SMD cap concern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMD cap concern

I have a super Nintendo that I have opened up to inspect its caps and to see if there's any common trace damage cause by these.

Upon opening this console, C59 and C60 are the common caps to leak and damage traces underneath. Not sure if the photos show well enough but the C59 caps top is actually inverted as if something or somone has pushed on the top of it quiet hard (no signs of this tho). Is this another way of finding faulty caps? I haven't seen this as such before so thought id ask.

C59 is a bipolar smd cap 10uF 25V

C60 is just the normal smd cap 10Uf 50V

Edit just realised this maybe in the wrong section can mods move to the appropriate section please cheers
    Last edited by wrx884; 11-13-2015, 10:05 PM. Reason: wrong section

Re: SMD cap concern

These SMD units are a bit hard to measure, so I simply recommend replaacing them all (there are not all that many on the board).

I've also read that a number of the early SMD aluminium electrolytic capacitors can be problematic; the Sega Game Gear is known to have bad SMD aluminium electrolytic capacitors in the audio section.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
      These SMD units are a bit hard to measure, so I simply recommend replaacing them all (there are not all that many on the board).

I've also read that a number of the early SMD aluminium electrolytic capacitors can be problematic; the Sega Game Gear is known to have bad SMD aluminium electrolytic capacitors in the audio section.
      I will probably do that anyways but still would like to know if the visual inspection is showing a bad cap or not? since its not showing any leaking what so ever. I can easily remove it since no legs are broken yet and use the ESR meter on it.

your right these caps from around this era is prone to leaking on a number of consoles which is why I check them

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
        the Sega Game Gear is known to have bad SMD aluminium electrolytic capacitors in the audio section.
        as someone who has rebuilt over a dozen, i'll correct you on that, the audio section is about the only part that doesnt leak!
        you have to replace every damned electrolytic in them!

the fact that it contains an invertor and a CFL tube doesnt help!

Comment

well ive removed C59 and C60 and tested them with the ESR meter, don't know if results will differ being one is a bi polar cap or not?

C59 11.79uF, 2.9ohms, 1.4% Vloss
          C60 10.49 uF, 1.9Ohms, 0.8% Vloss

Mayb a bit off topic stj but I must disagree slightly ive seen a lot of the Audio PCBs on the game gears need recapping just not as much as the main board but the same issues pop up on them.

Comment

Working...
          X