Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte Aero 15 Nobacklight or Picture

Hi guys,
    I've got a gigabyte aero 15 and basically like the title suggested already it doesn't have picture or backlight, tried another screen and the result was the same, first it had picture but no backlight, but now there's nothing at all, I plugged it to my tv via HDMI and it actually worked. So I opened the laptop to check the capacitors and the 19v presence, I noticed one cap missing and a component that looks like a diode in bad state, following that there was a lot of capacitors shorted too (highlighted on the pic attached), where both side of the cap were showing continuity. Asked gigabyte for a motherboard replacement but they weren't too friendly, so I decided to ask someone here if could help me as I'm already desperated because that is a really good laptop to be thrown away.
    Thanks much appreciated.
    Attached Files

Re: Gigabyte Aero 15 Nobacklight or Picture

Those caps circled by you in the pic are perhaps not actually shorted. they are part of vcore and gpu core where low reistance is normal. Measure then in resistance mode and they should not show zero. As far as that missing cap you mentioned, are you sure that's a cap and not fuse?? Measure whether one of the pad of that missing cap is ground. If one of the pad is ground, its likely to be capacitor.

Comment

Hi there, thank for your quick reply, really appreciated, I did like you said and checked the resistance and you are absolutely right most of them weren't short, but there was some others that never passed from 0 (the ones highlighted) , about that missing component it is a capacitor, as you suggested one of the sides had ground connected to it. I also did some search and I could find the values of the caps too which I attached here too.

Thanks
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Will19931; 01-20-2020, 06:34 AM.

Comment

You said you got picture on hdmi-That says it all that those caps are not shorted. I'll suggest to put a 25V cap there to avoid any risk as no schematic is attached.However, that cap will perhaps not solve your issue.

Comment

I found another picture on internet showing the actually capacitor missing, then search about the capacitor and I found that, the one missing was in fact a 25v 15uf capacitor. About it actually work on HDMI, do you think it would output picture because it is using Intel's graphic that comes on the CPU instead of the Nvidia GPU one. Also is there any way to test the components that looks like a diode, the one I wrote 19v if it's actually working as it should, because that area looks a bit burnt.
          Thanks
          Attached Files

Comment

You can a picture on external but not internal due to graphics issue-faced that many times. Heat the gpu at 100-120 degree for a couple of seconds and try again. Dont heat too much to damage the chip. Use good quality flux while heating.

Comment

Thank you so much and I definitely do that, I heard before that due to overheat it could actually break the solder of the GPU, I'll let you know after the process, but first need to buy a hot air gun. I got some flux, Rosin Flux paste that contains colophony, not sure if it's any good for this task, but it was kinda ok when I was soldering.

Comment

Working...
              X