Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to modify a IMAX b6 battery tester version 2 to only monitor voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is there a way to modify a IMAX b6 battery tester version 2 to only monitor volta

Here is the results when it got done with charging the batteries
    Attached Files
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Re: Is there a way to modify a IMAX b6 battery tester version 2 to only monitor volta

The software has a few bugs in and especially when it has been running a long time some functions freeze and are unresponsive and one of them being going to full screen viewer is a little buggy to being with even when just viewing when restarting the computer

One other bug it has is if you want to discharge a single cell you set your current for one amp however if you have a four cell battery pack it limit you to 350 milliamperes which is crap I want one amp discharging current

This is just one more limitation of this charger that I have to get use to

The charging current is not limited to less than one amp and normally I do not use anything higher than this
      anyway I have tried to see what the limit is yet
      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 08-16-2021, 07:38 PM.
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

I bought a second SkyRc IMAX b6 version 2 with the latest firmware version which has the option to turn off the battery voltage on multiple cell which is a plus because the one that I have dose not have the latest firmware version which has a issue when you hook up with balancing port leads it made the charger lock up ( if you have been using it for single battery cell charging )
        I had power cycle it to recover from it

Just another bug it has in the older firmware

I have to use the new one that I just bought and see if work differently or not

The new one also has a better battery connection connector the two plugs are mold together and is tighter inside the connector

The older version I do not know if I will update the firmware or not I have see all of updates have been done make any difference or not
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 08-17-2021, 12:43 AM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Here are the results from the battery testing that was done on this battery pack

The conclusion about the use of this charger to monitor battery cell voltages is that it doable but the actual balancing protection function you do have watch the screen to see how well it manages the voltage you do not have a way to see over a period of time because the software does not have this function which is a shame if does not have

This is something that would be very useful to me if it had it but I am not a software writer but if I was this would be a function I would have included and might have given up the temperature graph maybe even the overall voltage graph which to dose not do much for me overall

One note the only useful thing about the temperature sensor capability is very useful for when you are doing single battery cells for multiple battery cells to me is not very useful

Anyone have any thoughts about the function of this battery charger used for BMS balancing protection monitoring battery voltage on each individual cell
          Attached Files
          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 08-18-2021, 06:14 PM.
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

i found more software if you use Linux
            https://github.com/search?q=b6+charger

"charge-guru" looks interesting

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              i found more software if you use Linux
              https://github.com/search?q=b6+charger

"charge-guru" looks interesting
              Unfortunately I do not have a Linux machine how would I set up a computer to run it
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

just get a computer or spare harddrive,
                get an install disk/image
                https://www.debian.org/download

and follow the installer - its simpler than window$

Comment

I just have to build a testing jig for this battery tester to make charging battery simpler and faster to hook up I also bought the Bluetooth module for this battery charger tester to use remotely
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

i forgot about this thread.

unfortunatly after stripping my clone B6 i have no serial / usb port or tracks to support one.
                    my unit is much newer than the originals and uses an STM32 series microcontroller though - which is nice

it may still have serial - but i'd have to desolder the display to scope the pins - not going to that trouble!

Comment

Because I found a work around for what I wanted to do I have also given up on designing my own BMS balancing protection voltage monitoring system
                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                      1 Dell Mother Board
                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I bought two of these “ SkyRC Wi-Fi Module use for Certain ESC and Charger ” these devices are interesting in that you can control the SkyRc IMAX b6 battery tester however it is extremely limited in the information that it gives you while it is on charge it shows you the data that is what you see on the tester screen and let control the charger remotely this for a single battery cell now if charge multiple battery cells it show you all the cells like it does like the software does but that all it shows you but remote control device has an issue with when you change from charging to discharge settings it has system failure you have request that function twice before it starts this function correctly but other than this is convenient to control it remotely and the cost of the device is only $25.00 including shipping
                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                        1 Dell Mother Board
                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

are they just bluetooth>serial convertors?
                          i see them all over ali/ebay

Comment

No they are WiFi module that acts like a router and you log on to monitor the battery voltage on your phone or tablet

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20269948728...53.m2749.l2649

I also just bought the last two that this seller had left

I actually bought a total of 4 of them
                            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 09-16-2021, 04:57 PM.
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Update
                              I have updated the firmware on one of my SkyRc IMAX b6 battery charger

I do not understand why this company needs to make everything an issue to do with there products

The procedure to do the firmware update is not straight forward unfortunately first of all the files are in a zip file and do not decompress the way it should you have two separate files that need to be decompress not one file

When you sort out that mess then you have to have the battery charger hooked to the computer and not in use and open the software which is most primitive software that reminds of Dos in a windows format and at first you do not know if you have updated the firmware correctly or not you have to look at the charger screen for when it reboots then you have to reinstall the factory settings and select it in the charger settings and then you will see that the firmware has been updated

The only reason to do this firmware update is if you are using this battery charger in the following matter
                              That you are wanting to charge li-ion battery pack that have more than one cell and you are not using the balancing port if you have the earlier version of this device this was not an option to turn off the balancing port so you could not use the charger for this function correctly because it would give you a balancing port error

Other wise I do not think it is worth the trouble to do this update because this is the only thing that was added from what I could see I could be completely wrong with this there might be something else that was updated but I am not sure what else was updated one thing that was updated is that the software saw this charger as the SkyRc IMAX b6 mini not AC version that it really is now it shows it correctly

On another note

I sent the company that makes this charger an email about the Charge Master software asking them to do a software update for charging multiple battery cells to add a graph to show all battery cells in different colors so you track the battery voltage over time weather or not they will do this or not is any body guess but really hope that they take my insight into the use of there product and make some of these improvements

One thing you will notice is that the lower right side of the screen where the window is for the software update the lowest bar is the bar that turns blue when installing the firmware you see what I mean about being primitive in nature
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 10-09-2021, 03:24 AM.
                              9 PC LCD Monitor
                              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                              1 Dell Mother Board
                              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                              X