Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dynalink RTA1320 uses capacitors which don't exist!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dynalink RTA1320 uses capacitors which don't exist!

I need some help with replacement capacitors for my ADSL Router.

It's a Dynalink RTA1320 - and none of the capacitors match anything on the datasheets

It's got:

2x G-Luxon SM Series 1000uF 25v
    2x Ost RLK Series 200uF 10v
    1x G-Luxon LZ Series 47uF 25v

The RLK and LZ don't appear on the datasheets in those values.
    The SM appears in the value, but in a bigger size.

As such, I guess they are all cusom jobs and therefore I don't know what their specifications are.

The Ost and G-Luxon LZ are slightly bulging, but the SM are OK. The are just after the bridge rectifier and so I guess they have a fairly easy job. I still would rather replace them, though.
    Attached Files
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Re: Dynalink RTA1320 uses capacitors which don't exist!

Well, you already know the voltage and capacitance since they're printed on the capacitor. That leaves you wanting to figure out the ripple and ESR.

Within *the same series* ripple current and ESR are dependent on the can size. So, measure the SM to get its size - diameter and height. Find something in the SM datasheet that is the same physical size, and that will tell you the ripple and ESR of your capacitor. If you can't find the exact size, you can find close sizes and interpolate a bit. Repeat for the other series.

Comment

go you need a new router? i have a netgear wgr614 wireless g you can have for the price of shipping...

Comment

Nice offer but what would it cost to send to New Zealand? Probably more than I can buy new capacitors for this one, I think.
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

oh oops i missed that you were so far. are those caps 105c rted? then i would say just use psu-grade caps.

Comment

Going by yyonline's advice, Panasonic's FM series seems to be a good fit to replace the Ost RLK and G-Luxon LZ.

However, I have since found that the datasheet for the G-Luxon SM appears to have no specification for ESR.

This makes sense, as they are described as general purpose capacitors rather than Low-ESR, but doesn't help me much.

On one hand, they look OK, and I think they don't have much of a hard job either. (Someone please correct me if I am completely wrong here!)

On the other hand, they ARE G-Luxon, this router DOES run hot, and replacement would probably be a good idea.

But again, I just don't know what I would replace them with!

Perhaps Samxon? But do Jaycar still sell those? I thought they had switched to Suntan (which apparently are junk)
            -David VanHorn

Comment

my vote=leave them alone

Comment

After looking at pretty much every 1000uF 25v 105°C capacitor on RS-Components I realised that they were all too big: 20 - 30mm high when I need 16mm or so.

I checked the voltage across them (11.4v) and figured, well 16v ones should work then.

Now, I can find some that will actually fit. As far as I can see, the Panasonic NHG series look like a good replacement. Hopefully someone else can confirm this.
                Attached Files
                -David VanHorn

Comment

The two OST look like they are already gone.

Derating voltage is good if you know the limits. Measure the working voltage of the rest and derate. This gets you into better ESR and easier to get capacitors. I'd rather have a pair of super low ESR 560uf, 680uf, or 820uf capacitors instead of those high ESR OST.
                  sig files are for morons

Comment

I know the OST are stuffed. I was going to replace them with Panasonic FM.

One measures 3.3 volts across it and the other 1.6 volts
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

I replaced the capacitors today

Now the router doesn't make a funny hissing noise anymore, but the capacitors run so damn hot!

Anyway, I'll see how long these go for, if they fail too soon I'll try something else... maybe poly-mod even (if that's sensible)
                      Attached Files
                      -David VanHorn

Comment

I would measure voltage on those small caps.
                        The 47uF one can be replaced by a ceramic and it should work for ages and one problem less.

I see they use ordinary 34064a chips. Quite lossy. I had problems before with such.

They get hot - especially with low input voltage.

Input caps aren't stressed much.

I would go with ceramic on the output as well if it doesn't cause any whine or overheating. (And turn the router sideways so the hottest part would be on top, and add a bit of heatsinking to those hot chips)

What i did with some is - changed coils for higher uH rating or simply added a few more turns on them
                        Replaced diodes with shottky versions on input
                        Replaced dides in switching circuit with 3A shottky (probably 1A only now)

This cut losses by 0.5W from 6.3 to 5.8W which was then manageble.

Comment

The 220uF are 3.3v and 1.5v
                          I think the 47uF was 5v
                          The 1000uF are 11.4v
                          -David VanHorn

Comment

Ah, no problem using ceramic then. Might even work with tantalums if you can't get your hands on big ceramic caps/don't want to stack them.

However, if those wapanese caps held that long in such environment, these should do their work much longer.

Input voltage is a bit on the low side, fine if you are using 9V unregulated transformer supply, but for 12V supply it should be a bit higher, in range of ~15V

Comment

Yeah, it just uses a 9v AC transformer.
                              -David VanHorn

Comment

It's fine then.

34063a is also cheap to get and repair. Quite common part.

Comment

just use fm in all.
                                  in most cases there is no such thing as too low esr.

Comment

Uuh. Caps get heated also by magnetic energy dissipated in coils. Would be good to keep them on a bit longer leads and turn them away from heat

Comment

Do you think it's just the design putting too much ripple through them or something?
                                      -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                      X