Iwill DVD266U-RN with Bad Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iwill DVD266U-RN with Bad Caps

This one is definitely one for the books. While its been known for some time that Hermei caps were not the best of quality, this is the first DVD266u-RN I've seen this bad off. I've never seen one before with vented caps. This customer sent me 2 of them, both with vented Hermei's. This was the worst of the 2.

Upon recapping, the board is working fine. I had issues early on after recapping, turns out the RAM is bad. The DIMM has Nanya chips, which has never been a brand I've had the best luck with, so I can't blame the bad caps for the killed RAM.

<--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: Iwill DVD266U-RN with Bad Caps

had one here last week with purple/gold hermei caps
    they were still flat but a peek at vcore showed .7v p-p of crap.
    a recap fixed it up.
    these have beed known as cranky quirky boards.could these caps be part of this?
    most were .5-.6 ohm esr which is bad for this type of cap.

Comment

I've had a lot of experience with these boards. I have a modded BIOS I made for it, which helps stability, and implements the latest RAID firmware.

http://www.kabalsrealm.com/index.php?op=download;id=4
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

I'm doing very different stuff, but one of the caps (a Nichicon) I have in an ongoing stress test is triple its initial ESR and isn't swollen.

When you look at the ripple, the part to look at is the VRM switch frequency component. The spikes are probably noise radiated into the ground lead of your 'scope.
        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA
          I'm doing very different stuff, but one of the caps (a Nichicon) I have in an ongoing stress test is triple its initial ESR and isn't swollen.

When you look at the ripple, the part to look at is the VRM switch frequency component. The spikes are probably noise radiated into the ground lead of your 'scope.
          well aware of that.not a problem here.i had to use a well shielded lead on the old tek 214 to keep ignition crap out when looking at o2,ks,ect.
          which series nichicons are you stress testing?

Comment

This one has been running rock solid since the recap and BIOS update. After the BIOS update, it plays nice with his RAM now, where before it would crash constantly and fail diagnostics. This has been one of the most reliable ones I've worked with, and the first I actually recapped. I havent had my scope out since I moved to my new shop, I only use it when I get a troublesome board. Smaller issues I can usually chase out with my meter alone. If I have to break out the scope, its an expensive board, that's actually worth fixing....
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

PM, PR, PJ, PW, and HE so far
              PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
              To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Working...
              X