Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell e173FPf

Hi ALL,

I have a dell E173FPf, but the power LED is yellow, but screen is black; when connected to a laptop, the laptop recognizes the monitor model right away. I read ALL the "dell E173FPf" related posts, but I was unable to find a post with this specific issue. All caps "looks" good, but I read that even when caps might look OK they might be dry and wont work as they should. I was wondering if any of you recommends to replace ALL the caps with a "repair kit" available at eBay, for this specific model. Thanks in advance,

MGabriel74

Re: Dell e173FPf

If the Power Led is yellow then the Screen will be Black !! It will only come on when the Led switches to Green when it gets a signal from the Computer.If the Power Led goes to Green AND still no image on the screen then normally with this model the 2 Caps near to the Inverter transformers need to be changed.These 2 caps always look normal but are a regular cause of the fault.

Comment

RTech,

Thanks a lot for your prompt response and support.

That's the thing, the power led does not turn to GREEN when connected to the computer. however, the monitor "should" display a "floating" window message saying "No video signal" or something similar. I'll go ahead and replace those 2 caps (C6 & C26) that you recommend me and will update you all with the results.

Can somebody suggest me where I can buy these 2 caps??; at eBay there is a full set for this specific model, but I prefer to buy these 2 specific caps, rather than the full set, since it might not need them all.

Thanks again,

MGabriel74

Comment

While the set is apart we would normally suggest replacing at least all the middle size caps. Usually from badcaps.net digikey mouser or farnell.
        Cant suggest as you dont give the values v/uf.
        There have been a few bad experiences with kits off ebay and there seems to be some fakes about. If you just replace two then find you need more you double the postage -which can be more than the caps.
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

When initially switching the Monitor on, the Led should go to Green then switch back to Amber when no signal is detected,IF that does not happen then those caps are not to blame.Everything for this monitor is on one Board,so no separate PSU/Inverter or Logic Board.I have seen problems with the voltage regulators U801 and/or U802, which could be the problem,AND on two occasions where the Video part of the part only does not work.

Comment

Originally posted by Rtech View Post
            When initially switching the Monitor on, the Led should go to Green then switch back to Amber when no signal is detected,IF that does not happen then those caps are not to blame.Everything for this monitor is on one Board,so no separate PSU/Inverter or Logic Board.I have seen problems with the voltage regulators U801 and/or U802, which could be the problem,AND on two occasions where the Video part of the part only does not work.
            Rtech,

I just received the caps (C6 & C26), and will replace them soon; Can you please let me know the specs or part number of the voltage regulator (U801), just in case the caps are not the problem; THANKS ALL for your responses and support!

Comment

Can you not read the part numbers off yours? try cleaning them with a little isopropyl alcohol. U 850 can also be a problem and R852
              Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

Does the LED change from Amber and Green, as asked before ????????If you have any power at all then U850 cannot be faulty.

Comment

Does the LED change from Amber and Green, as asked before ????????If you have any power at all then U850 cannot be faulty.
                  Rtechm

I just re-connected all back, but the LED stays in AMBER color, no GREEN at all.No green when I connected to the power outlet.

How about the MOSFET? could that be the problem?

Thanks ALL again for your support...
                  Last edited by mgabriel74; 02-27-2013, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mgabriel74 View Post
                    Rtech,

I just received the caps (C6 & C26), and will replace them soon; Can you please let me know the specs or part number of the voltage regulator (U801), just in case the caps are not the problem; THANKS ALL for your responses and support!
                    Caps were replaced!. Without luck!

Comment

As advised,if no green led then no screen..the next step IF you do get the Amber light,is to test U801 and U802.Switch your multimeter to DC Volts,on range 20v if possible,and put the Black probe on the metal of the Blue VGA connector and with the red probe meausre the voltage on the two pins and the Tab of each Regulator,when the Amber led is on,and advise.

Comment

Rtech,

Voltage values are 5.00 Vdc (between the vga metal & the leg/pin of the left side) and 3.49 Vdc (between the vga metal & the leg/pin of the center), 0.0Vdc (between the vga metal & the leg/pin of the right side). This board just have U801. Please advise.

Comment

I think we have reached the point where we need to be able to see your boards

We can help a lot more if you please post good clear pictures of the whole chassis, and then pictures of each board, front and back (in the same orientation) and close up of connectors, (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) using the manage attachments button, which is found by clicking "go advanced" under quick reply.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

Examples of what is needed

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1280167246

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...6&d=1280167246

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...4&d=1280167246

Comment

Originally posted by mgabriel74 View Post
                            3.49 Vdc
                            If U801 is 3.3 fixed voltage regulator, then with a reading of 3.49, it is likely bad because it is out of spec (5.75% too high).
                            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                              If U801 is 3.3 fixed voltage regulator, then with a reading of 3.49, it is likely bad because it is out of spec (5.75% too high).

I re-measured (with a better voltmeter) and reading is 3.304 Vdc. So, I assume this component is not the problem either.

I read once that Q850 (a MOSFET??) is also a common component to get bad; What should be the expected values on that one??

Comment

Q850.is a Mosefet which drives the Board in association with U850 which is the smps chip...BUT as you have 5v on the board then this part of the circuit is fine...if it was not good then you would not get the 5v !!!.My board components are numbered the same as yours therefore moving up the Board from the VGA socket you should find U802,,this is the other Voltage regulator,that you say you cannot find !!

Comment

Q850.is a Mosefet which drives the Board in association with U850 which is the smps chip...BUT as you have 5v on the board then this part of the circuit is fine...if it was not good then you would not get the 5v !!!.My board components are numbered the same as yours therefore moving up the Board from the VGA socket you should find U802,,this is the other Voltage regulator,that you say you cannot find !!
                                  Sorry, my bad. I found and measured U802, and here are the values obtained:

0.000 Vdc (between the vga metal & the leg/pin labeled #1 on the board)
                                  1.804 Vdc (between the vga metal & the leg/pin located at the middle)
                                  3.304 Vdc (between the vga metal & the leg/pin labeled #3 on the board)

Please advise

Comment

Those look good,so based on what I have seen with these boards,I suspect you will need to replace the board completely.

Comment

What????.... Will you think that replacing ALL the caps "might" be a possibility?. If (based on your knowledge and what we have already done so far) you think that replacing ALL the caps will not solve the problem, please let me know; Once again, thanks a lot for all your support and time!!! Greatly appreciated!

Comment

Any pictures of the main/logic board?
                                        Never stop learning
                                        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Working...
                                        X