Voltage question.

Hello NewB here:
    Id like some help identifying some SMD parts for a Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen 2 or 3 Board.

The suspected Capacitors in question look like Ceramic Capacitors to me.
    However some of these parts have 2 different voltages on each end. One is the voltage of the charger 20V and the other is lower at 7V+ .
    Can a Cap work without being connected to ground?

To my novice understanding a cap should be connected to positive on one end and negative to another. The Cap without continuity to ground on either side has the two different voltages. Is this normal?

I think the other strange caps doesnt have a side going to ground but doesnt show a voltage at one end either.

Re: SMD Ceramic Componet Identification and Voltage question.

Capacitors can be used anywhere in a circuit. They are not only used for decoupling or smoothing (in which case one side would normally be grounded), but for timing, coupling etc.

Take a look at a random circuit diagram & you will find many capacitors not connected to ground.

Even polarised capacitors don't need one end connected to ground. As long as the +ve end is connected to a voltage higher than that on the -ve end, then it will operate correctly.

Invisible airwaves crackle with life
    Bright antennae bristle with the energy

Comment

Working...
    X