X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel D865GBF - Can it be fixed?

I have the following motherboard:
    Intel Desktop Board D865GBF/D865PERC

It also has E210882 Silkscreened on the board.

There is a bar coded label which reads: ABBF41428624 AA C25843-407 (I assume that C25843-407 is the serial & revision)

The board was given to me as not working and its history is unknown.

The problem with this board is that it does not boot up. The fan just turns on power up and then nothing.

PICTURES (NOT mine but SIMILAR)
    While the picture below is not of my motherboard, it is nearly identical in looks.
    http://csciwww.etsu.edu/tarnoff/labs...mb_picture.jpg

The following picture is clearer. However it is different in that the BIOS chip is in a socket. Also the yellow capacitors in line with the CPU socket are different. Mine are metaalic with blue markings on top as in the previous picture.
    http://www.ixbt.com/mainboard/images...5gbf-board.jpg

The board has the following capacitors (hopefully the above pictures will aid understanding my text):

1. 1x nichicon 2200uF 10V capacitor near the SATA-1 connector. This was bulging so I replaced it with a Rubycon 2200uF 6.3v. Is it ok to do that? The capacitor value is the same but the voltage is lower.

2. 4x nichicon 1200uF 16v capacitors (also marked HD(M)) between the CPU and the back panel connectors.

3. 5x Rubycon 820uF 6.3v, 3 of them by the cpu socket, the other 2 are at each end of the DIM socket nearest the CPU

4. Then there are numerous other small nichicon capacitors peppered about the board.

Other than the nichicon 2200uF 10V, in item 1 above, all other capacitors look OK. No bulging or leaking.

Replacing the nichicon 2200uF 10V with the Rubycon 2200uF 6.3v has had no effect.

My questions

Does anyone know whether my problem is related to bad caps? If yes what capacitors are the likely culprits?

Can this motherboard be saved? Or will other components have been damaged?

I have some more Rubycon 2200uF 6.3v in my spares, can I replace the 4x nichicon 1200uF 16v with these?

What is the rule for replacing capacitors in terms of their values and voltages? I have a number of capacitors available but not the same values/voltages.

I hope someone knowledgeable with this board can help.

Re: Intel D865GBF - Can it be fixed?

I just noticed that the pictures are not viewable.

I did a google search for: D865GBF as follows and the images page shows these as the first two pictures. Hope it helps.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?so...=1&sa=N&tab=wi

Comment

>> Intel Desktop Board D865GBF/D865PERC <<
      One of these is the model number.
      Intel does this a lot.
      It's a case of two different models built to the same reference design.
      They might not look the same as each other.
      Often one is a uATX version and the other is a full sized ATX board.
      Sometimes one has LAN (or sound, or something) and the other doesn't.

>> It also has E210882 Silkscreened on the board. <<
      This doesn't have anything to do with a model number.
      Many completely different Intel boards will have this number.
      It's sort of like a UL number or an FCC ID number but it indicates compliance with some Australian regulation.

D865GBF/D865PERC is on Intel's published list of boards with possible faulty Nichicon HN and/or HM series caps.

The (M) indicates the tolerance (+/- 20%) and is not part of the series number.

Switching in a 6.3v for a 10v is okay on a motherboard.
      You KNOW it's not on a 12v circuit or it would be a 16v+ cap.
      The next highest voltage on a motherboard is 5v.
      .. So you know it's on a 5v or less circuit and 6.3v is fine.

The HD and Rubycon should be fine unless the boad was overheated (poorly cooled) or connected to a shoddy power supply.

Odds are a recap will fix it. Hard to say for sure as running too long with a bad PSU or with bad caps can damage other things.

Umm,, rules?
      Always check specs on old caps and try to match.
      If you must substitute the safe directions are:
      Going with lower ESR.
      Going with higher ripple.
      Going with more uF (within reason, one 'step' in standard sizes is fine)
      - uF goes down with age anyway and 1 step is most always within the 20% tolerance.
      Going up in voltage.
      - Except as noted on motherboards you can go down in volts ONLY IF you check the actual circuit voltage with a meter under all conditions. Caps rated voltage needs to be higher than the max actual circuit voltage at any given time.

If as sometimes happens the ratings on the origionals can't be found then go with typical values for that kind of motherboard. You'll get a feel for that after a while. In the mean time just ask one of the old farts in here.

Last edited by PCBONEZ; 12-21-2008, 07:15 AM.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by mosaddique

I have some more Rubycon 2200uF 6.3v in my spares, can I replace the 4x nichicon 1200uF 16v with these?
        The voltage across those 16v, 1200uF (HD) capacitor is +12V. You can't use 6.3v rating caps.

Comment

Yes,
          I missed that.
          Brian_C is correct.
          Cap voltage must be equal to or higher than max voltage in the circuit it's on.
          Max voltage = Operating + Ripple voltages.

HD series is reliable anyway and shouldn't need changed unless some outside influence caused it to bloat.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

PCBONEZ and Brian_C thank you very much for your input.

PCBONEZ, that was a very good summarised answer. It seems a recap may solve it but not guaranteed.

I also noticed that switching on the PSU (after I replaced the bulging nichicon 2200uF) would cause a small spark within the PSU. This was without any other hardware equipped (No memory, No CPU, No Floppy, nothing). It would therefore seem that somewhere there is a lot of current being drained from the PSU. This does not happen on a normal working motherboard with the same PSU.

I wonder whether this is just bad caps or other failed components as well.

Finally what are your thoughts on cannibalising capacitors from old known working slot 1/ socket 370 motherboards?

Thank you for your replies so far and seasons greetings to you and other readers.

Comment

Even if connected to a bad Mobo the PSU should not spark.
              Probably have marginal PSU and Mobo problems are complicating things.
              Marginal PSU may have also been the cause of some of your cap problems.

>> Finally what are your thoughts on cannibalizing capacitors from old known working slot 1/ socket 370 motherboards?<<
              Can't generalize that one.
              It depends on what the specs of the old and new caps are.
              Caps on old slot 1 / 370 boards may not have low enough ESR depending on what they are replacing.
              Caps out near PCI slots and so forth aren't different since P3 because that area of a motherboard hasn't changed much but caps for RAM and CPU and Chipset since P3 require better grades that P3 needed. On the other hand some P3 boards used caps of grades higher than actually required.
              You just have to look at the specs for each cap in question.

-

- Dr Seuss
              -
              -

Comment

[Also]
                A motherboard with only 3 or 4 caps dedicated to whatever purpose is probably using higher grade caps than one using 10 or 15 caps to do the same job.

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

Hi mosaddique, I suggest you check the resistance (wrt GND) of every supply pin of the 20-p power connector on the motherboard. http://www.smpspowersupply.com/connector_atx_pinout.GIF
                  Supply pin ( +3.3v, +5v, +12v, -5v, -12v ) must not shorted to GND.

Comment

that spark is probably the cheap switch in your psu.

Comment

Working...
                    X