Ps4 slim Hdmi encoder keeps resetting itself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ps4 slim Hdmi encoder keeps resetting itself

Hello. I have a ps4 slim here that has and issue with the image coming uo on the screen for a split second, then black for a few seconds, ten back on for a split second. The hdmi plug is good, and I have replaced the encoder ic twice.

There is no obvious damage to board, it had never been opened, and the ps4 was never even moved by the client, so he wasn´t disconnecting and connecting different hdmi cables.

Using my oscilloscope I do not see any loss of voltages to the encoder ic, nor the 5v to hdmi hot plug detect. The only thing I could see is that the ic sends(or recieves) some digital signal on two lines going to hdmi (im guessing a handshake with tv) then it reboots itself and I see another "handshake".

This all happens like clock work, it takes the exact same time every time to reboot and show something on screen. And I have not found any voltages dropping near the ic.

I am guessing maybe an "enable pin" voltage drop, but I cant find any datasheet for these encoders. So I don´t know where to be looking. I have also found clock signal from southbridge, but that seems good.

Re: Ps4 slim Hdmi encoder keeps resetting itself

did you try a different tv or a different resolution setting?

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
      did you try a different tv or a different resolution setting?
      Yes, and yes. I rebooted into safe mode, and in between flashes, I was able to select change resolution, and tried 720 and 1080p. Neither work.

Comment

i would check related power supply to the ic

Comment

Originally posted by SistMaticZ View Post
          i would check related power supply to the ic
          I don´t know the exact location of it´s power supply. But I have checked the two or three capacitors near the ic, which indicate the power supply line, and neiter have any power drops on my oscilloscope. I wish I had a datasheet.

Comment

can you post some straight shot, high resolution pictures?

Comment

Originally posted by liquidzorch View Post
              I don´t know the exact location of it´s power supply. But I have checked the two or three capacitors near the ic, which indicate the power supply line, and neiter have any power drops on my oscilloscope. I wish I had a datasheet.
              you need to rule out those caps with a dissipation factor meter if those are electrolytics.

Also make sure to reflow or replace that hdmi signal ic . those are BGAs they need special soldering methods.

Comment

you need to rule out those caps with a dissipation factor meter if those are electrolytics.

Also make sure to reflow or replace that hdmi signal ic . those are BGAs they need special soldering methods.
                The caps are not electrolytic. And I have replaced the hdmi ic twice on this board. All three have had the same issue. I have replced them on tens of baords and never had an issue. So I can rule out it being the ic.

Comment

Okay .

Why did you conclude that it is a hdmi
                  encoder resetting problem.

GPU/APU or Vram can give this sort of display resetting problems not necessarly hdmi.
                  Last edited by SistMaticZ; 10-02-2019, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Okay .

Why did you conclude that it is a hdmi
                    encoder resetting problem.

GPU/APU or Vram can give this sort of display resetting problems not necessarly hdmi.
                    Thats what I was starting to think, a cgpu problem. I just wanted to be sure before discarding this repair or trying a cgpu reball. The weird thing is, is that there are no artifacts on screen or anything (during the second it has an image). And there is data flowing on the ddc lines, each time it

the image resets, which tells me the encoder is talking to the tv each time the image goes blank and restores. That´s why I thought it might be an encoder or communication issue.

Comment

Originally posted by liquidzorch View Post
                      Thats what I was starting to think, a cgpu problem. I just wanted to be sure before discarding this repair or trying a cgpu reball. The weird thing is, is that there are no artifacts on screen or anything (during the second it has an image). And there is data flowing on the ddc lines, each time it

the image resets, which tells me the encoder is talking to the tv each time the image goes blank and restores. That´s why I thought it might be an encoder or communication issue.
                      If it was an encoder issue there wont be any image encoded thus displayed in the on period.

Just try a reflow on the APU and Vram section. No need for risks with a full reball.

If these doesnt work then its a power supply issue in one of the sections.
                      Last edited by SistMaticZ; 10-04-2019, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X