X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epox diagrams

8RDA+

8K7A

I just looked at all my boards and made these diagrams by hand, so they should be accurate as to what caps the boards use. They have all been RMAed once for cap replacement by Epox, and are all having issues again. I have 5 8K7A's and 3 8RDA+'s and just ordered a bunch of caps from http://www.mouser.com
    Here are the part numbers I ordered:
    10v 2200uf 10mm 647-UHE1A222MPD
    6.3v 2200uf 10mm 647-UHE0J222MPD
    6.3v 1500uf 10mm 647-UPW0J152MPH
    6.3v 1000uf 8mm 647-UHE0J102MPD

I did not order any 3300uf ones because they only have it in 12.5mm and I don't think any of my current ones are buldging again. The 3300uf ones I have on the board now are Sanyo while most of the rest are GSC or some other junk brand.
    The 12.5mm part number is 647-UPW0J332MHH. It would probably work, you would just have to solder them at funny alternating angles to make all 6 fit in a row.

What's with the LED displays on the corner of those boards?! what are they for??
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Its a built-in post-code (port 80h card) thing. There is a list of codes in the Epox manuals that tells you exactly what is wrong if it does not reach FF when booting up. Much more useful then just the normal memory/video card beeps, but in reality, if something is really wrong with the board, and its not memory/video card or obvious buldging caps, what are you going to do about it anyways? I thought it was a really cool feature and it was originallya selling point to me, but I don't think I will be buying any more Epox boards regardless, since they are sure to come with more bad caps. Either Abit or Asus from now on for me!

Comment

Oh and if you are a good ASM programmer you can control the LED by writing to port 80 - most BIOSes write to port 80 when booting up regardless of the existance of a port 80 display. Just output a single byte to port 80 in ASM and it will show up on the LED

Comment

I just bought an Abit IC7 Maxx P4 motherboard for a system for a customer, they use genuine Rubycon caps now, so you shouldn't have any fears about Abit and bad caps. I only wish they rebuilt their RMA'd boards with the Rubycons, they still use the Jackcon and Teapos on their RMA fixes...

Ohh BTW, good find on those diagrams!
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

ARK42 - FIX ERROR in Epox Pic!

Ark42, Please fix the error in the pic of the 8RDA+!!!!!!! :evil:

Your pic shows six 1500ufd caps, but the board only has FIVE!

The 1500's are shown in olive color. Starting from the middle of the right side of the board and moving left, it's the second olive colored one. It looks smaller then the other 1500's. The reason for this is that it's NOT a 1500. It is a 1000ufd cap, and should be colored green.

The 8RDA+ has FIVE 1500ufd caps and NINE 1000ufd caps.
            Thank you...

Comment

One of my boards had a small 1500 8mm there, the other had a 1000 8mm there, so I guess 1000 is fine, but 1500 works too, so its not really an error.

Comment

I'm just frustrated that I just ordered the wrong number of caps (for two boards). I have never seen a 8mm 1500ufd cap. I do not think they exist.

Now, starting from the middle of the right side of the board and moving left, the first olive colored one is a short 6.3v 10mm 1500.
                It's shorter than the other four 6.5v 10mm 1500's. Weird...

Comment

Woops! Spoke to soon... I found some 8mm 1500uF caps http://www.computekinc.us/prod01.htm for 40 cents... actually they have great prices on caps...

Comment

thanks for those beautiful pics! also i need one for 8k3a(+) but maybe i can make it myself..
                    days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Re: Epox diagrams

Nice diagrams!

I have an 8K7A and an 8K7A+, both have the same caps, only difference with the diagrams, the 2200's on my boards are all 10V.

1. I assume the board only uses 6.3V, thus I can use only 6.3V caps (easier to find for 10mm).

2. The 1500's, are 10x15 mm, none of the supliers here has them. 1200's are available at 10x15. So I figure, if I use these (Panasonic EEUFC0J122) it will work to.

A lot of guessing of course, so answers much appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

1500/6.3/8mm are available in Panasonic FK and NCC KZG series - I guess that more recent series like FJ and FM will have them too.

Comment

Thanks for the pictures. I have four of those boards.

Comment

I checked the voltage on all caps, it's 5V. So I will go for 2200uF 6.3V.
                            For the 1500's, I will use 1200uF on those between the pci/agp slots and use higer 1500uF were ther is space enough.

Comment

On the 8K7A boards, the 2200uF caps aren't very sensitive to capacitance, so you can change their sizes a bit if you happen to have a different size handy. I've seen several of them with 1800uF 16V caps, and others with 3300uF 6.3V caps. All of those ran fine.

Comment

The part numbers on the Mouser site are for the Nichicon HE series. I read the data sheet, but did not find an ESR value. Impedance is listed at 0.031, but at this time I don't know the correlation between the two.

The HE series is priced higher than the Panasonic FM. I'm just curious as to where the HE falls in the quality range. I have (4) of these boards to recap.

Comment

On the 8K7A v1,1, there is a single 470uF/16v that is not mentioned.

From my reading on this forum, I thought 470 uF and larger should be replaced... ?

On my four boards, all 2200 uF are 10v type, none are 6.3v.

Comment

Originally posted by bgavin
                                    On my four boards, all 2200 uF are 10v type, none are 6.3v.
                                    Same here, I've seen several 8K7A+ v1.1 boards that still had the original GSC caps in them, and they've all been 10V caps. That's also consistent with the caps I've seen on some of their other boards. As far as I can tell I don't think Epox had 2200uF 6.3V caps at the time.

That said, good 6.3V caps will work fine as a replacement. I would guess they used 10V thinking that would protect them from the poor brand, or maybe it was to get better ESR without changing the capacitance.

Comment

Samxon offers the right caps in the correct sizes. The GA series for the larger, and the GC for 470uF cap.

I wanted to buy Rubycon, but cannot find a wholesaler (yet) for 100-count quantities. The usual suspects (Mouser, DigiKey, etc) don't carry the premium grade. I contacted Big Pope a few days ago, but have heard nothing yet from him.

Comment

Working...
                                      X