ASRock P4V88 with bad Taicon caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ASRock P4V88 with bad Taicon caps

Do we know if these failed Taicons could be the "cousins" of the bad HN/HM series Nichicons? Perhaps someone could dissect one of either for a comparison.

After all, Taicon is supposed to be a Taiwanese daughter company of Nichicon Japan.

Comment

Figured it would be cheaper to buy a new one, and while I have skills with computers there's no way I am technical enough to attempt soldering on my own lol.

Haven't really been able to find anything impressive for a replacement though, since these boards really aren't made any more. I've been searching around on newegg on and off for the last couple of days and have only come up with a $70 MSI board. May have to check out ebay or some other sites.

Any suggestions on a good, kind of inexpensive motherboard that won't run into the same capacitor problems? Something that can run a P4 ht 2.4ghz 800 fsb Prescott and has dual channel support for DDR 400. Not really worried about raid for the moment since this will be a replacement until I get around to building a system with newer technology.
      Last edited by Strayng1122; 05-15-2006, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Re: Do I Have Bad Caps?

Originally posted by kc8adu
        iirc that sai2 was new when i got it.guess we will see if the caps go t/u.
        I took a peek at it yesturday cleaning the case of its dust bunnies.......... The board is still working like a champ with its dual 1.4GHz CPU's, and the caps look just fine physically. It's been running 24/7 for over a year as a web server, so I'll definitely keep a closer eye on it from now on. To add to the Taicon bashing, I did get a no-namer motherboard a couple weeks ago that was packed with bad Taicons. I guess the days until recapping my SAI2 are numbered...
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Strayng1122
          Figured it would be cheaper to buy a new one, and while I have skills with computers there's no way I am technical enough to attempt soldering on my own lol.

Haven't really been able to find anything impressive for a replacement though, since these boards really aren't made any more. I've been searching around on newegg on and off for the last couple of days and have only come up with a $70 MSI board. May have to check out ebay or some other sites.

Any suggestions on a good, kind of inexpensive motherboard that won't run into the same capacitor problems? Something that can run a P4 ht 2.4ghz 800 fsb Prescott and has dual channel support for DDR 400. Not really worried about raid for the moment since this will be a replacement until I get around to building a system with newer technology.
          ewiz.com has 20 mainboards that meet your price point. Your call on choice. They are a decent vendor but the shipping dept doesn't box things real well, just good enough. The Egg is OK but not the bottom line for good pricing or the selection of older hardware.

Note: If you buy from ewiz, add something else you need to the order. That way the mainboard will have to be double boxed, as they might just ship it in the retail box.

Sell the old board, for recapping, in our for sale forum. Or do as I have done, practice soldering on it and you will develope the skills.

Comment

Working...
          X